2004 Okie-Tex Star Party Brochure and Registration forms

Old July 26th 04, 08:11 PM
EFLASPO

Default 2004 Okie-Tex Star Party Brochure and Registration forms

Okie-Tex Star Party 2004
October 9th - October 16th

The Oklahoma City Astronomy Club is pleased to announce the 21st Annual
Okie-Tex Star Party.

The Star Party will again be held at Camp Billy Joe near Kenton, Oklahoma and
offers some of the darkest skies to be found anywhere in the Southwest.

At 4,973 feet above sea level, this is the highest point in Oklahoma. At the
foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Black Mesa and the surrounding area provide
one of the most dramatic landscapes in Oklahoma. Points of interest around
Black Mesa include Dinosaur Quarries opened and excavated in the 1930's.
Dinosaur tracks are visible in a nearby creek bed.

Interesting rock formations dot the area, such as “Old Maid’s Profile”
and the “Wedding Party”, complete with the bride, groom and a minister.
Numerous Indian writings and drawings from prehistoric Indians can be seen on
the rocky walls of many canyons through the area. Black Mesa gets its name
from the thick layer of black rock which caps the mesa. This rock was formed
from a lava flow which covered this region about 30 million years ago. It is
about 45 miles long and extends from Colorado.

###

Kenton - This tiny town of 23 people is the only community in Oklahoma on
Mountain Standard Time. Visitors will find the Kenton Mercantile which serves
as a deli, general store, post office and museum.

Capulin Volcano, a nearly perfectly-shaped cinder cone, stands more than 1200
feet above the surrounding High Plains of northeastern New Mexico. The volcano
is long extinct, and today the forested slopes provide habitat for mule deer,
wild turkey black bear and other wildlife. Abundant displays of wildflowers
bloom on the mountain each summer. A 20mile paved road spiraling to the
volcano rim makes Capulin Volcano one of the most accessible volcanoes in the
world. Trails leading around the rim and to the bottom of the crater allow a
rare opportunity to easily explore a volcano.

###

Okie-Tex Star Party 2004
October 9th - October 16th

www.okie-tex.com

Phone: 405-691-2544

Okie-Tex Pre-Registration and Fees

Registration fees are $40.00 per person and $25.00 per additional family member
18 years of age or older. Children 17 and under are FREE. A camp use fee of
$5.00 per day per person 18 years and older has been added in an effort to
improve camp electrical and plumbing facilities. Pre-registration fees must be
postmarked no later than October 1, 2004. Fees after October 1st and at the
door are $60.00

Okie-Tex Refund Policy
Refunds will be given only if notification is received on or before October 1,
2004 and must be requested in writing. Refunds will be processed after October
20, 2004.

How to Get There
Camp Billy Joe, which is on the outskirts of Kenton, Oklahoma, is located 37
miles west of Boise City on State Highway 325. Latitude 36 degrees 53.87
minutes North. Longitude 102 degrees 58.01 minutes West.

Astrophotography Contest
Awards will be given for astrophotography, astroimaging/CCD, and the best
all-around photograph. Turn in your images by 3:00 PM Friday at the
Registration Desk.

Swap Meet
Bring your items for sale or trade to the Covered Patio Area at 1:00 PM
Saturday. “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.”

The Great Okie-Tex Door Prize Giveaway
Okie-Tex Star Party is famous for it’s door prize giveaways. We have given
away telescopes, CCD’s, eyepieces, software, star atlases, and many other
fabulous items. The door prize giveaway will be on Saturday evening after the
main speaker.

