AP 206 EDF on Astromart Auction

Old January 23rd 05, 09:55 AM

JJK wrote:
Chloe wrote:
thanks for clearing that up.
good optics are not exclusive to AP. anyone determined enough could
make an identical scope of identical quality for a considerably

lower
price. what would happen if someone new were to start selling these

for
say $10 000?

It is extremely unlikely that a scope of the AP206's caliber will

ever be
sold, let alone made, for anything close to $10K. The best glass is
expensive, particularly in large blanks, figuring a triplet to AP's
specifications is time consuming, etc..

Also, in addition to the excellent color correction in AP's scope,

Roland
also worked hard on reducing weight in his OTAs (that's also true of

the 10"
Mak-Cass). It is this attention to details that make AP scopes so

desirable.

The AP206 may even be worth much more than I offered. However, that

is for
someone else to decide.

TEC and TMB make large apos. The fit and finish of TEC's mechanicals

are
excellent (unfortunately, I never looked through one). I only saw one

TMB
scope at AstroFest long ago. I don't remember it in detail anymore.

I understand what you are saying. people like alvan clarke or roland
christien dont come around often and the equipment they make is an
investment in quality (or at the very least name recognition).
I am curious about this because I know I cam make the OTA out of carbon
fiber at half the wheight. I also know I can do the focuser at the same
quality level. I am wondering if it might be worth my while to try my
hand at this buisness or am I wasting my time and money being without
any name recognition.

chloe

Old January 23rd 05, 10:07 AM

JJK wrote:
Chloe wrote:
[...]

I get what you are saying, I am wondering how much of a factor was the
name.
chloe

Old January 23rd 05, 02:24 PM
JJK

"CHASLX200" wrote:
We wont see the day of $10,000 8"APO's like AP, TMB or other top end

scopes!

I agree.

Old January 23rd 05, 08:32 PM
Tim Killian

King Solomon once said: "Do you see a man who is skilled in his craft?
He will serve before Kings and Princes"

For the rest of us: "Never underestimate a man's ability to overestimate
his ability", is probably more appropriate ;-)