Selling Unitron 62mm (Model 114) at Stellafane swap meet

Old July 29th 08, 03:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Selling Unitron 62mm (Model 114) at Stellafane swap meet

For sale and pick-up only at Stellafane 2008: Unitron Model 114, (mid-1950's
era?) 2.4-inch (62mm) alt-az refractor, complete with mount, tripod, Unitron
eyepieces, and two wood storage boxes. See it at the swap meet on Saturday
where the first $500 in cash takes it.

This scope is mostly in great shape, including the optics. It appears that
all five of the original eyepieces are present. It has the star diagonal and
erecting prism, but NOT the Unihex. Both original wood boxes are in great
shape.

However, I noted the following "issues": paint chips on the lens shade, but
no denting; original owner wrote his name on the tube with felt-tip marker;
a few minor hardware issues (screws missing?) with the tripod, but it works,
after taking the photos shown in A'mart add # 576945 I discovered a shallow
dent about 1x3 inches, in the bottom of the tube near the lens end. I had
not noticed this until I examined the scope carefully after taking the
pictures.

I really wanted to keep this scope, but Mrs Astronomer sez that "With 6, 8,
10, and 20 inch scopes we *don't* need that tiny little thing! Sell it at
Stellafane!!" However, it certainly is a pretty scope, especially to a "teen
of the 60's" who looked at all those Unitron adds in S&T without a penny in
his pocket!!

George N