ASTRO: Access to Group

Old April 18th 07, 09:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Phil[_4_]

Default ASTRO: Access to Group

A friend ISP has stopped access to binaries newsgroups does any one know of
some sort of web access so he can still get this group.

Phil

Old April 18th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

absolutely Phil

Rick Johnson posted this a few days ago so I could hopefully see some of the
binaries that seem to be blocked on my server:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/webrings/astro.html

it sometimes has a bit of delay in getting the latest postings but it does
work

Old April 18th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Phil wrote:

A friend ISP has stopped access to binaries newsgroups does any one know of
some sort of web access so he can still get this group.

Phil

Besides Replayer Richard mentioned he might talk to his ISP. When I
moved here my ISP didn't carry it. When asked why I was told they
bought their news feed and blocked most alt.binaries.pictures sites as
they were mostly porn and all the kids downloading it were sending their
fees through the roof. After I argued that this group rarely had porn
and then only as occasional spam he put it back but with a very short
retention period, well under 12 hours. I called back and he said that
was only so he could monitor the group for porn and download activity.
When no one used it but me, after two weeks he raised the retention time
to a couple months but also imposed some cap of image bytes on the
server at one time. It holds about 2 month's worth so not a problem
unless someone posts tons of stuff that could have been posted by URL.
That guy wiped me clean. That's when I found Replayer -- which didn't
pick him up at all fortunately as they too seem to have a capacity cap
that goes back about one month. You can go back further for individual
posters by clicking the A button on one of their photos however. It
doesn't pick up text posts unless there's a picture with it. So no
replacement for MySky unfortunately.

As a final resort there are some commercial servers that carry the
group. I even found a free one (long ago lost the URL but maybe someone
here knows it) if you can survive the ads. Until the ISP here did pick
up the group I subscribed to one that was only about $5 a month. Again
I can't recall who it was but did work until the ISP agreed to carry it.
He's just a little guy trying to get started and compete with the big
boys so may be more agreeable than most. Still it's worth a try.

Rick

Old April 18th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

A friend ISP has stopped access to binaries newsgroups does any one know of
some sort of web access so he can still get this group.

Phil

Don't know if your friend wants to pay something for newsgroup access? If
so, I recommend Supernews. It's very good, has a retention for normal binary
groups like Astro of 150 days, is fast and has a very good spamfilter. I am
on Supernews too and pay $5.95 per month and I have a max download of 5 Gb.
Info on http://www.supernews.com

Menno

Old April 18th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:

A friend ISP has stopped access to binaries newsgroups does any one know of
some sort of web access so he can still get this group.

Phil

Don't know if your friend wants to pay something for newsgroup access? If
so, I recommend Supernews. It's very good, has a retention for normal binary
groups like Astro of 150 days, is fast and has a very good spamfilter. I am
on Supernews too and pay $5.95 per month and I have a max download of 5 Gb.
Info on http://www.supernews.com

Menno

Now that you mention it that's the one I used before the ISP saw things
my way about the group. The limit was not even close to a problem with
this group. I don't think we do that in 10 years let alone a month.
Rick