best places to live for amateur astronomers

Old July 19th 08, 11:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Spanky

Default best places to live for amateur astronomers

"Howard Lester" wrote
"Spanky" wrote
"Brian Tung" wrote

Porque is because.

I thought it was for dinner.

You mean "the other white meat?"

Yes. It's the French. ;-)

'course, that would probably be more obvious in Lousianna, where I hear tell
the seeing is excellent, but the humidity and the skeeters could kill'ya.

-Steve

Old July 22nd 08, 09:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

katrinaxx wrote:

Oops, I forgot! You might also like take a look at Cloudcroft, NM.
http://www.cloudcroft.com/

A better site with more info for amateur astronomers:
http://www.nmskies.com/webpage/

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

To reply take out your eye
Old July 22nd 08, 11:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Hi Paul,

The suggestions so far have all been quite good. I would basically
draw a N-S line through the middle of the Dakotas and another
approximately in line with the western border of Idaho. Extend both
lines through the northern and southern boundary of the continental
U.S. and look for something between these lines that's not too near
nor too far from any reasonably sized city. Despite this general
advice, good sites can be found outside this region. Yet, within this
region one could find a *huge* number of suitable locations that would
meet the needs of both you and your wife. You'll probably want the
nearest city to be large enough to have a Wal-Mart, but not much
larger than that and you'll probably want to be at least 20 miles
away, though your wife will want to be a bit closer. A suitable
compromise (such as 10 to 15 miles) will need to be reached;-)

Other possible considerations: Distance to health care facilities
such as clinics, hospitals, dentistry, eyecare, etc. (I have to travel
50 miles to the nearest dentist, over 100 miles for a major hospital,
over 100 miles for eyecare, etc. At one point in time I had to travel
at least 20 miles to the nearest gas station and 50 miles to the
nearest (small) clinic, now these basic services have cropped up a bit
closer to home;-)

Then there's climate. If you want to be able to observe year round
without having to worry about having a fair number of sub-freezing
nights you won't want to be too far north nor too high in elevation.
If you choose a rural area beware that not all roads get cleared of
snow, etc. Last winter there were times when my wife's fuel-efficient
Honda Civic couldn't make it to or from the nearest paved road. A
least three last times last year I had to tow her (stuck) car with my
gas guzzeling Jeep. For one full week she parked her car 6 miles away
and I shuttled here back and forth in the Jeep. In other words, some
locations can have a strong influence on one's choice of vehicle.

Then there's wild animals. I just made a blog entry that tells a
little about one of the hazards in my area - rattlesnakes! We
encountered a bear one evening coming home from a major shopping trip
to a "nearby" major (for Montana) city.

So, do your research carefully and thoroughly! The darker the sky the
more remote you'll be, but it looks like your wife will serve you well
in keeping you from moving to a location that's too remote. Listen to
her. Astronomy isn't everything.

Bill Greer
To sketch is to see.
http://cejour.blogspot.com
http://www.rangeweb.net/~sketcher

Old July 23rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Tom Polakis

Chris L Peterson wrote:

Or, you can go further north into Colorado. There are many smallish
mountain towns that are well supported with shops and services, and the
transparency is better even than Arizona, although the seeing isn't
usually as good...

Chris,

Is your point about the transparency of Colorado vs. Arizona based on
the degree of aerosol contamination or cloudiness?

All three states enjoy enough clear nights every year to satisfy almost
astronomer. (Utah is astronomically good as well, but I wouldn't
recommend that screwy place to anybody!)

Yeah, it's unfortunate, as I would otherwise rank it as the most
desirable of the four states in the Southwest.

Tom
Old July 23rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jul 18, 3:17*pm, callisto wrote:
I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. *I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby. *I know there are many considerations such as seasonal sky
conditions, having an astronomy club nearby where it would be possible
to participate in many activities (e.g., see telescopes of others,
hear talks, go on trips including star parties, etc). *Another of my
interests is participating in outreach and giving PowerPoint talks to
people of all ages.
. . .

Old July 29th 08, 08:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George[_4_]

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
acomip...
"Brian Tung" wrote

Paul (callisto) wrote:
I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby.

Personally, I'd go for New Mexico.

Porque?

No, not Porque, NM..... Why, and where in New Mexico? One reason I'd vote
for Arizona (only in terms of astronomy) is its much better seeing than is
typical elsewhere. That's in addition to spectacular transparency outside
of the cities and towns. But I know this because I live in Arizona. I
don't know what New Mexico offers, other than transparency and, I imagine,
different politics and population. There have to be more factors than just
astronomical to take into consideration when selecting a new place to
live.

