Daily Report #4266

Old December 26th 06, 07:18 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Lynn Bassford

Default Daily Report #4266

DAILY REPORT # 4266

PERIOD COVERED: UT December 22,23,24,25, 2006 (DOY 356,357,358,359)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

NIC3 11062

NICMOS non-linearity tests

This program incorporates a number of tests to analyse the count rate
dependent non-linearity seen in NICMOS spectro-photometric
observations. We will observe a field with stars of a range in
luminosity in NGC3603 with NICMOS in NIC1: F090M, F110W, F140W, F160W
NIC2: F110W, F160W, F187W, F205W, and F222M NIC3: F110W, F150W, F160W,
F175W, and F222M. We will repeat the observations with flatfield lamp
on, creating artificially high count-rates, allowing tests of NICMOS
linearity as function of count rate. We first take exposures with the
lamp off, then exposures with the lamp on, and repeat at the end with
lamp off. Finally, we continue with taking darks during occultation.
We will furthermore observe spectro-photometric standard P041C using
the G096, G141, and G206 grisms in NIC3, and repeat the lamp
off/on/off test to artificially create a high background.

ACS/HRC 11053

Earth Flats

Sky flats will be obtained by observing the bright Earth with the HRC
and WFC. These observations will be used to verify the accuracy of the
latest pipeline flats and to monitor any changes. Weekly coronagraphic
monitoring is required to assess the changing position of the spots.

ACS/HRC 11041

ACS CCDs daily monitor

This program consists of a set of basic tests to monitor, the read
noise, the development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise
in ACS CCD detectors. The files, biases and dark will be used to
create reference files for science calibration. This programme will be
for the entire lifetime of ACS. For cycle 15 the program will cover 18
months 12.1.06-05.31.08 and it has been divied into three different
proposal each covering six months. The three proposals are
11041-11042-11043.

ACS/HRC 10991

Light Echoes from SN 2006X in M100

We propose a minimal investment of spacecraft time to discover and
confirm a light echo from Supernova 2006X in M100, the closest Type Ia
in many years. Our spectroscopic and photometric data indicate that
this SN sits behind a large amount of interstellar dust likely to
produce a strong echo signal. This is one of very few cases where we
will be able to study the three-dimensional environment of a SN Ia in
full detail, and begin to understand how environmental effects play
into the evolutionary and observational factors which influence the
utility of SN Ia as standard candles for probing cosmology. We propose
an efficient program to definitively detect {or not} a light echo of
reasonable signal strength, to confirm that it is an echo by
demonstrating apparent superluminal motion if it exists, to map the
three-dimensional geometry of the reflecting interstellar structures,
and to detail the reflectance properties of the dust which can be used
to constrain ! its grain size and composition distribution.

ACS/WFC 10918

Reducing Systematic Errors on the Hubble Constant: Metallicity
Calibration of the Cepheid PL Relation

Reducing the systematic errors on the Hubble constant is still of
significance and of immediate importance to modern cosmology. One of
the largest remaining uncertainties in the Cepheid- based distance
scale {which itself is at the foundation of the HST Key Project
determination of H_o} which can now be addressed directly by HST, is
the effect of metallicity on the Cepheid Period-Luminosity relation.
Three chemically distinct regions in M101 will be used to directly
measure and thereby calibrate the change in zero point of the Cepheid
PL relation over a range of metallicities that run from SMC-like,
through Solar, to metallicities as high as the most metal- enriched
galaxies in the pure Hubble flow. ACS for the first time offers the
opportunity to make a precise calibration of this effect which
currently accounts for at least a third of the total systematic
uncertainty on Ho. The calibration will be made in the V and I
bandpasses so as to be immediately and directly applicable to the
entire HST Cepheid-based distance scale sample, and most especially to
the highest-metallicity galaxies that were hosts to the Type Ia
supernovae, which were then used to extend the the distance scale
calibration out to cosmologically significant distances.

