ASTRO: NGC7023

Old May 18th 07, 10:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: NGC7023

ignore the "S" shaped processing artifact in the bright star

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc7023-new-ideas-crisp_xga.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	863
Old May 19th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
ignore the "S" shaped processing artifact in the bright star

That's the weirdest Iris I ever saw. I assume the S is due to many
short exposures with the scope moved between each shot or by stacking
that way. The rest of the bright stars removed so their S doesn't show.
But what you're capturing I don't know. I suppose we have to wait
till fall to find out what's going on here and in M82. Neither are
normal candidates for narrow band imaging (M82 in Halpha but not the
other bands you usually use). Iris is mostly reflection but there is a
bit of emission in it near the core which is what you appear to be
imaging.

Here we again have clouds without rain. Getting to be the norm.

Still have a few from earlier this spring to process, but little time.
Cleaning up acres of woods that blew down in one of our rainless storms
is taking most of my time. Widow makers take a lot of care bringing
down so it's slow going. Will have plenty of firewood this winter!

Rick

Old May 20th 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

that looks quite cool. I guess you'll give us an explanation of what can be
learned from these pictures at some point :-)

Stefan