switching off a street light with a laser

Old November 26th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Simon

Default switching off a street light with a laser

has anyone managed to prove this theory?

apparently it is possible to point a laser pointer at the
light dependent resister or photo transister mounted on
the top of a street light to fool it into thinking its day time,
thus saving the local authority money, not burning up so much of the
Earths resorces therefore reducing carbon emissions.
unfortunately a regrettable side effect of this is that we all have
darker skies :-)

Simon

Old November 27th 06, 06:37 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Stephen Tonkin

Simon wrote:
has anyone managed to prove this theory?

Let's just say that it's more than just a theory. :-)

You can also put a crappy department-store telescope to good use for
this purpose. Aim it at the sensor, remove eyepiece, hold camera flash
at prime focus, fire, enjoy the demonstration that optical systems work
in reverse as a collimated beam of light ultimately darkens your local
environment....

(The flash-at-prime-focus technique is also great for playing "star
wars" at clouded out group observing sessions, especially if it's
slightly misty...)

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old November 27th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Boo

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
Simon wrote:
has anyone managed to prove this theory?

Let's just say that it's more than just a theory. :-)

You can also put a crappy department-store telescope to good use for
this purpose. Aim it at the sensor, remove eyepiece, hold camera flash
at prime focus, fire, enjoy the demonstration that optical systems work
in reverse as a collimated beam of light ultimately darkens your local
environment....

But don't they just switch back on again ?

--
Boo
Old November 27th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
TeaTime

"Boo" wrote in message
.. .

But don't they just switch back on again ?

--
Boo

Not immediately, because 'they' is actually a light-activated switch, clock
and timer circuit. Street lights turn on and off automatically based on
lighting conditions and time of day. To allow for flicker, passing car
headlights, clouds, etc. etc., once triggered, the light remains on or off
for a sustained time period. When it eventually does come back on, one
assumes that those of dubious intent might give it another blast with the
laser.

Old November 27th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John[_5_]

In message , TeaTime
writes

"Boo" wrote in message
. ..

But don't they just switch back on again ?

--
Boo

Not immediately, because 'they' is actually a light-activated switch, clock
and timer circuit. Street lights turn on and off automatically based on
lighting conditions and time of day. To allow for flicker, passing car
headlights, clouds, etc. etc., once triggered, the light remains on or off
for a sustained time period. When it eventually does come back on, one
assumes that those of dubious intent might give it another blast with the
laser.

I say! This sort of thing isn't cricket you know!!
--
John
Old November 28th 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Stephen Tonkin

John wrote:
I say! This sort of thing isn't cricket you know!!

I know. It's applied optics. :-)

Old December 15th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
JohnDH

Simon wrote:
has anyone managed to prove this theory?

apparently it is possible to point a laser pointer at the
light dependent resister or photo transister mounted on
the top of a street light to fool it into thinking its day time,
thus saving the local authority money, not burning up so much of the
Earths resorces therefore reducing carbon emissions.
unfortunately a regrettable side effect of this is that we all have
darker skies :-)

Simon

Does anyone know what type of pointer is best? I've been looking on ebay
and there's loads. Red, Green, Any thoughts?

Cheers John DH
Old December 16th 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
TeaTime

"JohnDH" wrote in message news:45832c5f.0@entanet...

Does anyone know what type of pointer is best? I've been looking on ebay
and there's loads. Red, Green, Any thoughts?

Cheers John DH

The photocell used to control street lights is chosen to peak on normal
sunlight, so green would be a much better choice than red.

Old December 16th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Simon

whilst im no expert I would be supprised if the lampost`s
makers/designers chose photo sensitive device that
worked on specific wavelengths, but yes the lampost
needs to switch with daylight.

There must be a delay circuit
in them to stop the lights flickering on and off when the light level
is hovering about the switching threshold

Old December 16th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
JohnDH

"TeaTime" wrote in message
"JohnDH" wrote in message news:45832c5f.0@entanet...

Does anyone know what type of pointer is best? I've been looking on ebay
and there's loads. Red, Green, Any thoughts?

Cheers John DH

The photocell used to control street lights is chosen to peak on normal
sunlight, so green would be a much better choice than red.

Green it is
I just need to find where the sensor is. The one outside my house
doesn't seem to have anything obvious, so I guessing a sensor must be on
another lamp which controls a group.

Cheers

John DH