ACS/HRC/WFC 10896

An Efficient ACS Coronagraphic Survey for Debris Disks around Nearby
Stars

We propose to finish our Cycle 11 optical survey for nearby debris
disks using the ACS/HRC coronagraph. Out of 43 orbits originally
proposed for the survey, 23 orbits were allocated, leading to a survey
of 22 stars, from which two new debris disks were imaged for the first
time. Our analysis of the initial survey gives an empirical estimate
for the detection rate of debris disks relative to heliocentric
distance and dust optical depth. Our target list for Cycle 15 is now
optimized to yield more frequent disk detections. Likewise our
observing strategy is improved to maximize sensitivity per telescope
orbit allocated. Therefore we present the most efficient survey
possible. The scientific motivation is to obtain scattered light
images of previously unresolved debris disks to determine their
viewing geometry and physical architecture, both of which may
characterize the underlying planetary system. We choose 25 debris disk
targets for which we predict a detection rate of 25% ? 5%. Four
targets have extrasolar planets from which the viewing geometry
revealed by a disk detection will resolve the v sin{i} ambiguity in
the planet masses. These targets present the remarkable opportunity of
finally seeing a debris disk in system with known planets.

NIC3 10894

Probing the Birth of Super Star Clusters with NICMOS

The formation of ``super star clusters" represents an extreme mode of
star formation in the local universe. Star clusters with radii 5pc
and masses exceeding 10^4 solar masses are now known to be common in
starbursts. These clusters are amazingly densely packed with massive
stars, and can have a violent impact on their host galaxies and the
surrounding IGM. The effects of massive star clusters perhaps were
even more important in the earlier universe, when galaxy mergers and
starbursts were common, and the formation of massive globular clusters
was ubiquitous. However, our knowledge of the formation and early
evolution of such massive clusters remains poorly understood, and
observations have only begun to probe these stages. The near-IR fluxes
and colors of natal clusters change dramatically in their early stages
of evolution, providing important diagnostics. We will use NICMOS to
explore the early evolution of massive star clusters through
observations of a sample of nearby starburst galaxies containing the
recently discovered ultra-young massive star clusters. First
identified as compact optically- thick free-free radio sources, these
natal clusters are still embedded in their birth material and obscured
at optical wavelengths. Sensitive, high-resolution observations in the
near-IR are critical for investigating the properties of these
clusters as they evolve from being completely obscured by their natal
clouds to fully emerged and optically visible. NICMOS F160W, F205W,
F187N, and F190N {roughly H, K, and Pa-alpha} images will allow us to
determine their ages, extinctions, ionizing fluxes, embedded stellar
masses, and the morphological relationship between radio, mid-IR, and
optically visible clusters. These results will ultimately provide
insight into the earliest stages of super star cluster evolution and
the properties of massive star formation throughout the universe.

ACS/WFC/WFPC2 10890

Morphologies of the Most Extreme High-Redshift Mid-IR-Luminous
Galaxies

The formative phase of the most massive galaxies may be extremely
luminous, characterized by intense star- and AGN-formation. Till now,
few such galaxies have been unambiguously identified at high redshift,
restricting us to the study of low-redshift ultraluminous infrared
galaxies as possible analogs. We have recently discovered a sample of
objects which may indeed represent this early phase in galaxy
formation, and are undertaking an extensive multiwavelength study of
this population. These objects are bright at mid-IR wavelengths
{F[24um]0.8mJy}, but deep ground based imaging suggests extremely
faint {and in some cases extended} optical counterparts {R~24-27}.
Deep K-band images show barely resolved galaxies. Mid-infrared
spectroscopy with Spitzer/IRS reveals that they have redshifts z ~
2-2.5, suggesting bolometric luminosities ~10^{13-14}Lsun! We propose
to obtain deep ACS F814W and NIC2 F160W images of these sources and
their environs in order to determine kpc-scale morphologies and
surface photometry for these galaxies. The proposed observations will
help us determine whether these extreme objects are merging systems,
massive obscured starbursts {with obscuration on kpc scales!} or very
reddened {locally obscured} AGN hosted by intrinsically low-luminosity
galaxies.

