That wascally RASCAL

Old September 23rd 04, 09:19 PM
Allen Thomson

Default That wascally RASCAL

This is kind of second-hand. If anyone has more solid information
on what's going on with RASCAL, it would be a kindness to post it.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001105.html

TROUBLE FOR DARPA SPACE PROGRAM
Darpa, we have a problem.
Posted by noahmax at September 14, 2004 12:32 AM
[EXCERPTS]

[O]ne of Darpa's main space programs -- the Responsive Access,
Small Cargo and Affordable Launch Vehicle(RASCAL) project --
is "not going very well," agency director Tony Tether has
confessed. Darpa will "re-evaluate the program following a
design review this autumn," reports Defense News.

During 2002's DarpaTech conference, RASCAL program manager
Preston Carter promised flight tests in 2005. Now, it's
pretty clear that's not happening.

According to Defense News, RASCAL-designer Space Launch
Corporation says "has not yet determined the precise cost."

Darpa has run into cost growth problems with the RASCAL
program in the past, because the carrier aircraft turned
out to be more expensive than anticipated. Early in the
program, the estimated cost of developing the aircraft was
$88 million, but the total program cost now is estimated to
pass the $100 million mark in 2005 with significant funding
still needed to carry through to a flight demonstration.
Old September 24th 04, 09:20 AM
George William Herbert

Rand Simberg wrote:
(Allen Thomson) glowed:
This is kind of second-hand. If anyone has more solid information
on what's going on with RASCAL, it would be a kindness to post it.

RASCAL had an intrinsic program conundrum in that it was a technology
(MIPCC) looking for a problem. DARPA didn't want cheap launch--they
wanted cheap launch that used MIPCC, even though a pure rocket
solution might have made more sense..

I haven't made much of a secret of my aborted response to RASCAL.
I've discussed it at conferences informally but I don't recall
if I posted it.

We were going to propose a hot-rodded B-1 (B-1B airframe
with the B-1A intakes, and some extra titanium skins)
with nitrous oxide MIPCC as the "booster" and a conventional
two stage upper stage carried in one of the bomb bays.

The B-1 modifications were going to take longer to develop
than the upper stage. To keep things on track, I sketched
out a pressure fed booster rocket stage, which would duplicate
the B-1's ascent profile and let us test the upper stages
launch to orbit.

Once sketched, the booster rocket proved to be significantly
cheaper to develop, and to have a lower per flight marginal
cost than the B-1, and to have a lower development cost
than the B-1 modifications by probably an order of magnitude.

I was sorely tempted to propose this whole thing and
halfway through say "Oh, Oops, This little test rocket
thingige is cheaper and more effective than the big
MIPCC airplane thingie, can we quit now and call it
a launch system?"

I couldn't quite bring myself to complete the proposal
and see how well it would work.

-george william herbert