Kepler mission

Old May 4th 10, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro
Enrique Ferreyra (Pachu)

Default Kepler mission

Hi, i only can find very limited info on kepler mission current
status, just some blog entrys and press releases..

Have some idea of data like how many "candidates" for exoplanets they
have? i know we have to wait 3 years for confirmation of earth like
exoplanets but they just release the find of 5 exoplanets and nothing
from there, maybe they could put some more partial data to keep
interest in the mission...

In next 2 years how many earth like planets you think they going to
find ? 0 / 10s / 100s ?

Old May 5th 10, 03:12 AM posted to sci.astro
Craig Markwardt[_2_]

On May 4, 6:14*pm, "Enrique Ferreyra (Pachu)"
wrote:
Hi, i only can find very limited info on kepler mission current
status, just some blog entrys and press releases..

Have some idea of data like how many "candidates" for exoplanets they
have? *i know we have to wait 3 years for confirmation of earth like
exoplanets but they just release the find of 5 exoplanets and nothing
from there, maybe they could put some more partial data to keep
interest in the mission...

The first few reported Kepler planets were probably more of a proof of
concept than anything. If I remember correctly, these were previously
known planetary systems which were measured to that nth level of extra
precision by Kepler. Kepler scientists and technicians are probably
spending a lot of time refining the algorithms and selection criteria
in order to make the most robust detections. That takes time.

In next 2 years how many earth like planets you think they going to
find ? 0 / 10s / 100s ?

Based on this web page...
http://www.kepler.arc.nasa.gov/Mission/QuickGuide/
it's in the range of hundreds.

Craig
Old May 5th 10, 04:15 PM posted to sci.astro
Enrique Ferreyra (Pachu)

Ok, but no. I remeber detection of know exoplanets. They announce 5
new exoplanets and silence from there.

There are reports of safe-mode events and a broken cell (of CCD) in
detector and no more.

Old May 5th 10, 05:26 PM posted to sci.astro
Enrique Ferreyra (Pachu)

well is something...

http://kepler.nasa.gov/news/mmu/inde...News&NewsID=39

no announcements to (north)winter apparently...