NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

Old June 22nd 07, 06:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:36:34 GMT, in a place far, far away, Monte
Davis made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote:

Not if it's a foregone tax revenue from an activity that wouldn't have
otherwise happened. Not saying that's the case here, but "foregoing
tax revenues" is a slippery topic (similar to the argument about
supply-side economics). It costs the public nothing to "forego tax
revenues" if in the absence of such a policy, there would have been no
revenues to tax.

Agreed that it's slippery. One could argue from a pure
small-government, leave-the-market-alone PoV that *any* policy with
the intent to foster investment in area X (which means that capital
isn't available for Y or Z) is a thumb in the scales, as surely as a
direct subsidy or a targeted sin tax.

I don't mean to deny the shades of gray; I mean that my preference is,
as much as possible, to reduce the number of labels used for
"government fosters X" and put all means of doing so on an equal
footing. The politics and law of allocating public spending are
complex enough, and give rise to more than enough subterfuge and
misdirection, without pretending that the numbers on the balance sheet
come in orange, patchouli, and Methodist as well as red and black.

I agree. I'm not in favor of further complicating the tax code. I'm
starting to come around t the idea of eliminating the income tax
altogether, and just having a consumption tax (though that has its own
problems, one of which is that it's relatively opaque and painless).
Old June 22nd 07, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
kT

Len wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:32 pm, kT wrote:
NASA - National Atmospheric and Space Administration

I like the sound of that. That's going to be your new NASA in 2009.

I agree that NASA could use a name change.

However, I think changing back to NACA would
be approproptiate: the National Advisory Committee
for Aerospace.

You certainly can be accused of living in the past.

The main message:

You are the problem, not the solution.

I agree that the atmosphere is very important, but
it is not primarily NASA's job.

I believe that was exactly why I am demanding this name change.

All agencies and
all individuals should strive "not to do harm." As
for climate control and change, I don't know who
should be allowed to pick the winners and losers.

Oh, go **** yourself. We're losing. Any winner will do.

Perhaps space shields, mirrors, and/or scatterers
that compensate for harm may be technically,
economically, and socially appropriate; but again,
this is probably not primarily a NASA job--although
NASA could well be involved.

Wow, I'm just speechless. I certainly haven't mentioned any of those
lame proposals. All I am proposing is using NOAA and NASA to demonstrate
credible some solar and hydrogen propulsion solutions to the energy
conversion problem, and to scrub the atmosphere back to 320 ppm CO2.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old June 22nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
rhw007

On Jun 21, 11:02 pm, "GO Mavs" wrote:
I agree about that being a fault of Bush. There is no reason we need to send
men to Mars or set up a space station on the Moon.

We have learned there is a ton we can do with cameras, machines, robots, and
magnetic and inferred technology. Going as far as we can into space should
only be funded privately.

And the next time several NEO's go whizzing by the Earth and we only
know about them AFTER they have zipped by...we can count on the
'private sector' to insure humanity doesn't become the next dinosaurs
when NEOs come stumbling, tumbling and bumbling from behind the Sun
and either miss us by the smallest of time like 33 seconds or so or
actually wipe us out?

WE NEED TO GET HUMANITY OFF EARTH TO STAY !!!

Otherwise, Gloabl Warming, Iraq, homeless, health care, loose nukes,
terrorism, national debt, trade deficit, Immigration etc etc...will
mean SQAUT when they next rock hits and wipes the planet clean. The
only good thing you can realize in the moments before being vaporized
is that Bush and Cheney will be nothing but atomized molecules along
with the rest of us.

Bob...
http://www.commonsensecentral.blogspot.com/

PS...It's time someone Hijacked the Starship!!!
http://commonsensecentral.blogspot.c...-starship.html

or declassify some of the Area 51 technology like the Aurora that was
highlighted on a 2 part History Channel show.
http://commonsensecentral.blogspot.c...e-are-you.html

Old June 22nd 07, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
z[_2_]

BradGuth wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 22, 1:55 am, z wrote:

What is the other first step? We need to get out of here eventually
-- sun only last so long.

Relocate our moon to Earth's L1, then we go for Venus (or vise versa).
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

Venus is not a place where you want to go.. sulfuric acid clouds and 400
degree temps etc. You must be Bush's science advisor
Old June 22nd 07, 07:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
BradGuth

On Jun 22, 10:35 am, z wrote:
BradGuth wrote groups.com:

On Jun 22, 1:55 am, z wrote:

What is the other first step? We need to get out of here eventually
-- sun only last so long.

