NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

Old June 23rd 07, 07:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:31:28 -0700, in a place far, far away, Len
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

and your grandchildren will have to pick
up the pieces and start over. It's so grand that you are educating them
with the wonderful programming of mainstream media and television, so
they'll be eminently prepared to handle the problems of the future.

Where do you get all of this incorrect, irrelevant bull****?

Len, why are you arguing with the most vile troll in the newsgroup?
Why isn't he in your killfile, as he is in ours?
Old June 23rd 07, 08:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
kT

Len wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:23 am, kT wrote:
Len wrote:
On Jun 22, 10:11 pm, kT wrote:
Len wrote:
...snip...lots of irrelevant comments....

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../electrol.html

Interesting and good--but hardly full accounting.

Please feel free to point out any missing Joules there.

I personally believe electrolysis of water in orbit
and on Earth has a lot of potential. So I am not
about to knock it.

The laws of physics appear to be universal, so it hardly matters if you
do it here, or on the other side of the universe, which appears to be
here too.

Looks real enough to me, where do you get your physics, the Journal of
Business Administration? Oh, I forgot you're a fascist, oops, I mean a
libertarian. Sorry. Silly me.

Libertarian is diametrically opposed to fascism;
you were expecting perhaps Lyndon LaRouche?
Your ignorance is glowing brightly.
BTW, my degree is in physics from the
University of California.

So where are the missing Joules in the electrocatalytic cycle?

...snip...

Get off your high horse and do some
serious, practical thinking.
I'm the guy with the single SSME powered SSTO, Len, you're the guy with
the unrealistic space plane, remember?
With a sufficient degree of optimism, I can
make a four-SSME SSTO--with a stowed
rotor for landing--work. SSTO won't
come in smaller sizes without some presently
unrealistic technology.

Any number of SSMEs will work. The SSME is a SSTO rated engine.

Boy, that is some non-sequitur.
Again your ignorance is glowing brightly.

Again, I fail to detect any missing Joules.

IMO, my TSTO
Space Van 2011 requires a lot less optimism.

Less optimism than an SSTO rated engine that already exists by the
dozens, and has flown almost 350 times? Fascists sure are optimistic.

Hydrogen propulsion--a steam rocket--has always
been appealling to me from the environmental
point of view. However, I'm not sure that there
aren't siginicant NOx aspects. Our current vehicle
uses only LOx / kero in both stages. This is a lot
more practical than LOx / LH2--and perhaps not
all that much worse from the environmental point
of view. Both sets of propellants appear to be
far more environmentally acceptable than solids.

So you propose that we embark on an propulsion development program with
little or no actually basis in history.

No I am talking about well-proven, well-tested
Russian/Aerojet engines that are far more reliable
than the SSME. The NK-33 in the first stage
is highly reliable with remarkable perfromance.

The RD-0124/0125 is derived from the RD-110,
which has flown many times more than the
SSME without a failure.

But they aren't cryogenic, so they do not contribute to any state of the
art in cryogenic propulsion or energy conversion now, do they? Even the
SSME is a very old design, which is why we have an IPD - Integrated
Propulsion Demonstrator program to eventually replace it. But, since
they are going to be retired, I see no problems with flying them out to
orbit in a launch vehicle demonstration program, in lieu of say, putting
them into mothballs for 40 years, until someone discovers that they can
be used in a spaceplane that will duplicate the capabilities of the
space shuttle, in 40 years hence, and 10 times the original cost.

Failing to repeat past glories is the republican libertarian way!

Whatever. You'll be gone soon,

...don't count on it--I may surprise you with
what we expect to accomplish in the next
five years....

What's that, more exponentially increasing national debt?

Applying full cost accounting to that yields :

http://www.fms.treas.gov/fr/index.html

and your grandchildren will have to pick
up the pieces and start over. It's so grand that you are educating them
with the wonderful programming of mainstream media and television, so
they'll be eminently prepared to handle the problems of the future.

Where do you get all of this incorrect,
irrelevant bull****?

From NOAA and NASA scientists.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old June 23rd 07, 11:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
Len[_2_]

On Jun 23, 2:53 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:31:28 -0700, in a place far, far away, Len
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

and your grandchildren will have to pick
up the pieces and start over. It's so grand that you are educating them
with the wonderful programming of mainstream media and television, so
they'll be eminently prepared to handle the problems of the future.

Where do you get all of this incorrect, irrelevant bull****?

Len, why are you arguing with the most vile troll in the newsgroup?
Why isn't he in your killfile, as he is in ours?

It was sort of fun for a while to see how absurd
the comments got. But, you're right. I'm tired
of this game.

Len

Old June 24th 07, 05:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
kT

Len wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:53 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:31:28 -0700, in a place far, far away, Len
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

and your grandchildren will have to pick
up the pieces and start over. It's so grand that you are educating them
with the wonderful programming of mainstream media and television, so
they'll be eminently prepared to handle the problems of the future.
Where do you get all of this incorrect, irrelevant bull****?

Len, why are you arguing with the most vile troll in the newsgroup?
Why isn't he in your killfile, as he is in ours?

It was sort of fun for a while to see how absurd
the comments got. But, you're right. I'm tired
of this game.

Yes, planetary science and physics are totally absurd.

If you are really interested, I BLOBBED it :

http://cosmic.lifeform.org/?p=322

---