ACS/WFC 10886

The Sloan Lens ACS Survey: Towards 100 New Strong Lenses

As a continuation of the highly successful Sloan Lens ACS {SLACS}
Survey for new strong gravitational lenses, we propose one orbit of
ACS-WFC F814W imaging for each of 50 high- probability strong
galaxy-galaxy lens candidates. These observations will confirm new
lens systems and permit immediate and accurate photometry, shape
measurement, and mass modeling of the lens galaxies. The lenses
delivered by the SLACS Survey all show extended source structure,
furnishing more constraints on the projected lens potential than
lensed-quasar image positions. In addition, SLACS lenses have lens
galaxies that are much brighter than their lensed sources,
facilitating detailed photometric and dynamical observation of the
former. When confirmed lenses from this proposal are combined with
lenses discovered by SLACS in Cycles 13 and 14, we expect the final
SLACS lens sample to number 80--100: an approximate doubling of the
number of known galaxy-scale strong gravitational lenses and an
order-of-magnitude increase in the number of optical Einstein rings.
By virtue of its homogeneous selection and sheer size, the SLACS
sample will allow an unprecedented exploration of the mass structure
of the early-type galaxy population as a function of all other
observable quantities. This new sample will be a valuable resource to
the astronomical community by enabling qualitatively new strong
lensing science, and as such we will waive all but a short {3-month}
proprietary period on the observations.

ACS/WFC 10882

Emission Line Snapshots of 3CR Radio Galaxies

Radio galaxies are an important class of extragalactic objects: they
are one of the most energetic astrophysical phenomena and they provide
an exceptional probe of the evolving Universe, lying typically in high
density regions but well-represented across a wide redshift range. In
earlier Cycles we carried out extensive HST observations of the 3CR
sources in order to acquire a complete and quantitative inventory of
the structure, contents and evolution of these important objects. We
discovered new optical jets, dust lanes, and revealed point-like
nuclei whose properties support AGN unified schemes. Here, we propose
to obtain ACS emission line images at low and high excitation of 3CR
sources with z0.3, both low- and classical high- power radio
galaxies, as a major enhancement to an already superb dataset. We aim
to probe fundamental relationships between warm optical line-emitting
gas, radio source structure {jets and lobes} and X-ray coronal halos.
We will combine our existing UV images with new emission- line images
to establish quantitative star formation characteristics and their
relation to dust and merging, and with emission-line excitation maps,
test theories on ionization beam patterns and luminosities from active
nuclei. We will seek jet induced star formation and knowing optical
emission-line physics, investigate quantitative jet physics. The
nuclear emission line properties of the galaxies will themselves be
established and used as ingredients in continuing tests of unified AGN
theories. The resulting database will be an incredibly valuable
resource to the astronomical community for years to come.

ACS/WFC 10875

A Snapshot Survey of The Most Massive Clusters of Galaxies

We propose the continuation of our highly successful Cycle14 snapshot
survey of a sample of 123 very X-ray luminous clusters in the redshift
range 0.3-0.7. As demonstrated by the 21 snapshots obtained so far in
Cycle14 these systems frequently exhibit strong gravitational lensing
as well as spectacular examples of violent galaxy evolution. The
proposed observations will provide important constraints on the
cluster mass distributions, the physical nature of galaxy-galaxy and
galaxy-gas interactions in cluster cores, and a set of optically
bright, lensed galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy. Acknowledging
the broad community interest in this sample we waive our data rights
for these observations.

