New Big Gemini model

Old September 26th 10, 11:16 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

Default New Big Gemini model

On Sep 1, 1:04*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

The other astronaut - Adam West - had his come straight down on a spire
of rock and blow up before he had a chance to get out of it.

I vaguely recall that movie, but not the details. Of course, just as
Farscape began with shots of the Space Shuttle, this might have been
determined more by the availability of stock footage at the time.

I remember hearing - probably here - about pictures (there's also a
video on YouTube) of a capsule design by one of the major aerospace
companies that would allow a large number of astronauts to be launched
to the ISS by existing boosters like the Titan.

If all that's needed is a capsule and not a new booster to not be
dependent on the Russians to get to the ISS, I am surprised that the
U.S. isn't going for it - if they want to slash NASA's budget so that
it can't develop either the Ares or Obama's replacement for it, one
would think that going for something that would make developing a new
booster unnecessary, at least in the short term, would be a no-
brainer.

Ah, here we are. The CST-100 from Boeing. Sounds like a very good
idea. Naturally, a CST-100 on a Titan isn't going to get us to Mars or
even back to the Moon - but until Congress gets serious about _those_
goals, that would _seem_ like a more sensible way to spend your tax
dollars.

John Savard
Old September 27th 10, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

On 09/26/2010 05:16 PM, Quadibloc wrote:

If all that's needed is a capsule and not a new booster to not be
dependent on the Russians to get to the ISS, I am surprised that the
U.S. isn't going for it - if they want to slash NASA's budget so that
it can't develop either the Ares or Obama's replacement for it, one
would think that going for something that would make developing a new
booster unnecessary, at least in the short term, would be a no-
brainer.

The US has had its policy options boxed-in by recommendations from the
CAIB, the Aldridge Committee, and the Augustine Committee, which all
wrote one variation or another of:

"Manned spaceflight is a risky business. If the US is to continue manned
spaceflight at all, the goals must be worthy of the risks, and LEO-only
is not a worthy enough goal. Only a beyond-LEO program would provide
enough reward to balance the risk."

And that's one important reason (perhaps the most important reason) none
of the serious manned spaceflight proposals since CAIB have been for a
LEO-only capsule on an existing LV.

Ah, here we are. The CST-100 from Boeing. Sounds like a very good
idea. Naturally, a CST-100 on a Titan isn't going to get us to Mars or
even back to the Moon

Or even to LEO. Titan no longer exists. Hasn't for several years.

Old September 27th 10, 02:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 8:42*pm, "Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
[...]

existing atlas and delta heavies paired with a good service module
taking 4 or 5 to orbit should of been picked right after columbias
loss.

NASA insisted on 7 person capsule so no existing booster would be big
enough