fire !

Old August 9th 05, 01:29 PM
Dale

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:30:48 -0400, "Lynndel K. Humphreys" wrote:

Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

Yeah. Don't worry about it

Dale
Old August 9th 05, 01:30 PM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

Default fire !

Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

--
Mr. Lynndel Humphreys

Old August 9th 05, 01:36 PM
Ian Stirling

Lynndel K. Humphreys wrote:
Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

I asked a much similar question about an earlier flight.
In short, no.
It's the APU (Auxilliary Power Unit) exhaust that you're seeing, on an
IR camera.
As it's quite hot, it looks bright.
Old August 9th 05, 01:40 PM
C.P Kurz

Lynndel K. Humphreys schrieb:
Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

Yes. Especially during launch.

- Carsten
Old August 9th 05, 04:14 PM
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

wrote:

Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

To quote JSC on a previous incident, "That isn't a fire." It's just
the APU.

Mary

We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Old August 9th 05, 06:42 PM
John Doe

Ian Stirling wrote:
I asked a much similar question about an earlier flight.
In short, no.
It's the APU (Auxilliary Power Unit) exhaust that you're seeing, on an
IR camera.
As it's quite hot, it looks bright.

Especially at night when they use IR cameras.
Old August 10th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Dennis

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Lynndel K. Humphreys wrote:
Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

I asked a much similar question about an earlier flight.
In short, no.
It's the APU (Auxilliary Power Unit) exhaust that you're seeing, on an
IR camera.
As it's quite hot, it looks bright.

FYI, the APU is used to power the hydraulic systems (control surfaces,
etc...) during reentry. A regular jet uses power from it's engines.
Gliders have to use APU's.

Old August 10th 05, 11:17 AM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

Never noticed that much heat there before. Maybe the control surfaces were
used more this entry. Anything other than a "simple standard" entry this
time?

. ..

Old August 10th 05, 01:51 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Lynndel K. Humphreys" wrote in message
Never noticed that much heat there before. Maybe the control surfaces were
used more this entry. Anything other than a "simple standard" entry this
time?

It's only visible in IR spectrum.

In fact I'm not even sure you can normally see the exhaust ni visible light.

Lynndel K. Humphreys wrote:
Isn't the shuttle on fire at the tail?

I asked a much similar question about an earlier flight.
In short, no.
It's the APU (Auxilliary Power Unit) exhaust that you're seeing, on an
IR camera.
As it's quite hot, it looks bright.

FYI, the APU is used to power the hydraulic systems (control surfaces,
etc...) during reentry. A regular jet uses power from it's engines.
Gliders have to use APU's.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----