ASTRO: UGC 240 Another one Arp didn't include

Old March 28th 14, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: UGC 240 Another one Arp didn't include

UGC 240 is another galaxy that Arp could have put in his Atlas of
Peculiar Galaxies but didn't. It has a great plume to the west and some
hints of one to the east. It's close companion LEDA 212513 is accused
of the crime of creating the plume. It seems way to small to have so
damaged a much bigger galaxy without significant harm to itself. No
distance measurement has apparently been made for it so I assume it is
possible it isn't even related. UGC 240 is classified as SAB(rs)b with
a red shift that puts it about 380 million light-years distant though a
single Tully-Fisher measurement shows it 100 million light-years closer.
Including the west plume it is some 150,000 light-years across
assuming the redshift distance (110,000 using the Tully Fisher
distance). The main disk is 100,000 light-years across at the longer
distance, 75,000 at the closer distance. The field is in central Pisces.

Two other galaxies are listed at about the same redshift as UGC 240.
Others may be related as well but without any distance data this can't
be determined. In fact there's little information on the entire field.
I'd not have prepared an annotated image but there are 5 asteroids in
the image (plus a 6th that was too faint in the LRGB combine but is
barely seen in the FITS luminance stack.

The image contains three objects listed as UvES (Ultraviolet Excess
Source) which are also listed as QSO candidates. I've seen this a lot
when they have photographically determined redshift data but never
without it. Never before this field that is. So how they are decided
they are likely quasars I don't know. One is also listed in another
catalog as simply a blue star and that's exactly what it appears to be
in the image. At 16th magnitude it is rather bright for a quasar.

Two galaxy clusters are listed. Their positions are listed with a 35"
error circle so the line is drawn to the center of that error circle.
Neither has a listed size and only one has a galaxy count.

There are a ton of interesting galaxies in the image I'd like to know
about but aren't listed in NED at all.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC240L4X10-602R2.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	5043  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC240L4X10RGB2X10R2ID.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	5044  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC240L4X10-602R2CROP125.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	5045
Old April 8th 14, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

the tidal tail seems to be unusually "heavy", it seems to have a large
fraction of the mass of the main object.
If you had a dollar for every "unknown" galaxy in your images you would be a
very rich man :-)

Stefan