??? 8" Deep Space Hunter from Modern Thought ???

Old August 7th 03, 04:47 AM
Indianaradio

Default ??? 8" Deep Space Hunter from Modern Thought ???

Anyone got a 8" Deep Space Hunter from Modern Throught?

Is it any good? Is the mirror any good. I know it's Plate glass but that ain't
all that bad in a 8 inch.

Is the base of desent quality?

Inquireing mines want to know.
Thanks for your help.
Old August 7th 03, 02:45 PM
Jon Isaacs

Anyone got a 8" Deep Space Hunter from Modern Throught?

You might do a bit of a google search on this topic, it has been mentioned here
probably 10 times a day if not more.

These are the Guen Sheng Dobs that were first imported by Orion and received
great reviews. Orion then switched vendors leaving GS to smaller vendors like
Hardin Optical, Gary Hand and OPT.

Pretty hard to go wrong on one of these for $300 when it comes with a 2 inch
focuser and a 8x50 finder.

If you are looking for an 8 inch DOB, I would buy one before they are gone.

jon
Old August 7th 03, 04:06 PM
Phil Wheeler

Indianaradio wrote:
Anyone got a 8" Deep Space Hunter from Modern Throught?

Is it any good? Is the mirror any good. I know it's Plate glass but that ain't
all that bad in a 8 inch.

Is the base of desent quality?

I have the 10" version (from OPT = Oceanside Photo and Telescope) and
really think it is well made. It is similar to the Orion XT series, but
made at a different factory these days.

For discussions of these scopes go to:

Phil

Old August 7th 03, 09:08 PM
HarryM

I've had mine for about a month now. I bought a 7MM Nagler for it,
pretty much delivers a sweet spot at 177X which is good for the usual
slight haze and mediocre seeing I have.

Base is particle board contruction, seems sturdy and supports the
scope quite well (not wobbly at all), of course you don't want to get
it wet.

Aimed it at Mars last night with the Nagler and was able to see the
south Polar Cap easily and the Mare Australis. Syrtis Major and the
adjacent large dark areas quite distinctive though I couldn't resolve
Hellas. Perhaps a filter would help out with that.

M13 is marvellous, like a pile of diamond dust dropped onto velvet.

I also have been looking at the Apollo sites. Last night looked at the
A15 site, was able to resolve clearly down to about 2.5KM with a 4MM
Plossl (300X)(based on the size of the small (6KM) crater that the
Rille goes by on its way south) that and could intermittently see the
Rille with averted vision, especially immediately south of Hadley
Delta where it turns. The Rille immediately next to the landing site
was harder but did resolve it a couple of times, think this is because
it is running more East-West at that point so it is not as shadowed as
it's North-South component. Looked like a fleeting thread. Both seeing
and transparency were mediocre.

Esp. Lyrae an easy split at 177X. Ring Nebula also very nice, not able
to see the central star but no surprise there. I think the lowest mag
star I've seen so far is about a 13, that being the one immediately
next to the Ring Nebula on the upper right.

So far I'm having fun with it. Have limited experience with medium
aperture scopes though, before that was limited to a Celestron C90
(not the Astro version). I think it's definitely a good value for the
price, esp. if you are going to be limited in how much you'll be able
to use it by general weather conditions.
Old August 8th 03, 03:33 AM
Etok

"Patrick Timlin" wrote in message
m...
"BenignVanilla" wrote ...
Base is solid, but made of wood. I suspect it's partical board.

I got mine at the same time as you did a couple/few months ago, so I
am new to this as well, but my understanding is that all dobson mounts
are wood. Maybe not particle board, but wood. Materials like metal
introduce way to much vibration into the scope so dobsons are be
definition wood mounts that dampen vibrations vs. something like metal
or plastic.

Of course if I am mistaken, 30 or so people will be quick to correct
me.

Well, only 29 left to go... ;-)
You really know usenet well, don't you?

Heh.