ACS/HRC/WFPC2/NIC3 10842

A Cepheid Distance to the Coma Cluster

We propose to use the Advanced Camera for Surveys to search for
Cepheid variables in two spiral galaxies in the core of the Coma
cluster. A direct application of the canonical primary distance
indicator at 100 Mpc will measure the far-field Hubble constant free
of many of the systematic uncertainties which beset current
determinations relying on secondary indicators. Establishing the
far-field H_o with Cepheids will provide one of the strongest links in
the extragalactic distance scale and will directly calibrate the
fiducial fundamental plane of elliptical galaxies in Coma. With
ACS/HRC, S/N=5 to 10 or better can be reached for Cepheids with
periods of 40d to 70d at mean light in 5 orbits with the F606W filter
if H_o=72 km/s/Mpc. Efficient detection and phasing can be done with
twelve epochs optimally spaced for periods of 40-70d.

ACS/WFC 10835

Probing The Globular Cluster / Low Mass X-ray Binary Connection in
Early-type Galaxies At Low X-ray

Combined high-resolution imaging from Hubble and Chandra {CXO} has
revolutionized our understanding of extragalactic low-mass X-ray
binaries {LMXBs} and globular clusters {GCs}, yet their connection in
early-type galaxies has remained unstudied at the luminosities of the
Galactic LMXBs in GCs. NGC 4278 and 3379 will be the first two
prototypical elliptical galaxies with deep CXO observations enabling
the study of LMXBs at lower luminosities. We propose mosaic ACS
observations of both galaxies {5 fields per galaxy} that will provide
the most comprehensive view into the connection between GCs and LMXBs
in early-type galaxies. We will detect ~860 and ~270 GCs in all of NGC
4278 and NGC 3379, respectively. These two galaxies will have among
the greatest number of detected GC-LMXBs to date {~130 & 50} and will
include the faintest GC-LMXBs in a normal early-type galaxy. We will
measure the fraction of GCs which contain LMXBs, as a function of
X-ray luminosity, galactocentric distance, color, and GC half-light
radius. Using the radial profiles of optical light, GCs, and LMXBs, we
will determine the percentage of field LMXBs which may have originated
in GCs. We will use the measured GC properties over the entire extent
of both galaxies to constrain theories of GC formation and evolution.

ACS/WFC 10809

The nature of "dry" mergers in the nearby Universe

Recent studies have shown that "dry" mergers of red, bulge-dominated
galaxies at low redshift play an important role in shaping today's
most massive ellipticals. These mergers have been identified in
extremely deep ground-based images of red sequence galaxies at z ~
0.1. The ground-based images reach surface brightness limits of AB ~
29, but lack the resolution to study the morphologies of the galaxies
inside the effective radius. Here we propose to obtain ACS images of a
representative sample of 40 of these red sequence galaxies: 15 ongoing
dry mergers, 15 remnants, and 10 undisturbed objects. We will measure
the isophote shapes and ellipticities of the galaxies, their dust
content, morphological fine structure {shells and ripples}, AGN
content, and their location on the Fundamental Plane. By comparing
galaxies in different stages of the merging process we can constrain
the amount of gas associated with these red mergers, the effect of
active nuclei, and track structural changes. As two galaxies can be
observed in a single orbit 20 orbits are requested to observe the 40
galaxies.

NIC2, ACS/WFC 10802

SHOES-Supernovae, HO, for the Equation of State of Dark energy

The present uncertainty in the value of the Hubble constant {resulting
in an uncertainty in Omega_M} and the paucity of Type Ia supernovae at
redshifts exceeding 1 are now the leading obstacles to determining the
nature of dark energy. We propose a single, integrated set of
observations for Cycle 15 that will provide a 40% improvement in
constraints on dark energy. This program will observe known Cepheids
in six reliable hosts of Type Ia supernovae with NICMOS, reducing the
uncertainty in H_0 by a factor of two because of the smaller
dispersion along the instability strip, the diminished extinction, and
the weaker metallicity dependence in the infrared. In parallel with
ACS, at the same time the NICMOS observations are underway, we will
discover and follow a sample of Type Ia supernovae at z 1. Together,
these measurements, along with prior constraints from WMAP, will
provide a great improvement in HST's ability to distinguish between a
static, cosmological constant and dynamical dark energy. The Hubble
Space Telescope is the only instrument in the world that can make
these IR measurements of Cepheids beyond the Local Group, and it is
the only telescope in the world that can be used to find and follow
supernovae at z 1. Our program exploits both of these unique
capabilities of HST to learn more about one of the greatest mysteries
in science.

