The run-away greenhouse is impossible

Old July 1st 08, 09:25 AM posted to soc.men,sci.chem,sci.physics,sci.astro
G. L. Bradford

Default The run-away greenhouse is impossible

"Androcles" wrote in message

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
| Androcles wrote:
| "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
| | Hasn't got anything to do with organisms evolving to rectify the
| | climate. One of the misconceptions of evolution is that something
has
| | evolve after a change in the climate or whatever. But in actual
fact
| | what's really happening is that these organisms have already existed
| | prior to the change, and the change makes them far more successful
than
| | they were before. So if the environment changes, the organisms that
will
| | re-regulate the environment will already exist, and now will simply
be
| | more successful.
| |
| | Yousuf Khan
|
| Actually you've given an optimistic bias to the situation. All species
| survive until killed, success has nothing to do with it.
| It is not survival of the fittest but destruction of the weakest that
| drives evolution. That's also called "luck".
|
| Whatever, works out to the same effect.
|
| Yousuf Khan

This is not so. "Survival of the fittest" evolution means that
individuals within the species compete with each other - for
example the antelope chased by a lion escapes and passes on
it genes at the expense of the slower antelope that is caught.
That didn't help the dodo, they were all wiped out by man.
The effects are very different, on the optimistic side the
species improves itself gradually, on the pessimistic side
the species becomes extinct. An extinct species cannot
have one individual more fit than another when neither exist.

There are... what... about a trillion or more different species of life on
and in this world at any one time? Many of those species just now popped
into existence as beginning life (as if with them, life is just now in its
beginning upon the Earth). And many of those just now popped out
existence....gone extinct (reminds me of flash occurrences in a particle
accelerator). Now evolutionary, or revolutionary, variations in a specific
species, that has been around for a while, pop into existence all the
time...and just as often as not, really more often that not, pop out of
existence, gone extinct, just about as quickly as they (variation) came.

Then there are the frozen seed spores of life -- very, very, hard to
kill -- that arrive upon the Earth from anywhere and everywhere in the
universe at large. No matter how hard to kill, many of these immigrants do
not survive the trip or the environment of space. But there are so many of
them at all times, neverendingly arriving.

Now to go back to "beginning life." For some reason it comes into
existence wisely fully equipped immediately to eat, divide, and fight
savagely for species' multiplication / prosperity...thus species' survival.
Even a base building block creature of life [just now] coming seemingly from
up out of nowhere is fully a world, even a universe, of life all in itself
since it knows so much of what it needs to know so instantaneously with its
appearance. It may even know it [previous] to its appearance here...or its
coalescence or spark here. It is a frontier, a frontiering, creatu a
Space Age [life-chance] like the others; something the Dark Age Utopian (the
not any longer to multiply, prosper, or survive, walking extinct) so [flatly
/ equally] obviously is not.

GLB