green laser pointer issue

Old January 24th 05, 03:20 AM
Davoud

Tom Wales:
I agree with you, if you think about it banning green lasers is "visible
progress" in the fight against terror. It may not be a threat but if enough
hype is generated by the media about GLP then the general public will fear
the evil users of these devices. Then when Homeland Security bans them they
will look like heroes and have validated their existence. The current
political regime thrives on creating fear and keeping citizens on edge in
order to pass off their agenda as safe guards instead of it's true purpose
"increasing the span of control government has on us". They won't be happy
until your every movement is monitored and a government class/permit is
required for anything deemed a possible threat. No folks I'm not a
conspiracy theorist, just a very observant citizen of a country that used to
be the "Land of The Free".

Sad to say, I think you are right. This regime could not have been
elected if a majority of voters (a tiny majority, but a majority,
nonetheless) were not afraid. The regime made them afraid, and the
regime is expert at playing on the fear that it has created. America,
home of the frightened.

Davoud
9/11/01 was the greatest day in the history of the American far right.
They owe a real debt of gratitude to UBL.

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 24th 05, 04:36 AM

I've seen these green lasers being used by kids and rather
irresponsibly...
shooting it at movie screens in the theatre, right in their friends

eye, a
distraction during school assemblies, etc etc.

You'd have to be an idiot to use a green laser at a movie or a school
assembly. Everyone can see who is shooting it. The red lasers are much
better for that purpose. No one can tell where it is coming from. You
really need both.

Old January 24th 05, 05:17 AM

So if I take your logic a step further, there shouldn't be laws against
advanced weapondry since the bad guys wouldn't respect those laws?

And we shouldn't do anything at all about the use of a use of a
technology that has few uses outside weapons targeting? That is to say,
it is hard think of reasons for pointing lasers at airplanes other than
1) I was just messing around, 2) I was pointing out a sky object and
accidentally hit the plane, and 3) I was practicing launching a real
weapon at a plane--I hope they are delivered soon since they will be
HOT when they arrive and will need to be used ASAP--meanwhile I'll
practice with the laser...

Not to apologize for over-reacting government officials but there does
seem to be a legitimate issue here...

--Darin

www.darinboville.com

Old January 24th 05, 05:31 AM
Mark

Please don't misunderstand, I am not advocating or saying it should be
"legal" to wave a green laser at an airplane, it's just gross
over-reaction when the perpetrator is subjected to possible huge fines
and decades in jail. The risk just isn't present to justify that kind
of penalty. And calling attention to it only makes it more likely to
happen. Most astronomers with GLPs have the sense to use them wisely.
Politicians who want to make something out of nothing, and don't even
bother to understand the issue irritate me to no end.

Of course advanced weaponry that can be used against planes should be
outlawed, it already is AFAIK. Asking pilots to report ANY observed
GLP activity, whether directed at the plane or not, is ridiculous, as
is banning GLPs from a star party where they can be used for education.

Mark

Old January 24th 05, 05:49 AM
Tim Killian

You are misstating the facts. His treatment has little to do with laser
pointers. The guy in NJ is getting slammed because 1) he lied to the
FBI, and 2) he is being used by the prosecutors to test the new laws in
the Patriot act. If he had cooperated when arrested instead of acting
like a fool, he likely would not be facing these draconian charges. The
same thing happened to Martha Stewart. I doubt he will get the full
sentence or the fine the feds are seeking.

The latest issue of Aviation Week magazine has an article about the
recent spate of laser incidents. They range from annoying glare in the
cockpit on approach, to a second officer who was diagnosed with retinal
burns. The article also features a picture of a small amateur telescope
with a green laser star sight attached, and its beam pointing skyward.

You just can't buy publicity like that...

Old January 24th 05, 05:51 AM
abc

But, you guys could now have your own convention and psycho-therapy groups.

Adults-Without-Lasers (AWL)

Then you could have your own pharmacology. (LASEK)

Just think of the possibilities for exploiting your own kind. One of you could
become a millionaire off the rest of your kind. Its the American Way!

abc

Tom Wales wrote:

IMHO going after people with GLPs is simply taking the path of least
resistance to show you are doing SOMETHING rather than addressing real
threats.

I agree with you, if you think about it banning green lasers is "visible
progress" in the fight against terror. It may not be a threat but if enough
hype is generated by the media about GLP then the general public will fear
the evil users of these devices. Then when Homeland Security bans them they
will look like heroes and have validated their existence. The current
political regime thrives on creating fear and keeping citizens on edge in
order to pass off their agenda as safe guards instead of it's true purpose
"increasing the span of control government has on us". They won't be happy
until your every movement is monitored and a government class/permit is
required for anything deemed a possible threat. No folks I'm not a
conspiracy theorist, just a very observant citizen of a country that used to
be the "Land of The Free".

Tom W.

Old January 24th 05, 07:23 AM
Uncle Bob

Bill Waterston wrote:
I think you guys might be off on this one. I've seen these green lasers
being used by kids and rather irresponsibly... shooting it at movie screens
in the theatre, right in their friends eye, a distraction during school
assemblies, etc etc. It's true, you can use them to help out at star
parties and the like, but I really feel that their danger outweighs their
usefulness and if they are not banned, sales should be restricted to those
under a certain age. As with a gun, perhaps a permit should be needed also.
Ridiculous? Perhaps, perhaps not, but they are definitely a growing
problem.

Bill

We went through a similar hue and cry when red laser pointers were the
fad. Now green laser pointers are the fad. In six months, something
else will come along to displace green lasers as the greatest threat
to...to...well, you know, the *next cause for alarm*.

So let's cool our jets and let nature take its course. When it's all
over, we won't have any more or any less freedoms or technological
yo-yo's than we did before it all began.

I sure hope word never gets out that microwaving compact discs can
create a runaway matter-anti-matter anihillation event.

Uncle Bob