Where do I go to see in Oregon?

Old April 12th 06, 11:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Where do I go to see in Oregon?

I don't own anything that can let me see more then a few hundred
kilometres (e.g. binoculars). Where can I go to see the universe? I
live in the Greater Portland Metro area of Oregon.

--adam

Old April 12th 06, 12:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Adam Hunt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own anything that can let me see more then a few hundred
kilometres (e.g. binoculars). Where can I go to see the universe? I
live in the Greater Portland Metro area of Oregon.

--adam

Outside.

Seriously. Those binoculars can show you a LOT. Go outside on a clear
night and look at the Moon, e.g. You'll be amazed at what you pick up that
isn't visible to your naked eye. Take a gander at the sword in Orion, and
you'll see something fuzzy, which is the Orion Nebula.

In short, there's quite a bit that you can see with just binoculars, even in
heavily light polluted skies.

Old April 12th 06, 01:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Adam Hunt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own anything that can let me see more then a few hundred
kilometres (e.g. binoculars). Where can I go to see the universe? I
live in the Greater Portland Metro area of Oregon.

--adam

Do you live under a rock? As Jack Horkheimer says, keep looking..up.

Old April 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Washington.

Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Can't say for sure now, but 15 years
ago it had nice dark skies.

Shawn
Old April 12th 06, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Malheur County has some good dark skies.

Old April 12th 06, 10:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:
Malheur County has some good dark skies.

Does it ever. But there is a reason
Old April 12th 06, 11:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Adam Hunt wrote:
I don't own anything that can let me see more then a few hundred
kilometres (e.g. binoculars). Where can I go to see the universe? I
live in the Greater Portland Metro area of Oregon.

In metro Portland, look up. With binos you can see many light years
(2.5 million if Andromeda galaxy is above the horizon). Always best
when the moon is not up (unless the moon is what you want to observe!)

To see more, drive over toward Mt. Hood on the loop highway .. or even
into eastern Oregon. Or even eastern WA. Malheur County is a bit
extreme from Portand, but you really don't need to go to the Steen Mtns
to get good views; Cascades will do nicely or even the Coast Range.

Phil
Old April 13th 06, 04:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler wrote:
wrote:

Malheur County has some good dark skies.

Does it ever. But there is a reason

Cue "Dueling Banjos"?
Old April 13th 06, 03:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Since you live in Portland, Oregon you might want to contact the
outreach program for that state, which is one of the best in the
country. In particular see the following site:

http://pmo-sun.uoregon.edu/

This site has links to Friends of PMO and other links.

Someone suggested Gifford Pinchot forest but if my geography is correct
I think that is in North Carolina.

Old April 13th 06, 04:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

callisto wrote:
Since you live in Portland, Oregon you might want to contact the
outreach program for that state, which is one of the best in the
country. In particular see the following site:

http://pmo-sun.uoregon.edu/

This site has links to Friends of PMO and other links.

Someone suggested Gifford Pinchot forest but if my geography is correct
I think that is in North Carolina.

Geology of NC has changed since I was last there. ;-)
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/

Shawn