What has this user group come to?

Old February 1st 04, 11:13 PM
Ford Prefect

Default What has this user group come to?

Shawn Grant wrote:
Last Saturday someone posted a link to pornography on this user group. This
wasn't random spam. It was from a contributor who wished to share things.
What was posted was a link to a woman posing next to a Meade LX 90
telescope. This woman had no pants or underwear on and she spread her legs
out very far so you could see all she had down below in full detail.

Well, this newsgroup IS about observing heavenly bodies.... ;-)

I was deeply offended by this. Nudity is very offensive. That is why we
can't walk around nude no matter how free you may feel. People don't like to
look at private parts. People have sex with the lights turned off because
nudity is so offensive.

Everyone has their own limits. Unfortunately, the internet is an
anarchy and anything goes.

Short of turning this into a moderate newsgroup, all that you can do is
ignore those posts that you find offensive.

What surprised me was no one was upset. I was appalled by this. I post say
no to refractors and oh no I have to leave my home overnight due to an acid
spill and I can't get an account with astromart. But this individual post a
link to a series of photos with a woman spreading her legs wide and I mean
very wide to reveal her genitalia in full detail and it was welcomed in this
user group. No one yelled troll, plonk, you are kill filed, how dare you
post this or other such protest. Instead comments were used that the woman
was flexable and the telescope was well taken care of.

You got to see the humour in these things or you will go batty trying to
be the guardian of the internet...

I guess I know what this user group wants. They would rather I post photos
of me naked with my genitalia in full view standing next to my telescope
instead of informative post such as goto ruins the fun and refractors and
questars are over priced. Hey I look a heck lot better then the cat woman.

Sometimes you can fight fire with fire... other times it is best to let
the fire burn out. But if you really want to post pictures of yourself,
that's your call and your risk...