Ares... what's in a name?

Old January 16th 07, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Ares... what's in a name?

Our new boosters are Ares I and Ares V.
Besides being named after the Greek god of war, proposed around 2005 and
aimed for the flight test time frame around 2010 (in the case of Ares
I), these aren't the only things named Ares out there, and from the same
time frame in both conception and flight test:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ares.htm
A SSRB is recoverable, isn't it?
And you can hang something on its side using the ET connections.
And being solid-fueled, it has a rapid response capability.

Pat
Old January 16th 07, 04:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:
Our new boosters are Ares I and Ares V.
Besides being named after the Greek god of war, proposed around 2005
and aimed for the flight test time frame around 2010 (in the case of
Ares I), these aren't the only things named Ares out there, and from
the same time frame in both conception and flight test:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ares.htm
A SSRB is recoverable, isn't it?
And you can hang something on its side using the ET connections.
And being solid-fueled, it has a rapid response capability.

Here's some more goodies on this BTW:
http://gop.science.house.gov/hearing...18/steidle.htm
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=4487
http://www.space.com/news/military_space_010829-1.html
I'm still trying to dig something up; a few months back there was an
article that said that NASA and the DOD had reached a agreement where
NASA payloads that were suited to Delta IV/Atlas V were required to use
those boosters, and DOD payloads suited to Ares I had to use that
booster. At the time, that didn't seem like any big deal, but after
this...it gives the DOD clear access to Ares I as part of a rapid
response launch system.

Ares IV Revelation kT History 246 January 19th 07 03:37 PM
Ares IV Revelation kT Amateur Astronomy 236 January 19th 07 03:37 PM
Ares I & V Jeff Lerner History 9 July 3rd 06 06:34 AM
Ares recovery PowerPost2000 Space Shuttle 6 July 2nd 06 05:48 PM