Dont bring a green laser pointer to WSP :-O

Old January 22nd 05, 07:23 PM
Szaki

He's from California, so where is the ban?
Julius

"starlord" wrote in message
Calif. has become the first state to ban those wepons too.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

"Szaki" wrote in message
Easier to get than using a green laser. My co-worker had a 50 caliber

sniper
rifle, paid $5K for it. That gun can take your head off clean, easy from
1000 yards. An airplane engine would be a very easy target, disabling it

no
time or blow the windshield of the pilots cockpit.
Still perfectly legal to own, transport and to use. I'm sure he didn't
buy
it for hunting bambies.
JS

"Jon Isaacs" wrote in message
Can I bring my 50 caliber machine gun? For those nasty mosquitoes in
Florida, you know!?
JS

I think you will find that owning an automatic weapon of any sort

without
the
proper credentials and paper work is likely to get you into serious
trouble...

jon

Old January 22nd 05, 07:29 PM
David G. Nagel

Road Kill wrote:
all true, but idiots werent bouncing them off or aircraft then...
You cant expect the govt to sit still in this.

Do you know that anti nuc flash goggles worn by tact pilots actually intensify
the green laser wavelength?

Do you know the US DOT has now ordered all pilots to report any laser activity
they witness - any - whether directed at them or not. Justified or not the Govt
is going active on this. Countless observatories professional and otherwise
as well as clubs are responding appropriately - later, facilities elligible will
be
able to apply to become NO LOOK zones.

Thats the way it are. Yep'per.

Do you know that the DOD wants to use lasers to notify pilots that they
have entered restricted air space.

Peace.

mice. shrimpc. zealot'c. evil doer'c. goggle'c. Republican'c. Demo'c. and
wive'c'c.
(revise the Bush dictionary!)

Rod Mollise wrote:

Oh well, the pointers are best used at public educational outreaches and
not star parties.

Matthew Ota

Hi Matthew:

I agree.

You know, it's not like green lasers suddently hit the market a month ago.
They've been in the hands of plenty of amateurs for the last four years. And
they haven't caused much in the way of problems at any star party that I'm
aware of. Most amateurs I've met at star parties are considerate of their
brother and sister amateurs (or at least become considerate when reminded) so
as not to raise a ruckus with those prized Jedi Lightsabers. ;-)

But anybody should run their star party just the way they want to, and, as you
note, green lasers are really best in an instructional setting, anyway. Shame
to see rule making proceeding because of what the government _might_ think,
though. ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old January 22nd 05, 09:12 PM
Mij Adyaw

Another over-reaction.

Mij (Lifelong member of the National Green Laser Pointer Association)
We need a constitutional amendment to ensure our rights to bear green laser
pointers anywhere including at Star parties.
My green anti-tank laser is brighter and more powerful than your puny laser
pointer. :-)

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just another politician trying to get some cheap publicity.

matt wrote:
stop joking about serious matters!
IF you think lasers are here to stay, think again. Or look here :
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGBHJ0KJ74E.html
for the new bill proposing to sentence people for up to 5 years in

prison
for aiming lasers at vehicles in Florida.

best regards,
matt tudor

Old January 22nd 05, 10:40 PM
RMOLLISE

Road Kill wrote:
all true, but idiots werent bouncing them off or aircraft then...
You cant expect the govt to sit still in this.

Do you know that anti nuc flash goggles worn by tact pilots actually

intensify
the green laser wavelength?

Hi Road Kill:

Having been a member of the late, lamented Stategic Air Command, I
probably know a good deal more about nuclear combat than you would ever
_want_ to know. ;-)

Anyhoo... The fact that some dimwit could point a laser at a pilot does
not mean green lasers should be off limits for the rest of us. How
about red lasers? How about .45 ACPs? How about r/c aircraft? How about
too bright flashlights?...the list of things that could be
_potentially_ harmful or distracting to pilots goes on and on...:-)

Old January 23rd 05, 12:27 AM
starlord

As of the first of the year, it is now unlawfull to buy, sell, even have a
high power 50cal gun. It's been all over the news about it.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:47 AM
Cheeses

You would be correct especially if its true the US DOT and FAA issued
a new guildine last week telling all pilots to "report any sighting of a
laser to
flight controllers immediately, whether directed at an aircraft or not" -
period!
Especially in the vicinity of airports. The DOD evidently is issuing new
rulings of its own with the FAA effective for all military instalations and
their
surroundings.

So! Lasers are not toys. There are transportation and air safety issues at
stake,
whether (some) amateur astronomy hobbeists like it or not. Sure, a lot of
amateurs
are "****ed off", to quote one club president. If the amateur community had
taken
a moment to be proactive in the first place, this might not be happening as it
is.
The amateur community and related media were busy elsewhere.

Good luck -

Charlie Hubbard wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:02:57 -0800, Wayne Howell
wrote:

David wrote:
JANUARY 2005

GREEN LASER BAN

Due to recent national events, it has become necessary for the Southern
Cross Astronomical Society of Miami, Florida, to completely ban the use
of green laser pointers at SCAS sponsored events. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
(January 2005) any use of such devices (hand-held or attached) at SCAS
Star Parties, the Winter Star Party, or any other SCAS public event
SHALL BE PROHIBITED. Violation of this restriction will result in the
immediate expulsion of the offending party from the SCAS event.
-Tim Khan, SCAS V. President/Director of the Winter
Star Party

A superb example of PC over-reaction! One has to wonder (with tongue
firmly placed in cheek) what will be next?

Really? I have no idea where the truth lies but my first thought was
the ban was probably put in place for fear of legal trouble or
insurance problems.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:51 AM
Cheeses

grow up Mr. Immature. Guys like you give amateur astronomy a black eye.

Impact9 wrote:

Are these SCAS events held on private or leased lands? Otherwise all
you could do is ask the person to leave. Otherwise you have no legal
rights to force them to leave or tell them what to do. On private land
you could ask them to leave then call the cops who would roll in with
the lights blazing. Maybe they will be nice and only use the red
lights. HA! Course I would play the ******* and just leave the land
then blind you from the property line with my GLP. hA!

Old January 23rd 05, 07:25 PM
Richard

Die and learn.
-Rich