Orion 80mm ED price drop??

Old July 6th 04, 06:28 PM
francis marion

Default Orion 80mm ED price drop??

Just came across this at the Orion home page:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...roductID=47130

Shows about a $120 price drop on the Orion 80 mm ED. It doesn't say that
it's a refurb or a 2nd!!

FMarion

Old July 6th 04, 07:13 PM
CLT

Has the price changed on the OTA alone? (I wasn't keeping track of it and
can't remember what it was ;-)

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
And the Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old July 6th 04, 07:19 PM
francis marion

No, it looks like the picture shows the OTA, tripod, finder etc.........

The entire set up is listed at $697 as opposed to the $819 of a month ago.

Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

FM

Old July 6th 04, 08:03 PM
CLT

That's 1-800-447-1001. Make sure they back it up with a full warrantee
and ask for the free shipping offer*.

* I don't know that there is a free shipping offer, but it couldn't
hurt to ask.

I like your style John!

;-)

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

Linoleum: It's not just for outerwear anymore.

Old July 6th 04, 08:51 PM
matt

if you look at the top left side of the page, it shows it is a clearance
item .

These are by Orion's definition either discontinued, overstock, or
refurbished customer returns . Also by Orion's definition they don't come
with some of the free accessories like the same item when new, for example
the clock drive for the SVP mount .

If you buy the same scope new, you'd pay $820 including in this the single
axis drive . When you buy the refurb, you don't get the drive and you pay
$700 . The single axis drive is listed for $70 , so you'd save exactly $50
for buying a refurb.

best regards,
matt tudor

John Steinberg wrote in message
francis marion wrote:

Shows about a $120 price drop on the Orion 80 mm ED. It doesn't say that
it's a refurb or a 2nd!!

(Much as I hate to be a party pooper)

But if you click on the Printable Product Info button on the bottom left
of the page, a pop-up window appears, and in that window, under the
subhead "Accessories & Additional Features" scroll to "Other
included items", the text to the right reads as follows:

Other included items are not always the same between a new item and
a second. Seconds may be older versions of an existing product or a
customer, return where accessory substitutions have been made.

Although one cannot be 100% sure it's a second, it sure sounds like it
is. I'd call them to confirm, but I'm not in the market for a 80mm ED.
Besides, you've got first dibs, francis.

Old July 6th 04, 08:54 PM
Jon Isaacs

Shows about a $120 price drop on the Orion 80 mm ED. It doesn't say that
it's a refurb or a 2nd!!

FMarion

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?it...GORY&itemID=33

Definitely a clearance item,