ASTRO: Arp 17

Old December 20th 12, 09:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 17

Arp 17/UGC 03972/VV 349 is located in Camelopardalis about 230 million
light-years away by redshift. I found no other distance estimates. Arp
included it in his section for spiral galaxies with detached segments.
I assume he is referring to the bright arm pointing nearly straight
north. Arp left no comment on this one so I have no idea what he
thought about this one.

Two notes at NED read: "The northern, smaller component has a higher
UV-excess than the other." and "Late barred spiral with companion
superimposed at 0.30, 356 from center, 0.3 x 0.12, interaction, the
companion is MCG 12-8-8b." Translating, the second comment it is
saying: "The companion is 0.3 minutes from the core at position angle
356 degrees (measured through east -- left in my image with north up)
which measures 0.3 degrees by 0.12 degrees." That's about right for the
larger detached section as Arp calls it though there seems to be a
smaller one to its lower left.

As noted in the second comment, the MCG catalog considers this a two
interacting galaxies. Not to be outdone the VV catalog considers it as
three! Note the core has a dark line dividing it into east and west
parts. Besides the "detached segment (VV 349c) the west core is VV 349a
and the eastern is VV 349b. NED labels all three as "Parts of
Galaxies". NED classes it as SB?. Saying it is a barred spiral but we
have no comment on the arm structure. It didn't get a peculiar
designation however. The UGC says only SB. It resides as a pretty
lonely galaxy with nothing much in the area. Certainly nothing that NED
has much information on so I didn't prepare an annotated image with
nothing but Arp 17 having useful data.

Arp 17 is the least photogenic of the norther Arp galaxies I picked up
in January. The next few will be much better "eye candy" though of
objects most never image -- but should.

Arp's image:
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/A...big_arp17.jpeg

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP017L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	4401  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP017L4X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	4402