Viewing the Andromeda Galaxy in Houston,Texas?

Old March 11th 04, 07:49 PM
Phil

Default Viewing the Andromeda Galaxy in Houston,Texas?

Greetings to all ...

I'm new to amatuer astronomy have been trying for 3 weeks hoping to
get a glimpst of M31 the Andromeda Galaxy. I have checked my star
chart software and have double and triple checked the co-ordinates on
my telescope (RA and DEC). But alas to no avail.

Last night (March 10) was very good "seeing". I found Venus, no
problem, I found what appears to be Mirach (mag 2.06) and that is
about how far I got. According to my star chart software M31
currently has a magnitude of 3.50. Is M31 to dim to be viewed with
the amount of light pollutions here?

Any suggestions of comments would be appreciated!

__
Phil Tusa

To reply,remove *nospam* to insure is not returned as "undeliverable".

Old March 11th 04, 08:47 PM
hbb2102

Phil-
You should definitely be able to see it... Usually what I do is locate
the eastern triangle of Cass (the one with Schedar at the apex), draw in my
mind's eye a perpendicular to the base formed by Beta (Caph) and Gamma Cass
through Schedar, and then head towards Andromeda. About 2/3 of the way
there, I start scanning "up" a little (to the East) and it shows in the
finder-scope.
If I can see it from Silicon Valley, you should be able to see it.

Rob
37.54 N
121.98 W

"Phil" wrote in message
Greetings to all ...

I'm new to amatuer astronomy have been trying for 3 weeks hoping to
get a glimpst of M31 the Andromeda Galaxy. I have checked my star
chart software and have double and triple checked the co-ordinates on
my telescope (RA and DEC). But alas to no avail.

Last night (March 10) was very good "seeing". I found Venus, no
problem, I found what appears to be Mirach (mag 2.06) and that is
about how far I got. According to my star chart software M31
currently has a magnitude of 3.50. Is M31 to dim to be viewed with
the amount of light pollutions here?

Any suggestions of comments would be appreciated!

__
Phil Tusa

To reply,remove *nospam* to insure is not returned as "undeliverable".

---

Old March 12th 04, 03:05 AM
CLT

Hi Phil,

The magnitude figure is for the total light. In other words, if you took a
mag 3.5 star and put it out of focus until it was the same apparent size as
M31, they would be equal in brightness.

Setting circles can only do so much, depending on the accuracy in first
setting them. With M31, you have several good guide stars. If you have some
binoculars, I would use them to find it first and familiarize yourself with
the area. When you do hunt for it with the scope, use your lowest power as
M31 is extremely large and you need to get it and some of the surrounding
sky to see it.

What scope are you using?

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old March 12th 04, 10:10 PM
Phil

Hello Chuck ... How are you?

If you don't mind me asking - wherein the US do you reside?

Setting circles can only do so much, depending on the accuracy in first
setting them.

No kidding! I'm having a little trouble with the RA setting circle
(keeping it calibrated) but the DEC appears to be very close
after I polarized the scope.

With M31, you have several good guide stars. If you have some
binoculars, I would use them to find it first and familiarize yourself with
the area.

I did that last night here in Houston and found the area that M31
should be in. I have learned that binoculars can be an invaluable
tool, indeed!

When you do hunt for it with the scope, use your lowest power as
M31 is extremely large and you need to get it and some of the surrounding
sky to see it.

Thanks, I will do that ... I have a 25mm (65X) eyepiece that sould do
the trick.

What scope are you using?

I am using an Orion 130ST EQ. This is a 150mm Short Tube scope with a
6X30 sighting scope and an EQ-2 mount and tripod.

I'll get back to you when I FINALLY see it. I'm sure it will be an
exciting moment for me.

__

Old March 13th 04, 02:33 AM
CLT

Hi Phil,

Hello Chuck ... How are you?

If you don't mind me asking - wherein the US do you reside?

I'm in Tacoma, WA --- bright and next to Puget Sound, so we are clouded,
fogged or wiping the dew off. Around here if you use a dew shield on your
refractor, you have to tip it down every little bit and pour out a cup or
two of water.

Setting circles can only do so much, depending on the accuracy in first
setting them.

No kidding! I'm having a little trouble with the RA setting circle
(keeping it calibrated) but the DEC appears to be very close
after I polarized the scope.

I'd ignore them at this point and just learn the area and star hop.

With M31, you have several good guide stars. If you have some
binoculars, I would use them to find it first and familiarize yourself

with
the area.

I did that last night here in Houston and found the area that M31
should be in. I have learned that binoculars can be an invaluable
tool, indeed!

