Solar h-alpha: dedicated scope, or attached filter?

Old October 22nd 08, 11:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Solar h-alpha: dedicated scope, or attached filter?

Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N

Old October 23rd 08, 08:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Tee[_2_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

Depends on your bank account. Get a PST or SolarMax. Dont bother with
prominence filters.

Old October 25th 08, 04:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Too_Many_Tools

On Oct 22, 5:17*pm, "George Normandin"
wrote:
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N

Could someone discuss the options versus cost....I too would like to
do h-alpha.

Thanks
Old October 26th 08, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote

wrote:
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N

Could someone discuss the options versus cost....I too would like to
do h-alpha.

------

Cost is of course one consideration, but so is the fact that a solar scope
can only be used to observe the sun, while a filtered scope is just a normal
scope when the filter comes off. What I'm interested in is which provides
the superior performance, filter + scope, or dedicated solar scope. Until I
know that I'm not sure how to factor in cost and non-use versus use as a
"normal" telescope.

George N

Old October 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"Michael Tee" wrote

"George Normandin" wrote in message ...
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

Depends on your bank account. Get a PST or SolarMax. Dont bother with
prominence filters.

I have a PST (and a bank account)!! However, the PST started with 'rust
disease' at about 14 months old, and Meade wants at least $120 in shipping &
repair costs to fix it - not to mention that it's taking them 4 to 6 months
to fix PSTs. At this point I'm ready to move up in solar observing gear
thanks to recently retiring (lots of sunny days now available). Based on my
recent experience, I'm not all of that interested in sticking with
Meade/Coronado, but I may. The PST did provide a lot of fun when it was OK
and I often took it and a small tripod to work to observe at lunch. It's too
bad that so many of them have the rust problem.

George N

Old October 26th 08, 06:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Tee[_2_]

I have a PST and thanks for the heads up about rust. YEOW ! I have had it
for about 10
months and this is the first I have heard about rust issues.

Old October 26th 08, 06:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:58:05 GMT, "George Normandin"
wrote:

Cost is of course one consideration, but so is the fact that a solar scope
can only be used to observe the sun, while a filtered scope is just a normal
scope when the filter comes off. What I'm interested in is which provides
the superior performance, filter + scope, or dedicated solar scope. Until I
know that I'm not sure how to factor in cost and non-use versus use as a
"normal" telescope.

You can check prices of filters on the websites of mail order
astronomy equipment dealers. The add-on filters offer better
performance than the PST. It is much easier to do photography with
filters.

Bud
Old October 26th 08, 07:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Nakamoto

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote

wrote:
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N

Could someone discuss the options versus cost....I too would like to
do h-alpha.

------

Cost is of course one consideration, but so is the fact that a solar
scope can only be used to observe the sun, while a filtered scope is
just a normal scope when the filter comes off. What I'm interested in
is which provides the superior performance, filter + scope, or
dedicated solar scope. Until I know that I'm not sure how to factor in
cost and non-use versus use as a "normal" telescope.

George N

Hi everyone !

One thing that bugs me about these dedicated scopes is the lack of
magnification. The one's I've seen are short focal length scopes. If
you want to study sunspots and other fine details on the Sun, wouldn't
it make more sense to have a long focal length telescope? Yes, I know
it's a compromise; shorter focal lengths are needed for an overall view,
but you need longer focal lengths for closer views. I always thought it
was better to have the magnification in the telescope, rather than the
eyepieces, for a good closeup view.

--- Dave
Old October 26th 08, 09:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Michael Tee[_2_]

Oh...if you have the money and a good refractor of at least F10 buy a
daystar filter.
They are quite expensive but offer views that put dedicated Coronados to
shame.

Old October 28th 08, 02:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

On 23 Οκτ, 00:17, "George Normandin"
wrote:
Which is a 'better deal' for solar h-alpha: Purchase a dedicated solar
telescope, or get a filter and attach it to an existing refractor?

George N

My problem with a dedicated scope is the fact that the OTA is strictly
for exclusive use (ie. solar) and cannot be used for anything else. In
contrast, with a filter which can be attached, one can use the same
scope during the evening for other work.

Anthony.