Reconsideration

Old April 10th 06, 11:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.moderated

Default Reconsideration

Certainly, not according to you. But when has Brad ever said anything
sceptical about commercial spaceflight? I'm pretty sure he's a true
believer, right along with you on that one.

Eric Chomko,
To some extent I'll even put up with the likes of William Mook's nukes
in space and that of Tomcat's massively volumetric composite spaceplane
that has got seven of those SSME's in it's butt, along with an array of
45 landing gear wheels that'll have to be rated for 50t each.

Actually, a conventional fly-by-rocket of getting the most tonnage per
ISP into the LL-1 zone is that of a terrific win-win for everything and
everyone. It's even far enough away from our extremely dark and nasty
reactive moon, enough that perhaps a 29.5 day mission seems entirely
survivable (especially if everyone has established their personal cash
of banked bone marrow as Plan-B).
-
Brad Guth

Old April 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.moderated

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 09:20:45 -0400, in a place far, far away,
: (Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my
: monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

: : : Actually, I am making my living right now off a major aerospace firm,
: : : though as a consultant. It's in fact not in my financial interest for
: : : CEV to die, but I still think that it's a misbegotten program.
: :
: : Yeah, you're a consultant to a program you don't believe in. Sort of
: : reminds me of a prude that turns to prostitution.
:
: : Consultants aren't paid to "believe in" programs. They're paid for
: : sound technical advice and services. In fact, what often makes a
: : consultant valuable is their ability to be more objective about a
: : program than those who have a deep stake in it.
:
: I know what a consultant is and what they do!

: Apparently not.

Usually single guys that hope they never get sick. First to go when
budgets are cut. Well paid, but by the hour. Stints can last for days,
weeks, months and sometimes years, but usually they get hired on as
salaried employees if they are around long enough. At least those are the
characteristics of consultants in the IT industry. I suspect it is similar
in aerospace as well.

: It does pay though to have a belief in what you're doing.

: I do have a belief in what I'm doing.

Yeah, the belief is green, always fits and you never have to take it back.

Old April 19th 06, 02:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.moderated

nimcha wrote:

They've designed a
completely new launcher, from the ground up; it's no great surprise
that the maiden voyage didn't work. This is pretty typical for brand
new systems -- even for NASA! Remember Vanguard?

Hell, remember the Soviet N-1?

Pat