Could you see anything in the binos? It should appear as a faint, elongated
fuzzy smudge.

When you do hunt for it with the scope, use your lowest power as
M31 is extremely large and you need to get it and some of the surrounding
sky to see it.

Thanks, I will do that ... I have a 25mm (65X) eyepiece that sould do
the trick.

Sounds good. You want to have a lot of dark sky around it so it shows up.

What scope are you using?

I am using an Orion 130ST EQ. This is a 150mm Short Tube scope with a
6X30 sighting scope and an EQ-2 mount and tripod.

That should bring it in. If you ever get out to some dark skies, you can
find it with just your eyes, especially after the binos show you where to
look. In the meantime, no one has yet built a city bright enough to drown
out the moon.

I'll get back to you when I FINALLY see it. I'm sure it will be an
exciting moment for me.

You'll get it! You might try some smaller objects in the meantime. As odd as
it sounds, they can be much easier, especially in a light polluted area. M33
is bright enough for naked eyes, but extremely difficult in the city, no
matter how big the scope. It is just oo big/spread out.

In the meantime you can try:

M42 (easy to find but you won't see much. Try a nebula filter if you can
borrow one)
M41
M35
M44
M13 (if you stay up late)

Those will get you going and give you some confidence for finding others.

IIRC, Houston has a number of good astro clubs. You can find them at
http://skyandtelescope.com/resources/organizations/ If you can make it to a
public night, take your scope. With coaching, you'll find and learn more in
one evening than in several months on your own.

Old March 13th 04, 02:55 AM
Phil

Hello Chuck ...

Around here if you use a dew shield on your refractor,
you have to tip it down every little bit and pour out a cup or
two of water.

Damn, and I thought we had humidity here in Houston!

I'd ignore them at this point and just learn the area and star hop.

I guess I'm too technical sometimes and maybe it would just be more
fun just sweeping the skies.

Could you see anything in the binos? It should appear as a faint, elongated
fuzzy smudge.

Yes ... I do believe that is what I saw - or at least something like
that as you described ...

That should bring it in. If you ever get out to some dark skies, you can
find it with just your eyes, especially after the binos show you where to
look. In the meantime, no one has yet built a city bright enough to drown
out the moon.

At a magnitude (the moon) of -9 or better you better believe it! I
enjoy checking it out ... It's fascinating!

M42 (easy to find but you won't see much. Try a nebula filter if you can
borrow one)

Thanks Chuck ... A nebula filter huh? Sounds interesting, I'll see if
I can get my hands on one ...

Thanks again and I'll be in touch ...

__

Old March 13th 04, 06:51 PM
eyelessgame

Phil wrote in message . ..
Greetings to all ...

I'm new to amatuer astronomy have been trying for 3 weeks hoping to
get a glimpst of M31 the Andromeda Galaxy. I have checked my star
chart software and have double and triple checked the co-ordinates on
my telescope (RA and DEC). But alas to no avail.

Last night (March 10) was very good "seeing". I found Venus, no
problem, I found what appears to be Mirach (mag 2.06) and that is
about how far I got. According to my star chart software M31
currently has a magnitude of 3.50. Is M31 to dim to be viewed with
the amount of light pollutions here?

Any suggestions of comments would be appreciated!

__
Phil Tusa

To reply,remove *nospam* to insure is not returned as "undeliverable".

What size of scope do you have? You are using the lowest-power
eyepiece you have available, right?

I'd try M42 before I tried M31. M42 has much greater surface
brightness and easier-to-discern structure than M31, and the guide
stars for finding it are among the most recognizeable in the whole
sky.

If you have a lot of trouble with M42 it's possible that the more
diffuse M31 will be lost in the background light.
Old March 13th 04, 07:18 PM
Phil

Hello ...

What size of scope do you have? You are using the lowest-power
eyepiece you have available, right?

Yes I am using the lowest power on my Orion scope.

I'd try M42 before I tried M31. M42 has much greater surface

I agree ... I've seen it and what a view of it I had last week!

If you have a lot of trouble with M42 it's possible that the more
diffuse M31 will be lost in the background light.

Thanks for your helpful response ...

__

Old March 19th 04, 12:53 AM
Phil

Hello Chuck Taylor and all ...

Well... I finally saw M31 last night ! Three weeks of toil and labor,
some frustration and a short 2 hour drive to my folks farm here in
Texas - I got it! I was amazed at its "fishnet" appearence. The
"seeing" was excellent a perfect night to observe and familiarize
my self with mostly the western sky.

I manage to see it (M31) with my binoculars and never could see it
with my telescope - but that is another matter. The RA setting circle
on this scope is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance to all who responded.