green laser pointer issue

Old January 23rd 05, 07:49 PM
Bill Waterston

Default green laser pointer issue

I think you guys might be off on this one. I've seen these green lasers
being used by kids and rather irresponsibly... shooting it at movie screens
in the theatre, right in their friends eye, a distraction during school
assemblies, etc etc. It's true, you can use them to help out at star
parties and the like, but I really feel that their danger outweighs their
usefulness and if they are not banned, sales should be restricted to those
under a certain age. As with a gun, perhaps a permit should be needed also.
Ridiculous? Perhaps, perhaps not, but they are definitely a growing
problem.

Bill

Old January 23rd 05, 08:02 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:49:46 GMT, "Bill Waterston"
wrote:

I think you guys might be off on this one. I've seen these green lasers
being used by kids and rather irresponsibly... shooting it at movie screens
in the theatre, right in their friends eye, a distraction during school
assemblies, etc etc. It's true, you can use them to help out at star
parties and the like, but I really feel that their danger outweighs their
usefulness and if they are not banned, sales should be restricted to those
under a certain age. As with a gun, perhaps a permit should be needed also.
Ridiculous? Perhaps, perhaps not, but they are definitely a growing
problem.

There's really not much danger, only a possible nuisance. For the most
part, this nuisance is easy to fix by punishing the abuser. Ban lasers
from schools. Kick abusers out of theaters and other such venues (with
no refund). And for those who genuinely create dangerous situations
(shining into drivers' eyes is about the only situation I can think of;
the aviation danger is laughable) come down with the force of the law.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 23rd 05, 08:38 PM
Davoud

Bill Waterston:
I think you guys might be off on this one. I've seen these green lasers
being used by kids and rather irresponsibly... shooting it at movie screens
in the theatre, right in their friends eye, a distraction during school
assemblies, etc etc.

*****

Since green lasers are small and easily concealed, while children are
large by comparison and not so easily concealed, I would propose
banning children in public places. That would be easier to enforce,
more popular with the public, and would have many side benefits.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old January 23rd 05, 08:48 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:38:56 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Since green lasers are small and easily concealed, while children are
large by comparison and not so easily concealed, I would propose
banning children in public places. That would be easier to enforce,
more popular with the public, and would have many side benefits.

Why limit it to public places? How about banning them entirely? The long
term environmental benefits would be enormous! g

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old January 23rd 05, 09:21 PM

I been reading many (but certainly not all!) of these green laser posts
and I'm puzzled. Most posters here poo-poo any possible danger in these
and they have a point, to a degree.

But isn't the real issue here the worry that laser devices can be used
as tracking/aiming aids for anti-aircraft missles or other weapons? I
don't think the pilots are so much worried about being blinded as being
shot down. That fear, grounded in a real threat or not, would certainly
be an unwanted distraction for pilots to deal with while landing/taking
off.

And if we are talking about a laser outfitted in such a way to allow
actual tracking of airplanes--well, we are way off into highly suspect
behavior at that point.

So that reasonable public interest seems to easily trump the intrerests
of backyard astronomers.

It isn't like the loss of the things will materially affect the science
of astronomy, educational efforts. or the enjoyment of hobbyists.
--Darin

www.darinboville.com

Old January 23rd 05, 09:46 PM
Mark

If you have a weapon sophisticated enough to utilize a LASER targeting
system, then I doubt you are going to be deterred by a law forbidding
GLPs. Besides, a slow-moving jet on takeoff or landing is an easy
target for any number of weapons that have been around far longer than
GLPs.

"Sorry Abdul, the mean old FBI agent confiscated my $59 green laser
pointer"

IMHO going after people with GLPs is simply taking the path of least
resistance to show you are doing SOMETHING rather than addressing real
threats.

Old January 24th 05, 01:18 AM
Tom Wales

IMHO going after people with GLPs is simply taking the path of least
resistance to show you are doing SOMETHING rather than addressing real
threats.

I agree with you, if you think about it banning green lasers is "visible
progress" in the fight against terror. It may not be a threat but if enough
hype is generated by the media about GLP then the general public will fear
the evil users of these devices. Then when Homeland Security bans them they
will look like heroes and have validated their existence. The current
political regime thrives on creating fear and keeping citizens on edge in
order to pass off their agenda as safe guards instead of it's true purpose
"increasing the span of control government has on us". They won't be happy
until your every movement is monitored and a government class/permit is
required for anything deemed a possible threat. No folks I'm not a
conspiracy theorist, just a very observant citizen of a country that used to
be the "Land of The Free".

Tom W.

Old January 24th 05, 02:10 AM
Mark

I'm not so sure that the motivations of the "regime" are as sinister as
you seem to think, but I am sure people are under pressure to show
results and this is a pretty easy way to do it. Plus, let a few eager
politicians get ahold of a concept like "a GLP could possibly blind a
pilot" and it can go way overboard.