PX question

Old August 8th 03, 08:00 AM
Bored Huge Krill

Default PX question

ok, a simple question. I know I'm kind of inviting flames here, but really,
this isn't a troll...

I've been reading this group for a while without posting anything. I
originally came here for news & information on, you know, science/astronomy,
but it seems that a good deal of bandwidth is taken up with discussions
related to "Planet X". Not what I originally came here for, but it is pretty
fascinating, I have to admit, from an anthropological and psychological
point of view.

There's a couple of questions about this that have been bugging me. Now that
the date of the supposed arrival of "planet X" has now comprehensively past,
I'm hoping I can get away with asking a question.

Ok, so I'm waffling a bit here. Here's my question. Many of the posts and
other articles I've seen from planet X believers refer to something they
refer to as "chemtrails". I'm intrigued as to what it is they're talking
about. From what I can gather, there is a belief that "they" plant some sort
of "masking agent" in the sky, so that "planet x" could't be seen. At least,
I think that's what they mean. Question 1: is that what is being talked
about? I won't go into why that is spectacularly idiotic (and please don't
reply pointing out why it is, it really doesn't require comment). I just
want to verify first of all that I've correctly interpreted what is being
alleged.

Ok, given that: is there some actual metereological artifact that is being
attributed to "chemtrails"? I mean, when I go out onto my deck as night
falls, and see it cloudy, I think "damn. It's cloudy. I won't get a decent
view of Mars tonight" (or whatever it is I was hoping to look at). Were the
PX believers thinking "damn. They've put up chemtrails again tonight, so we
won't be able to see planet X!". Have I got that right? And is there some
specific cloud formation that was being attributed to "chemtrails"?

Just an honest question... really. No flames please...

Regards
Krill

Old August 8th 03, 03:50 PM
N'vok

Planet X theorists (aka www.zetatalk.com) are nuts. That's about the
end of it. They merge religion, fake science, ufos and psychic powers.
It was, in its heyday, the ULTIMATE conspiracy theory.

"Bored Huge Krill" wrote in message ...
ok, a simple question. I know I'm kind of inviting flames here, but really,
this isn't a troll...

I've been reading this group for a while without posting anything. I
originally came here for news & information on, you know, science/astronomy,
but it seems that a good deal of bandwidth is taken up with discussions
related to "Planet X". Not what I originally came here for, but it is pretty
fascinating, I have to admit, from an anthropological and psychological
point of view.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I first came upon sci.astro after spending
an hour laughing at ZT. I noticed "sci.astro debates" (which Nancy
used to secretly alter) and decided to check out the group!

[...]

Don't worry... I won't flame you... Kook! KOOK!
just kidding
Best ever PX post.

Regards
Krill

Old August 9th 03, 01:49 AM
Bored Huge Krill

wrote in message
"Bored Huge Krill" wrote:

[...]

It's worse than that! They believe that "the secret government" that
allegedly controls every government in every country around the world,
has a secret cadre of airline and military pilots who release
chemicals into their jet exhausts as they fly over certain places.

The effects of these chemicals is to keep the populace controlled,
docile, and not asking awkward questions. I'll leave you to ponder
the stupidity of that idea, and the impossibility of it working (not
to mention there would be much easier ways of dosing people).

yes. I did say it didn't require comment :-)

Obviously the secret government and its agents has such awesome power
that nobody has ever broken their silence and revealed what's going
on. A bit like the way thousands of people involved in the Apollo
landings have never blown the whistle on how the moon landings were
faked )

The latest twist is, as you say, the Planet X nonsense, where they're
now claiming that the government is obscuring their view of the
incoming Orb Of Doom. Again, how they could know where and when to
spray without actually blanketing the whole sky, and what prevents
people in other areas seeing the planet is left as an exercise for an
overactive imagination.

ah, but of course, they *know* who all the troublemakers are. So they can
put up chemtrails that are carefully targeted, right... what you need is one
of these so they won't be able to find you:

www.stopabductions.com

Remember kids, it's *scientifically proven* to be more effective than
tinfoil. Sorry, couldn't resist. That particular site is just too funny...

Ok, given that: is there some actual metereological artifact that is

being
attributed to "chemtrails"? I mean, when I go out onto my deck as night
falls, and see it cloudy, I think "damn. It's cloudy. I won't get a

decent
view of Mars tonight" (or whatever it is I was hoping to look at).

LOL - a bit like most nights I've gone out to look at mars. If I'm
busy or tired it's clear, if I've got time to look it's cloudy.

Were the
PX believers thinking "damn. They've put up chemtrails again tonight, so

we
won't be able to see planet X!". Have I got that right? And is there some
specific cloud formation that was being attributed to "chemtrails"?

No, just the typical aircraft contrails we've had for over 50 years.
However, kooks being what they are, they'd rather believe it was some
huge global conspiracy than a simple scientific explanation.

ah, ok. I was thinking maybe it was cirrus clouds. Although there's lots of
references to "chemtrails" that I found, nothing actually says what they
are. Naturally, all the "information" listed just says "they're put there by
the gubmint, stupid!"...

Thanks for the answers

Krill

Just an honest question... really. No flames please...

No worries - hope the above helps explain it a bit.

If you haven't already, try doing a web search for "chemtrail". You'll
turn up thousands of crazy ideas - and people )

DP

--
Nattering Nabob #1 of the MOHSG

(alpha version of .sig)

Old August 9th 03, 07:46 AM
Nenlaven

"Bored Huge Krill" wrote in message ...
Not what I originally came here for, but it is pretty
fascinating, I have to admit, from an anthropological and psychological
point of view.

For something just as fascinating, do a google group search on "Comet
Lee".

Every book on the history of Astronomy you read always has a section
on Comets, and in that section it always says something along the
lines of "in the past, primitive cultures would view Comets as a sign
of doom or ill fortune." You would have thought that by now we would
all be past that, but the Comet Lee debacle proves that there is still
a bit of the primitive man running around.

Conspiracies are easy traps to fall into. People who tend to believe
that a certain conspiracy exists think that they are smarter than
everyone else because they can see the "other side" of something.
However, they are no better off than the people who they say are
covering up something, because even though they are looking at the
other side, they refuse to acknowledge the first side exists. It's no
longer possible to them that Planet X might NOT be real, it is not
within their realm of thinking that the moon landing COULD have
happened. In their attempts to see the other side they fall around and
now can once again only see one side. They can't stand outside and
look at both sides and weigh them objectively.
Old August 10th 03, 02:54 AM
I Be Rad Goof

Chemtrails?? Wow, the gov't is giving us mind-altering chemicals for FREE,
man!! Far out!! Was this a plank in any party's platform? Makes me wish I
could figure out how to vote.

Happy chemtrails to you, dude.