contrails

Old October 13th 04, 09:24 PM
Paul Murphy

Default contrails

This might be slightly off topic, but the APOD picture today made me
think of it. Has anyone noticed contrails toward the horizon that
appear to go almost vertically downward, as if we're seeing around the
curvature of the earth's atmosphere being 40,000 feet below the path
of the airplane? Is that what's happening? What I'm picturing is
concentric spheres with their surfaces 40,000 feet apart (the larger
one 80,000 feet larger in diameter than the sphere inside it) and
we're on the surface of the smaller one looking up and tracing a line
drawn on the surface of the larger one.

Now for the really off topic question...When I flew from Shannon,
Ireland to New York City, we flew over what looked like a glacier.
Does the curved flight path from Ireland take you over Greenland or
Iceland?

Clear Skies,
Paul Murphy
Old October 13th 04, 09:33 PM
Tom McDonald

Paul Murphy wrote:
[...]

Greenland for sure. Iceland maybe. It's pretty impressive,
isn't it?

--
Tom McDonald
http://webpages.charter.net/tsmac/tmcdonald2672/
Old October 14th 04, 12:53 AM
Tom Rankin

While flying from Frankfurt, Germany to NYC, we were told by the Pilot
that we could see Greenland out the right window.

Paul Murphy wrote:

[...]

Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://mhaa.whodeanie.com
Views and Brews - http://viewsandbrews.com

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.
Old October 14th 04, 04:39 PM
Henry

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
om...

This might be slightly off topic, but the APOD picture today made me

APOD?

Guess it means Astronomy Picture of the Day, but where please?

Old October 14th 04, 04:45 PM
OG

"Henry" wrote in message
"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
om...

This might be slightly off topic, but the APOD picture today made me

APOD?

Guess it means Astronomy Picture of the Day, but where please?

Google is your friend
But so are people here
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

The contrails were in yesterdays APOD, so go to

Old October 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Shawn

Guy Macon wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote...

(Paul Murphy) wrote:

Now for the really off topic question...When I flew from Shannon,
Ireland to New York City, we flew over what looked like a glacier.
Does the curved flight path from Ireland take you over Greenland or
Iceland?

The _straight_ flight path from Ireland to NYC takes you a few
hundred miles south of both Iceland and Greenland. But they might
have flown a little farther north to avoid weather. The straight
flight from LA to Ireland is well over Greenland.

No true. The _straight_ flight from LA to Ireland is well *under*
Greenland. Perhaps you meant great circle instead of straight?

How do you get "straighter" moving over a sphere than a great circle?
Inquiring minds and all that.

Shawn