###

Hotels, Motels, Bed & Breakfasts

Black Mesa Bed & Breakfast - 1-800-866-3009 or 1-580-261-7443. E-mail:

Cattle Country Inn - 1-580-543-6458
The Hitching Post - 1-580-261-7413
Cattle Country Inn Bed & Breakfast - 1-580-543-6458
Longhorn Motel - 1-580-544-2596
Santa Fe Trail Motel & Apts - 1-580-544-3495
Townsman Motel - 1-580-544-2506
Virginia’s Bed & Breakfast - 1-580-544-2834

###

Star Party Etiquette

Gate Closings

At 9:00 PM each evening, the gate will be closed and lighting restrictions will
begin. This is for the safety of star party participants and to prevent
unwanted light in the observing area. No vehicles will be allowed to travel
into or out of the star party site after the gate is closed except in emergency
situations. No one will be allowed to travel within the star party site after
the lighting restrictions begin, so if you plan to leave during the night,
please park outside the gate before it closes and face your vehicle away from
the observing field!! The gate will be reopened at sunrise each morning.

Lighting Restrictions

All light emitting devices must be turned off when lighting restrictions begin.
The only exceptions to this rule will be red-filtered lights and during
inclement weather or emergencies. Emergencies may require the use of white
light and, whenever possible, a warning should be given to avoid interference
with astrophotography or observing.

Electricity Use
The following guidelines for electricity use are in effect for the duration of
the star party:

• Only telescope drive equipment, anti-dew gear, drive correctors, personal
computers necessary to the operation of telescopes or CCD equipment, and
25-watt or less red light bulbs may be connected to Okie-Tex power outlets.

• Personal computers (not attached to telescopes or CCD’s or used for
astronomical image processing) and appliances such as hot plates, coffee pots,
fans, heaters, and refrigerators are NOT to be connected.

Music
Everyone has their favorite observing music that contributes to the star party
experience but, please respect your fellow observers! Music which can be heard
across the observing field will not be allowed. If your neighbor doesn’t
like your taste in music then turn it down a few decibels or plug in some
headphones. A good rule of thumb would be: If your music can be heard more
than 10 feet away, it’s probably too loud!

Pets
Pets must be on a lease at all times. If your pet is aggressive or prone to
barking, please leave it at home. Pets are not allowed in the vendor building,
chow hall, bathrooms, showers, private rooms, or meeting rooms. Pets will not
be allowed on the observing field while lighting restrictions are in effect.
You may walk your pet during daylight hours, but please clean up after it!

Tents, Camping Trailers, and Canopies
If you are camping, please set up your tents, camping trailers and shade
canopies around the edge of the observing field or in traffic ways. This
includes canopies, pavilions and similar structures designed to provide shade.
Please make sure that your tent is firmly staked down and the guy lines do not
extend into the observing area for the safety of other star party participants.
Camp Billy Joe has a limited number of bunks on a first-come-first-served
basis.
Special Guests

The Okie-Tex Star Party always has a lineup of top quality speakers from the
astronomical community. This year will be no exception!!

This year we have Brian Lula, Dick Parker, Jim Edlin and Steve Leikind
scheduled to speak, and several other surprise speakers to entertain and
educate you.

Please check our web site at
www.okie-tex.com for updates and additional
information.

Join us this year to welcome all of our guest speakers to Okie-Tex 2004!!

Vendors

Vendors are always welcome at the Okie-Tex Star Party! There are no
“vendor” or “table” fees involved - all we ask is that you donate one
of your products to our door-prize giveaway. Space in the Community Building
is limited so contact us early if you plan to attend!

###

Okie-Tex Star Party Registration Form
October 9th - October 16th, 2004

Please Print

Name____________________________

Address: _________________________

City, ST, Zip_______________________

Phone ___________________________

Adults _____ @ $40 ea = $________

Family (ages 18 & over) _____ @
$25 ea = $______

Children 17 and under are FREE

Please Circle Number of days in Attendance:

Sat 10/9 Sun 10/10 Mon 10/11

Tue 10/12 Wed 10/11 Thu 10/14

Fri 10/15 Sat 10/16

Camp Use Fee:

