Rocket Hull Design

Old August 19th 07, 02:25 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Cibressus

Default Rocket Hull Design

Hi,

I recently watched the move "Astronaut Farmer", in which a farmer
builds his own rocket. After some reflection, I started to wonder how
one would go about building a rocket. The one thing I didn't
understand is how the rocket Hull is designed.

I would think a frame or chassis based hull would vibrate the wields
apart during takeoff, but a cast or turned hull would be impractical.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Terry Price

Old August 19th 07, 04:46 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Damon Hill[_4_]

Cibressus wrote in news:1187486715.685985.50340
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

I recently watched the move "Astronaut Farmer", in which a farmer
builds his own rocket. After some reflection, I started to wonder how
one would go about building a rocket. The one thing I didn't
understand is how the rocket Hull is designed.

I would think a frame or chassis based hull would vibrate the wields
apart during takeoff, but a cast or turned hull would be impractical.

Most rockets are pretty much welded sheet metal; the Atlas rocket in
"Astronaut Farmer" was almost literally a stainless steel balloon.
Saves a lot of weight that way, but the welds do have to be very
strong.

--Damon

Old August 19th 07, 05:57 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Derek Lyons

Cibressus wrote:

I would think a frame or chassis based hull would vibrate the wields
apart during takeoff, but a cast or turned hull would be impractical.

A properly done weld is anywhere from as strong as to stronger than
the base metal - but that is difficult and expensive (and generally
pointless). Odds are, you've never actually encountered one 'in the
wild' (as it were).

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.