A bogus argument

Old June 18th 11, 09:56 AM posted to sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

Default A bogus argument

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/45846

A universe with infinite spatial extent will contain infinitely many
mini-universes. An infinite number of these mini-universes will be
exactly like our own.

------
The argument goes like this: our world exists, so the chance that it
exists must be greater than zero. If it is greater then zero and the
universe is infinite, then there must be an infinite number of worlds
exactly the same as this.

Well, I'm sorry but this is just wrong. This comes from an ignorance
of probability. The problem is with the statement that the chance of
this Earth existing is greater than zero. It is not necessarily so.
The definition of probability zero comes from measure theory and is
not as this naive intuition suggests. If the set of identical Earths
is of measure zero, then the probability that a randomly selected
planet is identical to our Earth is zero.

Either the Earth is in a set of measure zero or it isn't. Our
observation of this Earth is a conditional probability and is
necessarily one whether or not the Earth is in a set of measure zero.

By the way, a set of measure zero may be infinite or even uncountably
infinite. So even if the Earth is in a set of measure zero then there
could be infinitely many. But a random search would never find one.

Our observing this Earth tells us nothing about how many other such
Earths there are out there other than that there is at least one. The
number of Earths is the number of Earths. We don't know.

-----

Another way to look at probability zero is that it is smaller than any
positive number you can name. So it cannot be a positive number. It
also can't be negative, so all that remains is zero.
Old June 18th 11, 11:01 AM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_44_]

"Frisbieinstein" wrote in message
| http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/45846
|
| A universe with infinite spatial extent will contain infinitely many
| mini-universes.

Yes, we call them "galaxies". They look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field

Rest of ignorant drivel snipped.

Old June 18th 11, 02:30 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:56:56 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
Frisbieinstein wrote in
:

Our observing this Earth tells us nothing about how many other such
Earths there are out there other than that there is at least one. The
number of Earths is the number of Earths. We don't know.

That is too simple, and throws away information.
There is much information about earth that shows it did not just 'happen',
but had a way it came together.
From the fact that we know that process exists, we can conclude there must be other earth like planets.

It is typical for global warmers and other envirowiners to just see one aspect,
and then do their fake math with that, while ignoring other realities that stare them in the face.

I remember the case of a prof in Germany, who gave this example about the wrong use of statistics:
He had data that showed that the village with the highest birth rate also had the most storks.
He then concluded that indeed statistics confirmed that storks bring little children.
Old June 18th 11, 10:54 PM posted to sci.astro
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 18/06/11 15:30, Jan Panteltje a écrit :

It is typical for global warmers and other envirowiners to just see one aspect,
and then do their fake math with that, while ignoring other realities that stare them in the face.

That statement is typical from people that deny that global warming
exists, mostly because they are paid to do so.

Obviously, the probability of some idiot doing it for free is not zero,
as you have shown us.
Old June 19th 11, 10:18 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:54:37 +0200) it happened jacob navia
wrote in :

Le 18/06/11 15:30, Jan Panteltje a écrit :

It is typical for global warmers and other envirowiners to just see one aspect,
and then do their fake math with that, while ignoring other realities that stare them in the face.

That statement is typical from people that deny that global warming
exists, mostly because they are paid to do so.

Obviously, the probability of some idiot doing it for free is not zero,
as you have shown us.

He cried while overheated globe on his shoulders spits out ad honimen attacks.
No argument to be found in your reply. Go home and weep.
Stick you head in a tub of water to cool off,
try keeping it down for at least 10 minutes.

Old June 19th 11, 03:53 PM posted to sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

On Jun 18, 6:01*pm, "Androcles" .
2011 wrote:
"Frisbieinstein" wrote in message

|http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/45846
|
| A universe with infinite spatial extent will contain infinitely many
| mini-universes.

Yes, we call them "galaxies". They look like this:
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field

Rest of ignorant drivel snipped.

Dumbass.
Old June 19th 11, 03:55 PM posted to sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

On Jun 18, 9:30*pm, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:56:56 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
Frisbieinstein wrote in
:

Our observing this Earth tells us nothing about how many other such
Earths there are out there other than that there is at least one. *The
number of Earths is the number of Earths. *We don't know.

That is too simple, and throws away information.
There is much information about earth that shows it did not just 'happen',
but had a way it came together.
From the fact that we know that process exists, we can conclude there must be other earth like planets.

But they aren't talking about Earthlike planets. They are talking
about planets exactly like the Earth in every detail. In fact they
don't stop there, they included the entire visible universe.

Phooey on Physics World.