Why Refractors are Better!

Old April 23rd 05, 01:08 AM
Jeff R. Schroeder

Default Why Refractors are Better!

There has been debate here for a long time over what kind of telescope is
the best overall. Optical design, portability, suitability for photography,
ease of use and other factors have been used to argue the merits of various
scopes. To finally settle this issue, I now submit twelve reasons why a
refractor is the only real choice for the serious astronomer.

12. The unwashed masses recognise it as a telescope.

11. Polished brass and steel are classier than aluminum and plastic.

10. The reflections off of a lens are cooler than those off of a mirror.
(Especially if you find yourself in the field of view)

9. They are long enough to stick out of the dome slit in cartoon
drawings.

8. The Feng Shui of the observatory is better. Its best when the building
is copper and stone, with something like "1886" carved into the lintel.

7. They don't lose their collimation when you whang your scientific rival
over the head with one.

6. It dosn't look like you are getting kinky with R2D2 when you are using
a refractor. You sit properly at the bottom, and look up through it toward
the object under observation.

5. They gently deflect the delicate photons to a distant sharp focus
rather than slapping them back and forth and jumbling them up.

4. ALL of the stars are seen in glorious full color, not just a few.

3. You can't channel Percival Lowell and see the canals of Mars without
one.

2. The greatest astronomer, Galileo, used them exclusivly.

1. Mine is bigger than yours!

Jeff Schroeder

Old April 23rd 05, 01:50 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

Achro Refractors = Econobox sedans
Apo Refractors = Sports cars
Dobs = Pick-up trucks
Newts on GEM = Panel van
SCT = SUV
MCT = Luxury SUV
Naked Eye = Bicycle riding hippie
Binoculars = Moped

Old April 23rd 05, 01:56 AM

I must admit that your discussion is more rational that most that I've
read. You could of said something about cost.

Old April 23rd 05, 01:56 AM

Old April 23rd 05, 02:21 AM
Mike

"Jeff R. Schroeder" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

So punk, answer me this, why are the vast majority of scopes at star parties
NOT refractors??

Jeff Schroeder

Old April 23rd 05, 03:19 AM
Davoud

Jeff R. Schroeder:
...I now submit twelve reasons why a refractor is the only
real choice for the serious astronomer.

Mike:
So punk, answer me this, why are the vast majority of scopes at star parties
NOT refractors??

You attend star parties where reflectors are permitted!? Sheesh! Talk
about low class!

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old April 23rd 05, 03:31 AM
Larry Brown

In article .net,
"Jeff R. Schroeder" wrote:

[...]

The most salient point: a refractor looks like a telescope. Everything
else looks like a garbage can on a bunch of plumbing.

Clear skies.

--
Larry Brown
http://www.antiquetelescopes.org
Old April 23rd 05, 03:36 AM
Ed T

"Mike" wrote in message

So punk, answer me this, why are the vast majority of scopes at star
parties NOT refractors??

I think he was pointing out their inherent superiority rather than their
relative abundance with (apparently)uncommon good humor. But for your
benefit I'll answer your question:

Top Reasons for NOT Buying a Refractor:

10. Pointing the heavy end towards the ground is easier.

9. Because getting just a lens and no mirrors seems like a rip-off.

8. Because a dob is like a fat woman, fun to dance with.

7. Your date gets excited when you use big words like catadioptric.

6. Its easier to justify owning a pick-up truck with a scope that breaks
down into 8 pieces, each weighing 68 pounds.

5. You get a sense of power making photons change directions.

4. You think girth is more impressive than length.

3. When you figure the price by the pound its clearly no bargain.

2. Its the American thing to do.

1. Your dad told you that only punks use refractors.

Ed T.

Old April 23rd 05, 05:36 AM
Mike

"Davoud" wrote in message
Jeff R. Schroeder:
...I now submit twelve reasons why a refractor is the only
real choice for the serious astronomer.

Mike:
So punk, answer me this, why are the vast majority of scopes at star
parties
NOT refractors??

You attend star parties where reflectors are permitted!? Sheesh! Talk
about low class!

The main man has not answered. ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Old April 23rd 05, 06:06 AM
Dan Mckenna

Jeff R. Schroeder wrote:
There has been debate here for a long time over what kind of telescope is
the best overall. Optical design, portability, suitability for photography,
ease of use and other factors have been used to argue the merits of various
scopes. To finally settle this issue, I now submit twelve reasons why a
refractor is the only real choice for the serious astronomer.

12 Does not make those stars with the crosses
11 Easier viewing of terrestrial heavenly bodies, however requires an
erector.
10 Makes people bend to a submissive position
9 Easier to pull the black paper over the objective gag
8 Main optic higher above turbulence ground layer making big dob owners
jealous of the image quality
8 Easier to track UFOs
7 No rats nest when taken out of storage
6 less damage in a rain storm
5 No need for the latest wizbang collimator
4 Faster to pack and go if the local get suspicious
3 Dogs can't pee on the OTA or optics.
2 Dew shield can be changed to fit the local color scheme
1 Harder to spill the beer on the optics

Its only a hobby

Dan