ISS toilet lunacy

Old August 13th 08, 06:53 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Default ISS toilet lunacy

This _has_ to be a multinational government program. :-D
You've got to admire restroom floors with "No Step" warnings on them:
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/ISS_restroom.jpg
That sort of defeats the concept of a "floor" doesn't it?
Also, if you aren't supposed to step on it, why is the floor's surface
textured to assure good traction?
In fact, why do you need good traction in zero g? You try to walk on the
floor you aren't supposed to be stepping on, and you'll just float right
off of it anyway.
Also, check out the adjustable height foot restraints on the toilet...
in the full-up position, this toilet is perfectly set up for Yoda to
use. :-D
That's from here, BTW:
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/space/lectures/lec25.html

Pat
Old August 13th 08, 08:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
[email protected]

On Aug 13, 1:53 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
This _has_ to be a multinational government program. :-D

Well at least your political agenda is well flagged up front! lol.

You've got to admire restroom floors with "No Step" warnings on them:http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/ISS_restroom.jpg
That sort of defeats the concept of a "floor" doesn't it?

You are grasping at straws! lol. Or should I say straw men. Read
the freaking operating instructions! haha..

Obviously since the ISS operates in zero gee there are no floors per
se. Plainly this warning, if it be real (I have a bio-hazard sign
over my toilet, it wasn't put there by American Standard! it was put
there as a joke by me - could be the same here) was intended for that
army of technicians that trudged through the place while they were
building it on Earth. sheez.

Also, if you aren't supposed to step on it, why is the floor's surface
textured to assure good traction?

Plainly in zero gee there is no traction. Obviously the sign was
installed after the fact by the operators - for example, I frequently
come into my office building some days and see a similar sign that
says 'slippery when wet' - if I wanted to be a tool I could ask stupid
questions like this one to the point of making the cleaning lady cry,
but she was just doing her job a job I know little about. Same
here. Clearly, floors that have traction on the ISS cannot be
intended for use in zero gee. Obviously each ISS module is a complex
engineered product. Plainly it is not the result of of the ISS being
operated by a multi-national organization that resulted in this sign -
haha - to attempt to paint this picture says more about you than
anything else.

In fact, why do you need good traction in zero g?

ah -now you're getting it.

You try to walk on the
floor you aren't supposed to be stepping on, and you'll just float right
off of it anyway.

yes, now take the 'next step' so to speak - and realize that this
floor was for the benefit of those who were building the damn thing,
and that because this is an engineered product some areas shouldn't be
stepped on - again assuming the sign is the real deal and not some
after market add on. lol. I mean, I look at the wing root on my 737
as its taxi-ing to take off and there is a little swath that's
textured for good traction - in case I had to hop out of emergency
escape hatch - and right there is a NO STEP sign painted over a hatch
cover. Did they make that for the benefit of escaping passengers?
no. If the plane was ditched and there's passengers on the wings - no
one cares about that hatch cover. They obviously made it for the
technicians who might be crawling around on the wings servicing the
damn thing. Same here.

Also, check out the adjustable height foot restraints on the toilet...
in the full-up position, this toilet is perfectly set up for Yoda to
use. :-D

Yoda is about the height of a 9 year old child - or a full grown pygmy
tribesman. Either of those sorts of people might one day have to use
those facilities.

Old August 13th 08, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jim Kingdon

yes, now take the 'next step' so to speak - and realize that this
floor was for the benefit of those who were building the damn thing,

Well, or as a visual clue to help orient astronauts. I gather that it
can be confusing not knowing which way is which, and making things
look as if there is a "floor" and "ceiling" can help.
Old August 13th 08, 03:08 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Martha Adams

wrote in message
[...]

======================================

I think anyone who might ever be in a high-tech space
systems environment, wants to read the above discussion
closely. But the discussion also provokes an interesting
idea.

Namely, how about giving one of those pygmys a trip out
to space for a week; and bring her back to her people.
Then everyone stay out of their territory for three or
four generations. Then send in a (knowledgeable) person
to see what that story has become after a few generations
of oral transmission in this very non-tech environment.

*Of course* the modern cultures and technologies, not to
say local warlords and the like, are *much* too
aggressive to actually do something like that. But it's
a daydream of a non-hurtful social experiment that would
yield interesting and maybe even useful results.

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Aug 13]

Old August 13th 08, 04:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
eyeball

On Aug 13, 1:53*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
This _has_ to be a multinational government program. *:-D
You've got to admire restroom floors with "No Step" warnings on them:http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/ISS_restroom.jpg
That sort of defeats the concept of a "floor" doesn't it?
Also, if you aren't supposed to step on it, why is the floor's surface
textured to assure good traction?
In fact, why do you need good traction in zero g? You try to walk on the
floor you aren't supposed to be stepping on, and you'll just float right
off of it anyway.
Also, check out the adjustable height foot restraints on the toilet...
in the full-up position, this toilet is perfectly set up for Yoda to
use. :-D
That's from here, BTW:http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/space/lectures/lec25.html

Pat

It almost makes it look pedal powered! I wonder if that helps with
power squeezing? And how can you light a match after?
Old August 13th 08, 06:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Aug 13, 10:08*am, "Martha Adams" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

The Gods Must Be Crazy, part 3.

*Of course* the modern cultures and technologies, not to
say local warlords and the like, are *much* too
aggressive to actually do something like that. *But it's
a daydream of a non-hurtful social experiment that would
yield interesting and maybe even useful results.

An experiment that lasts three generations? That is called a
"country".

Eric
Old August 13th 08, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Martha Adams

wrote in message

[...]

====================================

Eric, child, what you do here is politely called 'humor.'

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Aug 13]

Old August 13th 08, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:27:44 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Martha
Adams" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

*Of course* the modern cultures and technologies, not to
say local warlords and the like, are *much* too
aggressive to actually do something like that. But it's
a daydream of a non-hurtful social experiment that would
yield interesting and maybe even useful results.

An experiment that lasts three generations? That is called a
"country".

Eric

====================================

Eric, child, what you do here is politely called 'humor.'

Almost always inadvertent on his part.
Old August 14th 08, 05:11 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

[...]

Thanks, as that was my intent.
Old August 14th 08, 05:14 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Aug 13, 5:46*pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:27:44 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Martha
Adams" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

*Of course* the modern cultures and technologies, not to
say local warlords and the like, are *much* too
aggressive to actually do something like that. But it's
a daydream of a non-hurtful social experiment that would
yield interesting and maybe even useful results.

An experiment that lasts three generations? That is called a
"country".

Eric

Eric, child, what you do here is politely called 'humor.'

Almost always inadvertent on his part.

No Rand, humor flows, but then you come along and allow me to open the
valve a little bigger.

Let's just say that your sexual preference isn't the only thing that
makes you a "straight man". LOL!!