MER Spirit: EDL Sequeunces and Time Line

Old January 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
Pat Flannery

Default MER Spirit: EDL Sequeunces and Time Line

rk wrote:

MER Spirit: EDL Sequeunces and Time Line

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tl_entry1.html

Let's hope that the ghoul is still happily munching on Beagle, and lets
this one sneak through; by the way, do those three pictures it takes on
the way down to check its lateral velocity get transmitted back to Earth
later on?

Pat

Old January 3rd 04, 10:58 PM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

Dunno, I would imagine so for engineering purposes. If we don't see
them, remind me, I'll ask (I have a number of friends on that
program but don't want to bother them now).

I would imagine that by now they've chewed their fingernails down past
the first knuckle, especially considering how well the MPL worked. What
makes the Mars probes so annoying is the long wait between launch and
landing in which you get your hopes up; at least back in the
Ranger/Surveyor days you knew in fairly short order if it worked or
not...then there is of course the Huygen's team... I imagine they are
starting to get a little nervous around now.

Pat