Strange ray

Old June 23rd 05, 05:32 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default Strange ray

While looking at some of the other shots I got last night I noticed
this one

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050622/strangeray.jpg

Look out for the faint ray that appears to be coming from the
street-light and passing up into the sky close to Mirphak. Probably
something to do with the street-light but I've never seen this effect
before. I'll have to wander down and replicate the shot.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 23rd 05, 06:21 PM
Martin Frey

Pete Lawrence wrote:

While looking at some of the other shots I got last night I noticed
this one

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050622/strangeray.jpg

Look out for the faint ray that appears to be coming from the
street-light and passing up into the sky close to Mirphak. Probably
something to do with the street-light but I've never seen this effect
before. I'll have to wander down and replicate the shot.

Could be crepuscular ray - doesn't seem to converge exactly on the
street light.

see http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/anti1.htm

and even more spectacularly

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/skywide.htm

I saw wat appeared to be bright green light show of rays from horizon
to far up into the sky from a plane, some time before dawn and was
told they were crepuscular rays.

All the 250 passengers tried to look out the same side windows at the
same time, causing the captain to intervene - presumably because the
plane was unbalanced.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old June 23rd 05, 09:08 PM
Martin Frey

Just had a last despairing look at the cloud banks.

If that bugger Lawrence gets a clear sky tonight I shan't be
responsible for the consequences. You have been warned.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old June 23rd 05, 09:26 PM
Jim

Martin Frey wrote:

Just had a last despairing look at the cloud banks.

If that bugger Lawrence gets a clear sky tonight

Not if http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm is to
be believed.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.
Old June 23rd 05, 11:02 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lawrence
While looking at some of the other shots I got last night I noticed
this one

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050622/strangeray.jpg

Look out for the faint ray that appears to be coming from the
street-light and passing up into the sky close to Mirphak. Probably
something to do with the street-light but I've never seen this effect
before. I'll have to wander down and replicate the shot.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Could it be due to a smudge on lens/filter? Probably too faint to show around other point sources.
Old June 24th 05, 12:01 AM
Martin Frey

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Excellent, it's about time I updated this

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather_001.html ;-)

I'd settle for that it's been muggy and needing a storm to break and
clear the air for days. And who gets my storm.... Bloody Selsey. I
could make a film - The Imperfect Storm.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old June 24th 05, 12:23 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:01:35 +0100, Martin Frey
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Excellent, it's about time I updated this

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather_001.html ;-)

I'd settle for that it's been muggy and needing a storm to break and
clear the air for days. And who gets my storm.... Bloody Selsey. I
could make a film - The Imperfect Storm.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it Martin, it wasn't up to much.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/weather...050624-001.jpg

The Isle of Wight is a fair distance from Selsey. Hell, the lightning
didn't even have enough brilliance to reflect decently ;-)
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old June 24th 05, 08:20 AM
Chris Harris

"nytecam" wrote in message

Could it be due to a smudge on lens/filter? Probably too faint to show
around other point sources.

My initial impression was that it's a negative version of
last December's APOD:

ISTR that the general concession was that the image showed
a small insect flying past the camera - I've tried tweaking
Pete's image but so far I haven't been able to draw out any
features like wing beats.

The ray does appear to align with the streetlight, though.
Another interesting one, Pete!

Cheers
Chris

Old June 24th 05, 04:12 PM
DH

Martin Frey wrote:
Pete Lawrence wrote:

While looking at some of the other shots I got last night I noticed
this one

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/20050622/strangeray.jpg

Look out for the faint ray that appears to be coming from the
street-light and passing up into the sky close to Mirphak. Probably
something to do with the street-light but I've never seen this effect
before. I'll have to wander down and replicate the shot.

Could be crepuscular ray -

doesn't seem to converge exactly on the street light.
Martin Frey

I have to agree with that part at least (no idea about the rest :-) )

Blown up very large, there is quite a separation between the ray line and the
streetlamp.

DH