'60 minutes' screws up 'one small step' -- yet again....

Old November 8th 05, 01:07 PM

Default '60 minutes' screws up 'one small step' -- yet again....

nevertheless, he had a historic job, promoting or supporting in some
way space.

recluse is what he wanted, recluse he got

The real mistake was having him be the first man on the moon....

NASA blew it totally

Old November 8th 05, 01:38 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
nevertheless, he had a historic job, promoting or supporting in some
way space.

He did?

I don't exactly recall that in his job description.

Just because he didn't do what YOU wanted him to do doesn't mean he didn't
do his job.

Old November 8th 05, 02:17 PM
Herb Schaltegger

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:45:08 -0600, Ed Kyle wrote
(in article .com):

Neil answered all of the questions he wanted to answer back
in 1969. During the post-Apollo 11 interviews, Norman Mailer
asked him something like "Do you ever look up at the Moon
at night and think, "Wow, I was up there"".

Armstrong's answer? "No".

Very similar to Pete Conrad's view of it all. When asked what he
thought about his own trip many years later, he said something like "It
was super," and that's about all.

--
"Fame may be fleeting but obscurity is forever." ~Anonymous
"I believe as little as possible and know as much as I can."

Old November 8th 05, 04:20 PM

Do you really think that?

Mr. Armstrong lives his life the way he wants to, just like the rest of
us. He also knew what happened to Lindbergh and sought to avoid that.
As a family man myself, I don't blame him.

We've had countless "cheerleaders" for space exploration. We've even
had two astronauts become senators and one of those two (also a
household name) ran for President. We had an internationally known
space scientist host his own TV series and cheer on the cause. Without
the Cold War, who knows how long it would have taken for humans to walk
on the moon.

I don't think Armstrong is/was a recluse, he did a job for his country
just like many other Americans who have answered that call. It seems to
me that he has been quite active in aerospace since leaving NASA, it's
just that ex-astronauts aren't in high demand on Capitol Hill or
Hollywood, so the general public doesn't know about what ex-astros do
after spaceflight.

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.

Old November 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:
What I didn't gathered the full meaning of (due to the rate that it was
all happening at) was the critical fuel situation on the LM as it
approached landing.

And of course, if you *had* gathered the full meaning, you'd have been
wrong :-), since the fuel situation wasn't really nearly as critical as it
appeared to be.
Old November 9th 05, 02:18 AM

There were 2 distinct jobs for the first man on the moon, He did the
first great, landing and getting back safe. This part really lasted
just a few days, plus his ordered 6 month world tour.

But part 2 he failed. Promoting manned space and nasa.

say all you want, a more public person could of made a difference.

Old November 10th 05, 08:40 PM
Rocky Top

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

"Flypaste Wingnut" wrote in message
k.net...

He flubbed his line a bit.

I don't think so. He just ran the words together. Most native speakers of
English would not put a stop between the two words 'for' and 'a'.

Yep. It comes out as "fra" instead of "for a". "One small step fra man..."
Linguists call the phenomenon "elision." Too bad people _misheard_ it.

Old November 11th 05, 01:49 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Rocky Top" wrote in message

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

"Flypaste Wingnut" wrote in message
k.net...

He flubbed his line a bit.

I don't think so. He just ran the words together. Most native speakers

of
English would not put a stop between the two words 'for' and 'a'.

Yep. It comes out as "fra" instead of "for a". "One small step fra man..."
Linguists call the phenomenon "elision." Too bad people _misheard_ it.

I guess it's too bad that even Neil admits he probably flubbed it.

Old November 11th 05, 03:01 AM
Neil Gerace

"Rocky Top" wrote in message

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message

"Flypaste Wingnut" wrote in message
k.net...

He flubbed his line a bit.

I don't think so. He just ran the words together. Most native speakers of
English would not put a stop between the two words 'for' and 'a'.

Yep. It comes out as "fra" instead of "for a". "One small step fra man..."

Linguists call the phenomenon "elision." Too bad people _misheard_ it.

Yes! Couldn't remember the word.