Howard

Also there is the higher elevation and less dust to consider with Arizona
over New Mexico. Utah is also very good, if you can put up with the
natives. I drove into Utah from Colorado once via highway 50 (the loneliest
road in America. Upon crossing the border into Utah, I noticed a sign that
said "Utah. It's still just right", and someone had written in big red
letters "wing". :-)

George

Old July 30th 08, 01:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"George" wrote

About 5 years ago I heard a talk at NEAF by Todd Gross (former 'scope
reviewer' and Boston TV weather person) on this vary subject. One place that
he mentioned as having great potential because of seeing and dark sky was
the area in northwest Florida around the Chiefland Astronomy Village
location. That area of Florida still has very dark sky, and Florida's famous
excellent seeing conditions. The dark area extends from Chiefland all of the
way over to the Gulf shore. Two Florida friends, one living in the Keys
right next to the WSP site and the other living in Orlando, both told me
that sky conditions are better in the Chiefland area then in the Keys, but
of course you lose a little of the far southern sky and you have to survive
the occasional hurricane. I would also consider the US Virgin Islands where
one island is mostly US national park, and I understand that one of the
Hawaiian islands is still pretty dark. The sat views of Cuba show it's
pretty dark, so maybe when Castro goes, it might be a nice location for at
least a vacation home & observatory.

George N

Old July 30th 08, 03:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

George Normandin wrote:

About 5 years ago I heard a talk at NEAF by Todd Gross (former 'scope
reviewer' and Boston TV weather person) on this vary subject. One place that
he mentioned as having great potential because of seeing and dark sky was
the area in northwest Florida around the Chiefland Astronomy Village
location. That area of Florida still has very dark sky, and Florida's famous
excellent seeing conditions. The dark area extends from Chiefland all of the
way over to the Gulf shore. Two Florida friends, one living in the Keys
right next to the WSP site and the other living in Orlando, both told me
that sky conditions are better in the Chiefland area then in the Keys, but
of course you lose a little of the far southern sky and you have to survive
the occasional hurricane. I would also consider the US Virgin Islands where
one island is mostly US national park,

That would be the island of St. John. "Astronomical" aptly describes
the cost of real estate there. Seniors have to consider the sparse
availability of medical services in the Caribbean. My wife and I
vacation at Caneel Bay on St. John, and the skies are, indeed, superb.
On the other hand, I met a couple from St. Croix, USVI, at NEAF a few
years ago and I told them that I had been there and that I envied their
skies. "Not perfect," they said.
"Huh?"
"Dust."
"Huh?"
"Dust from the Sahara Desert."
"Ah. Having lived in the Sahara, and experiencing sandstorms that turn
day into night and cause the temperature to drop 40 degrees (from 140
to 100) in seconds, I understand."

The St. John Board of Realtors says "Expect to pay around $350,000 for
a "handyman special" home; super luxurious homes can top the
$10,500,000 mark. *The average home goes for $1,250,000. *Condominiums
range from around $300,000 for a studio to $1,500,000 for a two-bedroom
unit. *The average condo goes for $675,000."

and I understand that one of the
Hawaiian islands is still pretty dark.

See St. John remarks above.

The sat views of Cuba show it's
pretty dark, so maybe when Castro goes, it might be a nice location for at
least a vacation home & observatory.

Is it necessary to wait until Castro goes? Americans seem to be liked
and welcomed in Cuba.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from moving to a dark-sky site,
merely pointing out that one needs to be circumspect; it's not a
perfect world. Too hot. Too cold. Too remote. Too expensive (for
most)...

Davoud

--
Don't re-elect the past. Vote for the futu Obama in 2008!

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 30th 08, 03:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"Davoud" wrote
I'm not trying to discourage anyone from moving to a dark-sky site,
merely pointing out that one needs to be circumspect; it's not a
perfect world. Too hot. Too cold. Too remote. Too expensive (for
most).........

Yep, all of those reasons are why a few places are still dark: no one wants
to live there. People mention the southwest desert, but you really need to
experience the heat before deciding to move there. I personally don't want
to get stung for the 4th time by a scorpion; 3 times in one lifetime are
enough. Politics can also be a cause for dark sky, like in Cuba (or North
Korea, with real dark skies, and it also has the dust you mention at times,
yellowish brown clouds of dust carried off the Gobi. They have the same in
South Korea, plus the place is lit up like New Jersey). Even in my own
little "dark sky paradise", a rented house in NY's Adirondack Park (gray or
black on the Clear Sky Chart), life can be difficult at times, and thus my
wife is unwilling to live there full time. There's the bone chilling winter
temps and deep snow (how else would you have boreal forest?) and it is 90
minutes on a good day to the nearest emergency room (and even worse for my
wife, over 90 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart). It all makes Chiefland FL
sound attractive, at least until the next cat 5 hurricane hits. If you want
to live in dark sky country, you have to make sacrifices.

George N