Relocate our moon to Earth's L1, then we go for Venus (or vise versa).
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
BradGuth

Venus is not a place where you want to go.. sulfuric acid clouds and 400
degree temps etc. You must be Bush's science advisor

Which other planet or moon were you silly folks planning upon going
butt naked?

What about a collective habitat of "VL2 POOF City"?

What about my 256e6 tonne LSE-CM/ISS, at our moon's L1?

BTW, the only advisors our resident LLPOF warlord(GW Bush) has up his
butt are those pesky Zions with a freaking spendy death wish for
anyone that's not 100+% pro-Jewish (aka faith-based ****ology on a
stick, none the less).
-

Old June 22nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
John Schilling

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:02:42 -0000, "
wrote:

bush cant get anything right........

beyond that all profit from space activities should be declared
federal tax free for 30 years to help investments.

way better than spending public money.

But how does giving a tax windfall to the big comsat operators, help
further any cause any of us here are interested in? They don't want
or need cheap access to space, manned Mars missions, infrastructure
in LEO, or any other such thing, and so won't reinvest any of their
newly-untaxed profits there.

The people who *are* interested in those things, aren't making a
profit. And they're having a fairly difficult time convincing
investors that they have any chance at all of ever making a profit.

Not so much so as in the past, sure. There's been some movement,
in the right direction.

However, if the biggest obstacle in your path is the folks with the
money saying, "I don't believe you can make a profit", then it is
really not all that helpful to respond with, "...but now all the
profit is tax-free!"

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
Old June 23rd 07, 01:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
z[_2_]

BradGuth wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 22, 10:35 am, z wrote:
BradGuth wrote
groups.com:

On Jun 22, 1:55 am, z wrote:

What is the other first step? We need to get out of here
eventually -- sun only last so long.

Relocate our moon to Earth's L1, then we go for Venus (or vise
versa). -
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
BradGuth

Venus is not a place where you want to go.. sulfuric acid clouds and
400 degree temps etc. You must be Bush's science advisor

Which other planet or moon were you silly folks planning upon going
butt naked?

dude. sulferic acid clouds and 400 degree tmps.. and nothing to stand on
and its closer to the sun. We need to get AWAY from the sun -- its due
to blow up!
Old June 23rd 07, 01:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
Sylvia Else

z wrote:
BradGuth wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 22, 10:35 am, z wrote:
BradGuth wrote
groups.com:

On Jun 22, 1:55 am, z wrote:
What is the other first step? We need to get out of here
eventually -- sun only last so long.
Relocate our moon to Earth's L1, then we go for Venus (or vise
versa). -
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
BradGuth
Venus is not a place where you want to go.. sulfuric acid clouds and
400 degree temps etc. You must be Bush's science advisor

Which other planet or moon were you silly folks planning upon going
butt naked?

dude. sulferic acid clouds and 400 degree tmps.. and nothing to stand on
and its closer to the sun. We need to get AWAY from the sun -- its due
to blow up!

That'll be news to most people. The sun is too small.

It is slowly warming up though, which will become an issue sooner or later.

Sylvia.
Old June 23rd 07, 02:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
Fred J. McCall

:
: We have learned there is a ton we can do with cameras, machines, robots, and
: magnetic and inferred technology. Going as far as we can into space should
: only be funded privately.
:
:
:And the next time several NEO's go whizzing by the Earth and we only
:know about them AFTER they have zipped by...we can count on the
:'private sector' to insure humanity doesn't become the next dinosaurs
:when NEOs come stumbling, tumbling and bumbling from behind the Sun
:and either miss us by the smallest of time like 33 seconds or so or
:actually wipe us out?
:
:WE NEED TO GET HUMANITY OFF EARTH TO STAY !!!
:

Why?

territory."
--G. Behn
Old June 23rd 07, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.environment,alt.global-warming,alt.politics.bush
z[_2_]

Sylvia Else wrote in
u:

z wrote:
BradGuth wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 22, 10:35 am, z wrote:
BradGuth wrote
groups.com:

On Jun 22, 1:55 am, z wrote:
[...]

well its due to go red giant right? And so it'll become much larger and
occupy the space where the earth is now (thus it will 'blow up'.. like a
puffer fish, rather than an explosion). The Earth may well get pushed
out to a wider orbit, but believe me. We need to be well gone by then!!!