Days _____ x $5.00 per day = $ _____

2004 T-Shirt Order:

M($12)_____ L($12)_____ XL($14)____
2X ($14)_______ 3X($16)_______

TOTAL ENCLOSED ____________

Please make your check or money order payable to the Oklahoma City Astronomy
Club and mail this form and your registration fees to:

Okie-Tex Star Party
P.O. Box 22804
Oklahoma City, OK 73123
Please Read and Sign the
Liability Release

Liability Release

By my signature below, I hereby affirm that:

I am releasing the Oklahoma City Astronomy Club, the member societies and
organizers (hereinafter referred to as the “Providers”) from any and all
injuries or damages received or sustained arising out of occasioned by the acts
of the Providers in the execution or performance of the Okie-Tex Star Party.

I further waive any claim that I, my heirs, assigns, or personal
representatives may have against the Providers for all accidents, injuries or
losses I may incur while participating in the Okie-Tex Star Party.

I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Providers for any costs incurred
(including attorneys fees) in defending any action brought against the
Providers as a result of my participation in the Okie-Tex Star Party.

My signature upon this form also indicates agreement and acceptance o n behalf
of all minor children, under 18 years of age (listed below), under my care in
attendance.

1 _________________________________________
2__________________________________________
3__________________________________________
4__________________________________________
5__________________________________________
6__________________________________________

Signatu_________________________

Date: ____________________________

###

Okie-Tex Star Party Menu

Sunday, Oct. 10
Breakfast: Cereal & Cinnamon rolls
Lunch: Make-Your-Own Sandwich, Variety of soups /salads/
meats
Dinner: Beef/Chicken Fajitas w/ trimmings,
Queso dip & Chips

Monday, Oct. 11
Breakfast: Pancakes, bacon, juice
Lunch: BBQ Beef on Bun, Coleslaw/Potato Salad/Baked Beans
Dinner: Lasagna/Italian Chicken Casserole,
green salad, French bread

Tuesday, Oct. 12
Breakfast: Choice of breakfast casseroles/
hashbrowns, juice, toast
Lunch: Chicken & Noodles, corn, roll
Dinner: Chicken Fried Steak, Baked Potato,
Green Beans, roll

Wednesday, Oct. 13
Breakfast: French Toast, Sausage/Bacon,
juice
Lunch: Taco Stacks w/ trimmings, chili-rice
casserole
Dinner: Roast Beef/Pork, mashed potatoes,
peas/corn, roll

Thursday, Oct. 14
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon,
hashbrowns, biscuits
Lunch: Ham Pot Pie, Salads & Soups
Dinner: Beef/Chicken Enchiladas, Rice,
beans, salad

Friday, Oct. 15
Breakfast: Sausage gravy/Biscuits, juice
Lunch: Spaghetti, green salad, French bread
Dinner: Smothered Pork Chops, scalloped
potatoes, broccoli casserole

Saturday, Oct. 16
Breakfast: Assortment-pancakes, biscuits &
gravy, hashbrowns, juice
Lunch: Stew & Chili, cornbread
Dinner: Brisket, Baked Potato, salad,
assortment of vegetable

Meal Request Form
October 10th - October 16th

Please Print

Name:_________________________________

Address: _______________________________

City, St, Zip _____________________________

Phone _________________________________

Please check all that apply:

Sun 10/10 Beakfastr ______ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Mon 10/11 Breakfast ______ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Tue 10/12 Breakfast ______ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Wed 10/13 Breakfast ______ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Thu 10/14 Breakfast __ ____ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Fri 10/15 Breakfast___ ____ Lunch ____ Dinner_____
Sat 10/16 Breakfast _______ Lunch ____ Dinner ____

Total Breakfast _____ @ $5.00 ea
Total Lunches ______@ $7.00 ea
Total Dinners _______ @10.00 ea

Total enclosed: ____________

Please make check or money order payable to CIMARRON HERITAGE
CENTER and mail this form and your meal fees to:

Cimarron Heritage Center
P.O. Box 214
Boise City, OK 73933

Home (580) 544-3302