green laser pointer issue

Old January 25th 05, 04:12 AM
Bill Waterston

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've seen these green lasers being used by kids and rather

irresponsibly...
shooting it at movie screens in the theatre, right in their friends

eye, a
distraction during school assemblies, etc etc.

You'd have to be an idiot to use a green laser at a movie or a school
assembly. Everyone can see who is shooting it. The red lasers are much
better for that purpose.

For what purpose? Shooting at the movie screen or trying to hit the
speaker's eye during an assembly? Don't think so...

No one can tell where it is coming from. You
really need both.

Or neither... or allowed with a permit just like with guns.

Old January 25th 05, 11:14 AM
Jan Gustavsson

Mark wrote:
If you have a weapon sophisticated enough to utilize a LASER targeting
system, then I doubt you are going to be deterred by a law forbidding
GLPs. Besides, a slow-moving jet on takeoff or landing is an easy
target for any number of weapons that have been around far longer than
GLPs.

"Sorry Abdul, the mean old FBI agent confiscated my $59 green laser
pointer"

IMHO going after people with GLPs is simply taking the path of least
resistance to show you are doing SOMETHING rather than addressing real
threats.

Agree.
Weapons are more dangerous and those are free to be owned at a lot of
places.
Even a simple thing as a pen can be used to harm people.

The problem are that some people does not care, or does not have fantasy
enough to imagine what could go wrong, when playing around with these
pointers.
They are virtually harmless as a simple fork also are. But one sure
could do harm with both.

JG
Old January 25th 05, 11:23 AM
Jan Gustavsson

To Chris L Peterson
or anyone that knows

What GLP should I buy if I wanted to use it for star pointing and at the
same time want it to be as unharmful as possible?

JG

Old January 25th 05, 02:08 PM
Mark

Careful Wayne, let's not confuse anybody or defuse the crisis with a
rational thought...

Old January 25th 05, 02:38 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:23:56 +0100, Jan Gustavsson
wrote:

To Chris L Peterson
or anyone that knows

What GLP should I buy if I wanted to use it for star pointing and at the
same time want it to be as unharmful as possible?

Any class 3a (5mW) pointer should do. I made sure mine (from Howie
Glatter) was at the high end of the range, since my air is very thin
here. If you skim through the archives of S.A.A. for the last couple
months, you will find several other recommendations.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 25th 05, 03:15 PM
Florian

What GLP should I buy if I wanted to use it for star pointing and at =
the=20
same time want it to be as unharmful as possible?

I have the $59 model from z-bolt.com. Works just fine and delivery was =
very quick. They take Paypal too.

-Florian

Old January 25th 05, 06:11 PM
David G. Nagel

Jan Gustavsson wrote:

To Chris L Peterson
or anyone that knows

What GLP should I buy if I wanted to use it for star pointing and at the
same time want it to be as unharmful as possible?

JG

one that has .LT. 5 mw output energy.

Dave N.