Space Calendar - August 28, 1993 (20 Years Ago)

Old September 4th 13, 08:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Space Calendar - August 28, 1993 (20 Years Ago)

On 8/23/2013 4:55 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.news message , Wed, 21 Aug
2013 22:27:22, posted:

I came across an old version of my Space Calendar from 20 years
ago, which pre-dated the Web.

Pre-dated? Not according to Wikipedia.

Which puts the date for publicly accessible web access as August 23,
1991. Almost 2 years earlier than what Ron Baalke suggests. I suppose
whatever website was hosted was only on a CERN server. "Browsing" must
have been an interesting experience because this date predates the first
general release of the NCSA X Mosaic Web browser by a year and 5 months.

http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists...93q1/0099.html
http://1997.webhistory.org/www.lists...93q1/0103.html

I certainly remember the days of pulling files via ftp and for pictures
running them through the appropriate X-window based viewer on my 68K
based Sun workstation.

What a tangled web that was...

Dave

Old September 4th 13, 08:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Yeah yeah and before I get beat up.
Sure there were options *before* Mosaic.
*I* never used them.

http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html#browser

Dave

Old September 5th 13, 12:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , nospam@
127.0.0.1 says...

Yeah yeah and before I get beat up.
Sure there were options *before* Mosaic.
*I* never used them.
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html#browser

Me either. The first web browser we used at work was Mosaic.

Jeff
Old September 6th 13, 01:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier

On 09/05/2013 7:31 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , nospam@
127.0.0.1 says...

Yeah yeah and before I get beat up.
Sure there were options *before* Mosaic.
*I* never used them.
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html#browser

Me either. The first web browser we used at work was Mosaic.

Jeff

I think very few people used a web browser before Mosaic. We thought
Veronica and Gopher were great. When Mosaic and WWWW (World Wide Web
Worm) came along Veronica and Gopher suddenly didn't seem so great.

Alain Fournier