The first private astronaut?

Old December 9th 04, 02:18 AM
D Schneider

Henry Spencer wrote:
[...]
the X-15 was the vehicle that first carried an American into space...

Nope, not correct. The X-15 made only two flights above 100km, both of
them in summer 1963, after not just Shepard and Grissom but also Glenn,
Carpenter, Schirra, and Cooper flew Mercury. When Shepard flew, the X-15
*was* flying, but it was still in testing, gradually expanding its flight
envelope; the highest it had then flown was just over 50km.

A little egg on my face...

Guess I should rewatch that "X-15" movie ;-)

/dps

Old December 9th 04, 04:24 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:34:07 GMT, in sci.space.policy
(Henry Spencer) wrote:

Nope, not correct. The X-15 made only two flights above 100km, both of
them in summer 1963,

I'm nor yet saying you are wrong Henry, but this doesn't line up with the
info given at
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...15/chrono.html

October 11, 1961
First flight above 200,000 ft.

July 17, 1962
First flight above 300,000 ft.

also if you look at Figure 2 at
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...ect/intro.html

are you sure you aren't thinking in meters?

I'm quite sure he's thinking meters... well technically kilometers.

That short only shows two flights over 100km, both in 1963.

Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Old December 10th 04, 01:08 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 04:24:44 GMT, in sci.space.policy "Greg D. Moore
\(Strider\)" wrote:

I'm quite sure he's thinking meters... well technically kilometers.

Doh! Even though it clear said this, my brain saw kft. Burning the candle
at both ends and plotting altitudes in kft must have left it's mark.

Sorry.

That's ok, I had to read it 3-4 times to make sure that you had made a
mistake and that *I* wasn't missing something there. :-)

Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com