news flash.......mosley bleeds from O-ring.

Old June 17th 04, 01:51 AM
Derek Lyons

"Ami Silberman" wrote:
"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote

...Me, I salute even thought I no longer wear the uniform. To be
totally honest, I've always felt that the hand-over-heart was sort
of...well, a bit fey.

And, never having been in the military but hanging out with a bunch of
military and ex-military types, I would feel improper saluting. Instead, I
do the hand-over heart thing during the anthem or a flag presentation.

Oddly enough Ami, hand-over-the-heart is exactly what you are
*supposed* to do. (In my case it's hat-in-hand-over-heart as I
usually wear a hat or cap of some kind when I am outdoors.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 17th 04, 02:20 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Stuf4" wrote in message
m...
From Greg Moo
"Stuf4" wrote

Take a look at those pictures of astronauts standing on the Moon
saluting the flag. They are doing so out of habit, because they are
active duty military personnel.

(http://images.google.com/images?sour...e=UTF-8&q=apol
lo+salute)

I have never seen a single photo of any non-military astronaut
saluting the flag on the Moon. I am guessing that they considered it
improper for a civilian to do that.

You know, I've never been in the military, but I salute the flag when I

hang
it outside my house.

People outside the military DO tend to give the flag respect you know.

Whether or not you are aware of it, flag protocol is explicitly
specified by United States Code. According to this code, those who
are to render a hand salute are military personnel, and that is *only*
when they are in uniform.

Actually the only reading I get of that is that applies during the pledge of
allegience.

In any case, I'll continue to show my respect how I feel appropriate thank
you very much.

Old June 17th 04, 02:21 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
..

Oddly enough Ami, hand-over-the-heart is exactly what you are
*supposed* to do. (In my case it's hat-in-hand-over-heart as I
usually wear a hat or cap of some kind when I am outdoors.)

Interestingly enough, in parades and the like I do the same. Only at home
do I do it differently.

Of course unfortunately it's fairly rare these days to see many people show
proper respect to the flag during parades, etc.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Old June 17th 04, 03:26 AM
Stuf4

From Ami Silberman:
snip
I was asking because we have ample documentation of every single moonwalk.
The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal has comments by 11 of the 12 moonwalkers
(John Young hadn't commented, IIRC), and I was wondering if any of them
mentioned why they saluted. It isn't important enough for me to want to look
it up, but I was wondering if CT had, or had read something about it, or was
pulling it out of thin air. IIRC at least one astronaut (Shepard IIRC),
stated that he saluted because seeing the flag on the moon made him feel
very patriotic. That doesn't seem like "reflex" to me. I would have asked
the same question if CT had said that the military astros had been ordered
to salute.

I did not mean -out of habit- in a Pavlovian sense.

10 of the 12 were active military officers. Those are significant
stats to contrast any view that Apollo was purely civilian.

The 10 of 12 was the focus of my comment. I chose to share that
through the lunar saluting aspect because pictures can have a way of
speaking more powerfully than words.

At this point in time, I have little interest in pursuing any deeper
reasons *why* they saluted. I am satisfied with my current
understanding here.

If anyone does want to look deeper and they find something interesting
(like they were ordered to salute, or whatever) then I may choose to
revisit the topic.

~ CT
Old June 17th 04, 03:45 AM
Stuf4

From Scott Hedrick:
"LaDonna Wyss" wrote
(I hate when this thing doesn't post your message and you have to
start over.)

An easy way to get around that problem is that before you hit Post, be
sure to highlight and then copy your entire message. If you have any
problems, then just repaste.

Use a real newsreader and take your time. They are freely available for
download.

I consider GoogleGroups to be an excellent interface. I have used it
for every single post I have ever made to Usenet. I haven't tried any
downloaded newsreaders. If I were convinced that there was a
significant advantage, then I might.

~ CT
Old June 17th 04, 03:51 AM
Dave Michelson

LaDonna Wyss wrote:

CT, you go. You're doing quite well, and it's wonderful to hear a
voice of reason.

Would people PLEASE just killfile this person and be done with it.

If the above doesn't confirm that no good can come from attempting to "reason"
with "it", then nothing will.

I'm referring to you Scott. You, too, OM. Herb, Daniel: That goes for you,
too. And everyone else who sees the need to reply to "it".

Thanks.

--
Dave Michelson

Old June 17th 04, 04:00 AM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Ami Silberman wrote:

And the photo "Aldrin Saluting the Flag" on the site LaDonna posted
has him with his hands by his sides.

Jeeze...what a surprise... :-D

Kinda reminds one of Brad Guth's prior use of a map of *Mars* for
Venus, on his site...

( And, you should see a loon from another group I visit: She
claimed that Manitoba is in... *Africa*... Seriously. g )

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old June 17th 04, 04:50 AM
OM

On 17 Jun 2004 03:00:06 GMT, (Andre Lieven)
wrote:

Kinda reminds one of Brad Guth's prior use of a map of *Mars* for
Venus, on his site...

....I'm still convinced it's just a closeup photo of a Totino's Cheese
Pizza.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old June 17th 04, 04:52 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:51:15 GMT, Dave Michelson
wrote:

I'm referring to you Scott. You, too, OM. Herb, Daniel: That goes for you,
too. And everyone else who sees the need to reply to "it".

....Dave, read my earlier post, #666. I sent the flatulent bitch to
Killfile Hell along with "scott's" two accounts *and* Paul "Gestapo"
Maxson's new one.

Ironically, I let Daniel Maxson out on parole. Something about yins
yanking yangs, or something like that...

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr