Has China's Second Manned Space Flight Crashed?

Old October 6th 05, 04:25 AM
jonathan

Default Has China's Second Manned Space Flight Crashed?

"The Shanghai Morning Post reported earlier this month that the
mission could take place as early as this month or October, "
http://www.physorg.com/news6379.html

And now reports of large meteors coming in about the same time.

We had a brilliant meteor here in Miami last Thursday evening
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12777392.htm

And another one came over almost in the same area
the week before.
http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...25/1006/NEWS01

And one reported seen in Ohio about the same time.

"Jim Z" wrote in message
. ..
Hard to tell the direction.
Only the brightest stars were visible and I could not get a fix on any
constellations. I was driving on RT. 271 southbound and it appeared to
streak towads the horizion from an elevation of about 60 degrees.
Lasted I would say, a total of 4 seconds.

Someone reported a fireball from the Ohio River region at the same
time in the Northern sky. If it was the same, the altitude must
have been fairly low.

And look at this video posted just a couple of days ago.
It may be fake, but if you look at the shock wave take out
the coolers and chair, that was a real explosion and
shock wave. Hollywood would have a hard time making
something this convincing.
http://poststuff.entensity.net/10030...dia=meteor.wmv

Old October 6th 05, 04:51 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 23:25:29 -0400, "jonathan"
wrote:

And now reports of large meteors coming in about the same time.

We had a brilliant meteor here in Miami last Thursday evening
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12777392.htm

And another one came over almost in the same area
the week before.
http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...25/1006/NEWS01

And one reported seen in Ohio about the same time.

We have had many bright fireballs during October for at least the last
five years. I can't explain why.

And look at this video posted just a couple of days ago.
It may be fake, but if you look at the shock wave take out
the coolers and chair, that was a real explosion and
shock wave. Hollywood would have a hard time making
something this convincing.
http://poststuff.entensity.net/10030...dia=meteor.wmv

Actually, there is a lot wrong with the video. The object is traveling
too slowly, and the damage from something with cosmic velocity is way
too small. This looks _exactly_ the way Hollywood would make it (and in
this case, almost certainly did).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 6th 05, 05:12 AM
jonathan

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...20325/1006/NEW

S01

And one reported seen in Ohio about the same time.

We have had many bright fireballs during October for at least the last
five years. I can't explain why.

But three in the same week, in the same area and with
similar descriptions in size and appearance. Too much
of a coincidence. Something in orbit is coming apart
and reentering I think. And if the Chinese launch date
corresponds. I'll be looking for any news about the
Chinese launch and we'll see. If we don't hear anything
about it for the next couple of weeks, then maybe
the worst has happened?

And look at this video posted just a couple of days ago.
It may be fake, but if you look at the shock wave take out
the coolers and chair, that was a real explosion and
shock wave. Hollywood would have a hard time making
something this convincing.
http://poststuff.entensity.net/10030...dia=meteor.wmv

Actually, there is a lot wrong with the video. The object is traveling
too slowly, and the damage from something with cosmic velocity is way
too small.

Not if it's space junk.

This looks _exactly_ the way Hollywood would make it (and in
this case, almost certainly did).

Maybe, but the explosion and shock wave are real. If you
look at the video closely, the effects of the shock wave are
indisputable. There's also a piece of debris
that's kicked into the air for a full 18 seconds. That
was a rather large explosion very close to the cameraman.
Too close and large to be some lame stunt I would think.
If it's a fake, it's a very good one.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old October 6th 05, 05:49 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 00:12:46 -0400, "jonathan"
wrote:

But three in the same week, in the same area and with
similar descriptions in size and appearance. Too much
of a coincidence. Something in orbit is coming apart
and reentering I think.

A bit unusual, but not extremely so. Here in Colorado we had very bright
fireballs on:

2002.10.06 and 2002.10.07, which were apparently unrelated and were
natural;

2003.02.20 and 2003.02.21, unrelated and natural;

2003.08.04, 2003.08.05, and 2003.08.11, unrelated (not Perseids) and
natural;

2003.10.14 and 2003.10.22, unrelated and natural;

2004.10.05 and 2004.10.18, unrelated and natural.

In most cases, these paired or triple events were separated from other
fireballs by several months or more.

In any case, things don't generally "come apart in orbit". A failed
launch would probably only produce one large piece of debris, and even
if several were produced it is very unlikely they would re-enter over
the same general area over a period of days.

Actually, there is a lot wrong with the video. The object is traveling
too slowly, and the damage from something with cosmic velocity is way
too small.

Not if it's space junk.

Yes, even so. And it certainly wouldn't be flaming when it reached the
ground, or traveling at a shallow angle. BTW, I've seen this video clip
identified as footage from an upcoming Australian film called "Undead",
although I have no personal knowledge of that.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 6th 05, 06:15 AM
George

wrote:

[...]

Maybe Jarel is telling us it is time to stock up on kryptonite, batman.

Old October 6th 05, 08:27 AM
blart

nothing on spacewarn i think

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/spacewarn/spx622.html

"jonathan" wrote in message

"The Shanghai Morning Post reported earlier this month that the
mission could take place as early as this month or October, "
http://www.physorg.com/news6379.html

And now reports of large meteors coming in about the same time.

We had a brilliant meteor here in Miami last Thursday evening
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/12777392.htm

And another one came over almost in the same area
the week before.
http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...25/1006/NEWS01

And one reported seen in Ohio about the same time.

. ..

Old October 6th 05, 09:49 AM

Pretty cool video, huh? It's part of an ad for a Toyota Truck, produced
by Method Studios: http://www.methodstudios.com/mox808

Can't get it download--what do the words say when it "skips" a frame at
the explosion?

Cool...

--Darin

Old October 6th 05, 02:43 PM
Chris L Peterson

On 6 Oct 2005 01:49:07 -0700, wrote:

Pretty cool video, huh? It's part of an ad for a Toyota Truck, produced
by Method Studios:
http://www.methodstudios.com/mox808

Can't get it download--what do the words say when it "skips" a frame at
the explosion?

Cool...

Excellent- thanks for the correct reference. There are some very similar
effects in the "Undead" clips I saw, but I wondered about the fact that
the actors in the meteor/truck clip didn't sound Australian. A
commercial makes perfect sense- plenty of money there to invest in
special effects (and these are pretty good, even with the technical
errors).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old October 7th 05, 01:46 AM

"Jim Z" wrote in message
Hard to tell the direction.
Only the brightest stars were visible and I could not get a fix on any
constellations. I was driving on RT. 271 southbound and it appeared to
streak towads the horizion from an elevation of about 60 degrees.
Lasted I would say, a total of 4 seconds.

Someone reported a fireball from the Ohio River region at the same
time in the Northern sky. If it was the same, the altitude must
have been fairly low.

And look at this video posted just a couple of days ago.
It may be fake, but if you look at the shock wave take out
the coolers and chair, that was a real explosion and
shock wave. Hollywood would have a hard time making
something this convincing.
http://poststuff.entensity.net/10030...dia=meteor.wmv

Nice movie - but fake, sorry... The explosion is a real pyrotechnic, but the
'fireball' is an effect, possibly CGI, drawn in later.

I've seen an incoming satellite burn up, it's not a burning pitch ball spewing
black smoke! It's orange hot to white hot pieces of metal... I wasn't close
enough to see where it hit the ground, but there was no Hollywood explosion!