Total Solar Eclipse Live Tonight

Old November 23rd 03, 04:27 PM
W. Watson

Default Total Solar Eclipse Live Tonight

Tonight, yes tonight, at 6 p.m. PST (9 EST) on the Discovery Science
Channel is a live broadcast of the total solar eclipse from
Antarctica. I suspect it will be live on the internet from various
museums. For example, check the Exploratorium in San Francisco.
--
Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet, Nevada City, CA)
-- GMT-8 hr std. time, RJ Rcvr 39° 8' 0" N, 121° 1' 0" W

"If I'm given six hours to cut down a tree, then I spend four hours
sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
sierra_mtnview -at- earthlink -dot- net
Imaginarium Museum: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html

Old November 23rd 03, 11:15 PM
Eclipsme

I'm hoping the Discovery channel does a broadcast, but it won't be live. The
eclipse occurred around 5:30 PM EST. It was clouded out on the Japanese
site, which did carry it live.

Harvey

Old November 24th 03, 08:19 AM
Mike Simmons

Eclipsme wrote:

I'm hoping the Discovery channel does a broadcast, but it won't be live. The
eclipse occurred around 5:30 PM EST. It was clouded out on the Japanese
site, which did carry it live.

Harvey

And there were no other live broadcasts.

Mike Simmon

Old November 24th 03, 12:19 PM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Mike et al,

I remember reading somewhere online (National Geographic?) just
the other day that people paid at least $18,000 for the 30-day long boat
ride for this eclipse. Speak about an investment (time and money) which
goes against you. Similarly, flights dedicated to the eclipse where even
more expensive ($30,000+) but at least one would have a much better
chance for imaging something.

Anthony.

Old November 24th 03, 04:12 PM
Eclipsme

There were 2 charter flights that I know of, one from Australia and the
other from Argentina, or Chile, I believe. Here is a link to the Australia
flight pricing:

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/seating_0001.htm

Prices were $900 - $4500, depending on seating and access to a window during
the eclipse.

The price you quote for the cruise sounds about right, perhaps a bit low.

Harvey

Old November 25th 03, 04:04 AM
Mike Simmons

Anthony et al,

You can see some of the Discovery channel's coverage by going to the
story at
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...2/?hub=SciTech
and clicking on the Related Videos, especially the second (7-minute)
one. Good coverage!

For a report from the Russian icebreaker see
http://www.nojum.net/news/newse.asp?newsid=13.

For a report from the air and some spectacular photos see
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...os_031224.html.

Mike Simmons

Old November 25th 03, 06:26 AM
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the links. I am in line for a total solar eclipse in
2006 .... no travel needed to such cold places! :-)

Anthony.