LX90 - 8" v's 10"????

Old November 28th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default LX90 - 8" v's 10"????

Wife always says that an extra 2" would make a difference, however,
what about with this scope???

Looking at buying the LX90 LNT in the next few weeks, but wanted to
know your opinions on the extra 2" and is the extra cost of around
£500!!!! really worth it??

Thanks
Old November 28th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Looking at buying the LX90 LNT in the next few weeks, but wanted to
know your opinions on the extra 2" and is the extra cost of around
£500!!!! really worth it??

Thanks

I suppose it depends on how you are going to use it. If its going to be
set-up in a permanent postion then go for the 10". I have the 8"
LX-90(The older version) and its managable enough to transport in the car to
remote locations.

I do not know how much heaver the 10" version is - this would be a
condsideration if its going to be used in temporary locations. The setting
up may be easy enough but the packing away may be a bit of a chore
especially if you are tired!

Another question is do you want to spend a extra 500 quid? I'm sure the
extra 2" would make a difference, especially if looking for fainter objects.
If the 10" was available at the time I bought mine, I probably would've
bought that.

Mark

Old November 29th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:54:57 +0000 (UTC), "Mark"
wrote:

[...]

I was going to buy an new 8" LX10 but got a secondhand 10" LX200GPS
for about the same price. I was a little nervous about the extra
weight but its managable.
Old November 29th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

OP said:
Looking at buying the LX90 LNT in the next few weeks, but wanted to
know your opinions on the extra 2" and is the extra cost of around
£500!!!! really worth it??

I suppose it depends on how you are going to use it. If its going to be
set-up in a permanent postion then go for the 10". I have the 8"
LX-90(The older version) and its managable enough to transport in the car to
remote locations.

I do not know how much heaver the 10" version is - this would be a
condsideration if its going to be used in temporary locations.

According to the Telescope House web page:

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page...lang=001lngdef

the the 8inch is 31 lb and the 10 inch is 40 lb. I have the 8 inch and
find it relatively easy to lift out of the house onto the tripod and
could probably manage the extra weight of the 10 inch, but the extra
size would also be a consideration, in terms of ease of lifting.

It looks like the 10 inch has the better drives like the LX200, see:

http://www.meade.com/lx90/lx90_specs.html

so that may well be worth the extra as well as having 56 per cent more
aperture.

One thing I would check is whether the 10 inch has sufficient
clearance between the OTA and the fork base for the #1209 zero image
shift electric focusser as well as a diagonal (or a web cam); The 8
inch can't quite do this.

The LX90 Yahoo group is a good source of info and advice.

- Mike

LX90 8" or 10" @home UK Astronomy 4 November 14th 05 11:47 PM
LX90 First Light ag73 UK Astronomy 3 July 29th 05 07:25 PM
LX90 wedge Grimble Gromble UK Astronomy 7 November 22nd 04 07:11 PM
Warning possible ebay scam...(on LX90) vic20owner Amateur Astronomy 5 September 17th 04 05:26 PM
Help LX90 Autostar quirk Darrell M UK Astronomy 2 November 16th 03 05:05 PM