ACS/HRC 10800

Kuiper Belt Binaries: Probes of Early Solar System Evolution

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt are a scientific windfall: in them we have
relatively fragile test particles which can be used as tracers of the
early dynamical evolution of the outer Solar System. We propose to
continue a Snapshot program using the ACS/HRC that has a demonstrated
discovery potential an order of magnitude higher than the HST
observations that have already discovered the majority of known
transneptunian binaries. With this continuation we seek to reach the
original goals of this project: to accumulate a sufficiently large
sample in each of the distinct populations collected in the Kuiper
Belt to be able to measure, with statistical significance, how the
fraction of binaries varies as a function of their particular
dynamical paths into the Kuiper Belt. Today's Kuiper Belt bears the
imprints of the final stages of giant-planet building and migration;
binaries may offer some of the best preserved evidence of that
long-ago era.

ACS/WFC 10787

Modes of Star Formation and Nuclear Activity in an Early Universe
Laboratory

Nearby compact galaxy groups are uniquely suited to exploring the
mechanisms of star formation amid repeated and ongoing gravitational
encounters, conditions similar to those of the high redshift universe.
These dense groups host a variety of modes of star formation, and they
enable fresh insights into the role of gas in galaxy evolution. With
Spitzer mid-IR observations in hand, we have begun to obtain high
quality, multi-wavelength data for a well-defined sample of 12 nearby
{4500km/s} compact groups covering the full range of evolutionary
stages. Here we propose to obtain sensitive BVI images with the
ACS/WFC, deep enough to reach the turnover of the globular cluster
luminosity function, and WFPC2 U-band and ACS H-alpha images of
Spitzer- identified regions hosting the most recent star formation. In
total, we expect to detect over 1000 young star clusters forming
inside and outside galaxies, more than 4000 old globular clusters in
40 giant galaxies {including 16 early-type galaxies}, over 20 tidal

features, approximately 15 AGNs, and intragroup gas in most of the 12
groups. Combining the proposed ACS images with Chandra observations,
UV GALEX observations, ground-based H-alpha imaging, and HI data, we
will conduct a detailed study of stellar nurseries, dust, gas
kinematics, and AGN.

WFPC2 10748

WFPC2 CYCLE 14 Standard Darks

This dark calibration program obtains dark frames every week in order
to provide data for the ongoing calibration of the CCD dark current
rate, and to monitor and characterize the evolution of hot pixels.
Over an extended period these data will also provide a monitor of
radiation damage to the CCDs.

ACS/HRC 10556

Neutral Gas at Redshift z=0.5

Damped Lyman-alpha systems {DLAs} are used to track the bulk of the
neutral hydrogen gas in the Universe. Prior to HST UV spectroscopy,
they could only be studied from the ground at redshifts z1.65.
However, HST has now permitted us to discover 41 DLAs at z1.65 in our
previous surveys. Followup studies of these systems are providing a
wealth of information about the evolution of the neutral gas phase
component of the Universe. But one problem is that these 41
low-redshift systems are spread over a wide range of redshifts
spanning nearly 70% of the age of the Universe. Consequently, past
surveys for low-redshift DLAs have not been able to offer very good
precision in any small redshift regime. Here we propose an ACS-HRC-
PR200L spectroscopic survey in the redshift interval z=[0.37, 0.7]
which we estimate will permit us to discover another 41 DLAs. This
will not only allow us to double the number of low-redshift DLAs, but
it will also provide a relatively high-precision regime in the
low-redshift Universe that can be used to anchor evolutionary studies.
Fortunately DLAs have high absorption equivalent width, so
ACS-HRC-PR200L has high-enough resoultion to perform this proposed
MgII-selected DLA survey.

