Recommended Colonisation Books

Old November 19th 10, 01:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
JDonat

Default Recommended Colonisation Books

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any books on space colonisation. I have O'niells
but was looking for others, in a perfect world some more modern
incorporating later data.

Given the gravity issues would prefer those talking about Space
colonisation.

Dont want anything like that Zubrin rubbish eg:case for mars. Prefer
some scientific basis to the book rather than delusional science
fantasy wrapped in pretend science.

Appreciate it.

Jacob

Old November 19th 10, 04:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

I don't have any more modern ones to mention.

NASA had a special publication on this stuff: "Space Settlements: A
Design Study", NASA Special Publication 413; I'm lucky enough to have
a paper copy of this book, which I was able to recognize as being
typeset on an IBM Selectric Composer.

In confirming its identity without walking to the next room to look at
my copy, I found this site, though:

http://www.nss.org/resources/library/

There was also that thing from the Whole Earth Catalog people, Space
Colonies - A CoEvolution Book.

I see it has a web site too:

http://wholeearth.com/issue/1200/art...evolution.book

John Savard
Old November 19th 10, 11:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

On 11/18/2010 6:35 PM, JDonat wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any books on space colonisation. I have O'niells
but was looking for others, in a perfect world some more modern
incorporating later data.

Given the gravity issues would prefer those talking about Space
colonisation.

Dont want anything like that Zubrin rubbish eg:case for mars. Prefer
some scientific basis to the book rather than delusional science
fantasy wrapped in pretend science.

Appreciate it.

Jacob

T. A. Heppenheimer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._A._Heppenheimer

My personal favorite is Towards Distant Suns, although its a bit dated,
it covers the development of the SSME. He's a space historian mostly.

Old November 20th 10, 03:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hop

On Nov 18, 5:35*pm, JDonat wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any books on space colonisation. I have O'niells
but was looking for others, in a perfect world some more modern
incorporating later data.

Given the gravity issues would prefer those talking about Space
colonisation.

Dont want anything like that Zubrin rubbish eg:case for mars. Prefer
some scientific basis to the book rather than delusional science
fantasy wrapped in pretend science.

Appreciate it.

Jacob

"Mining the Sky" by John Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Mining-Sky-Unt...dp/0201328194/

The Earth Moon L4 and L5 points are high enough on earth's gravity
well that they're vulnerable to perturbations from the sun. These
locations aren't truly stable. So I wouldn't put massive colonies
there as O'Neill advocated.

Lagrange regions of interest are EML1 and EML2. These would be good
locations for propellent depots.
Old November 24th 10, 02:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
JDonat

Thanks to all for the replys.

I've ordered the Heppenheimer book, the latest one (2nd hand). The
mining in the sky one seems to be more about resources than the actual
colony details.

Space Settlements: A Design Study is pure gold and is what got me
interested, depressingly it is 35 years old hence why I was trying to
find something more recent.

For those who sent me materials offline thankyou. The HOPE reports
were interesting as were some of the BIS reports around lunar et al
colonies. I'm still wading through the russian materials, some of it
is as good as Sp-413 although written with a technical audience in
mind so need more time to absorb especially given the language
barriers and need to translate some documents. But again this material
is 20+ years old.

Guess my hope of a more recent SP-413 kind of book or study was
optimistic.

Thanks again for everyones help, and if you think of anything else
please feel to post or send to me via email.