ACS/HRC 10508

Orbits, Masses, and Densities of Three Transneptunian Binaries

The subset of transneptunian objects {TNOs} having natural satellites
offers unique opportunities for physical studies of these distant
relics from the outer parts of the protoplanetary nebula. HST/ACS is
ideally suited to determining orbits of TNO satellites, resulting in
the system masses. In conjunction with thermal emission observations
by Spitzer, which provides sizes, we can determine the densities of
TNOs. Densities offer a powerful window into their bulk compositions
and interior structures.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

10569 GSacq(2,3,2) failed to RGA control @ 356/1309z

GSacq(2,3,2) scheduled at 356/15:05:46 failed at 13:09:36 due to scan
step limit exceeded on FGS 2. OBAD1 showed errors of V1=-730.81,
V2=4478.69, V3=489.56 and RSS =4564.26. OBAD2 showed errors of
V1=-1.20, V2=7.22, V3=-4.65 and RSS= 8.68.

10570 REacq(2,1,1) failed to RGA control @ 356/1758z

REacq(2,1,1) scheduled at 356/17:54:55 failed at 117:58:02 due to scan
step limit exceeded on FGS 2. OBAD2 showed errors of V1=-0.89,
V2=0.33, V3=0.02 and RSS =0.95.

10571 GSAcq(1,3,1) failed to RGA Hold (Gyro Control) @ 356/2235z

The GSAcq(1,3,1)scheduled at 356/22:31:28 - 22:39:33 failed to RGA
Hold due to (QF3SRLEX) Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS-3.
Pre-acquisition OBADs showed (RSS) attitude correction values of
1837.82 and 6.39 arcseconds. Post-acquisition OBAD/MAP had 3-axis
(RSS) error value of 5.61 arcseconds.

10572 REAcq (2,1,1) failed to RGA control @ 356/1946z

REAcq (2,1,1) scheduled from 356/19:30:54-19:38:05 failed to RGA
control due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS 2. Mnemonic
QF2SRLEX was observed. OBAD #1 RSS: 823.77; OBAD #2 RSS: 5.22; OBAD
MAP: Not scheduled. REAcq (2,1,1) scheduled from 356/21:06:53-21:14:04
failed to RGA control due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS 2.
Mnemonic QF2SRLEX was observed. OBAD data unavailable due to LOS.

10573 GSacq (1,2,2) failed due to stop flag on FGS1 (RGA Hold)
@357/1557z

Upon acquisition at 16:18:17 stop flags were set for FGS1.
Preacquisition OBADs RSS were 564.65 and 6.64 arcseonds. Post
acquisition Map RSS = 3.89 arc seconds.

10574 GSAcq (1,3,1) failed due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS
1 @ 358/0652z

At AOS 358/06:52:01 GSAcq (1,3,1) scheduled from 358/05:27:13-05:34:16
had failed due to Search Radius Limit Exceeded on FGS 1. OBAD #1:
unavailable due to LOS. OBAD #2: V1 -6.52, V2 28.27, V3 22.03, RSS
36.44. OBAD Map: Not scheduled

10575 GSAcq (2,1,2) failed to RGA control @ 358/1022z

At AOS 358/10:22:17, GSAcq (2,1,2) had failed to RGA control. No 486
ESB's noted. Due to LOS, OBAD data will not be available till the next
scheduled engineering data dump. OBAD Map: V1 -0.57, V2 -1074.41, V3
1.44, RSS 1074.41.

10576 CSTRUCCP Limit Violation @ 359/1405z

At 359/14:05:10 and 359/14:07:27 mnemonic Structure Current Primary
(CSTRUCCP) went out of limit with a value of 5.6 amps, one sample
during each occurrence. The yellow high limit is 5.4 amps. The on-call
SE was notified.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSacq 35 30
FGS REacq 18 17
OBAD with Maneuver 96 96

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report #4151 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 10th 06 02:23 PM
Daily Report #4150 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 8th 06 01:46 AM
Daily Report #3745 DOY 334 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 November 30th 04 03:56 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM