To Get an Understanding of the Speed of Earth's Rotation

Old December 23rd 09, 11:51 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Jeff[_9_]

Default To Get an Understanding of the Speed of Earth's Rotation

"One second after the sun sets where you are, the sun will set
approximately two blocks away. So, nightfall is moving at about two blocks
per second or 750 miles per hour, which is just about the speed of sound."

From the Outer Space section of www.worlds-strangest-website.com

Old December 24th 09, 01:35 AM posted to alt.astronomy
_@Jeff_Relf.Seattle.inValid

Default  At the North·Pole, 6 months pass before night returns.

At the North·Pole, 6 months pass before night returns.
Night “falls” at zero miles per hour.
Old December 24th 09, 04:40 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar

"Jeff" wrote in message

"One second after the sun sets where you are, the sun will set
approximately two blocks away. So, nightfall is moving at about two blocks
per second or 750 miles per hour, which is just about the speed of sound."

From the Outer Space section of www.worlds-strangest-website.com

It's actually a tad faster than the speed of sound ... that's why
no one has ever heard the Sun farting ....

Old December 24th 09, 05:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

(Jeff) wrote:
"One second after the sun sets where you are, the sun will set
approximately two blocks away. So, nightfall is moving at about two blocks
per second or 750 miles per hour, which is just about the speed of sound."

From the Outer Space section of
www.worlds-strangest-website.com

Wow. They take a statement that may be true for a specific latitude
at a specific time of year, and extrapolate it into something glaringly
inaccurate, where nightfall only moves at 75% of the speed at which
Earth rotates. Impressive.

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.
Old December 24th 09, 05:33 PM posted to alt.astronomy
jughead

On Dec 23, 7:40*pm, "Hagar" wrote:

It's actually a tad faster than the speed of sound ...

In Equador, it's a lot faster and straight down. Compared to other
latitudes, there's a saying "the sun doesn't set, it crashes."
oc
Old December 25th 09, 04:50 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

Default ? Dan Birchall and Mazlan Binti Othman at the Subaru Telescope.

lid ) wrote:
I see you work with the Subaru Telescope and Mazlan Binti Othman

I do work at the Subaru Telescope (as my signature makes clear), but I
don't work with Dr. Othman - we're just friends due to our shared
interests in astronomy, space and environmental science. The photo of
us at Subaru Telescope is from before I started working there - yellow
jackets and hard hats are for people on tours, not for employees.

Back story: Dr. Othman was in Hawaii for the Pacific Rim Space Law
Summit organized by the National center for Remote Sensing, Air and
Space Law at the University of Mississippi School of Law
(
http://www.spacelaw.olemiss.edu/acti...vents_2009.htm ) and
of course when you work in space science and find yourself in Hawaii,
you have to visit Mauna Kea! (We also went to see "Star Trek"

The still waters of this newsgroup may be stirred more if I note that
for nearly 5 years previously, I operated the UH 2.2-meter telescope,
for observers including our own Dr. Tholen.

Wikipedia isn't a particularly good source of information about me
(I am far from "notable") but I have a little "work homepage," with
various links to other stuff (like my UH work) that I keep failing
to have our webmaster actually link from the staff list:
http://naoj.org/staff/djb/

At any rate, good to see you here
I see you're a digital photographer and a published writer.
Do you smoke ?

No, but if I were chained to the secondary mirror with the scope
pointed at the Sun, I suspect I would.

Happy holidays,

-Dan

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.
Old December 25th 09, 05:11 AM posted to alt.astronomy
_@Jeff_Relf.Seattle.inValid

Default  Is the earth warming ? is it serious ?

Why would you ( Dan ) read Alt.Astronomy ?
What can you tell us about the “Tholen·Bot” ?

I enjoyed your “ http://naoj.org/staff/djb/ ” and I noticed your:

“ Since March 2009, I have been enrolled as
a distance-education graduate student in astronomy at
Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia. ” ?

Why Australia ? Are you getting a doctorate ?

Is the earth warming ? is it serious ?
Old December 25th 09, 05:58 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Nightcrawler

On 12/24/2009 10:11 PM, lid wrote:

Why Australia ? Are you getting a doctorate ?

Is the earth warming ? is it serious ?

It's Paul Hogan's fault, mate. He saw that Subaru and
wanted to have a good day.
Old December 26th 09, 05:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Dan Birchall[_3_]

lid ) wrote:
Why would you ( Dan ) read Alt.Astronomy?

I often wonder about that myself. The signal-to-noise ratio sucks
in here - but there's more signal (and more noise) than on the Sci.*
side (which I also read). Why I _post_ in here is an even more
vexing question, since it might cause some to question my judgement.

What can you tell us about the "TholenBot?"

He knows a lot, isn't difficult to work with, and is a good guy to ask
about small solar-system bodies. Like me, he may lack good judgement,
as evidenced by posting in here.

Why Australia?

My schedule (6 nights at a time above 2,800 meters) necessitates online
classes, and Australian state universities got the jump on US ones when
it comes to online grad classes in astronomy.

Are you getting a doctorate ?

No; I don't want to be an astronomer. I like my job's mix of science
and technology, would gladly operate Subaru and its instrument suite
for the next 23 years or more if I can. Education just helps me do a
better job. I've finished a graduate certificate, and plan to keep
taking classes until I earn a MSc, probably around 2014.

If at some point in the distant future I end up working in outreach or
education, I might consider a doctorate in education. But that's just
an idea in the back of my head for now, not anything I would expect to
actually worry about in the next 15-20 years.

Is the earth warming?

I'm not a climate scientist, but there are patches of snow by the
parking lot here in Hawaii. Draw what irrational conclusion you will.

is it serious?

Not at all. The Earth, like the rest of the universe, is hilarious.

-Dan

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall, Night Operation Assistant, Subaru Telescope/NAOJ.
naoj | Views I express are my own, certainly not those of my employer.
..org | Why do phasers have fewer settings than Kitchenaid bowl mixers?
Old December 27th 09, 12:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy
_@Jeff_Relf.Seattle.inValid

Default  Kids today, they have everything.

You ( Dan ) wrote:
“ The Earth, like the rest of the universe, is hilarious. ”.

Yea, sure, until someone pokes their eye out.

My Christmas was interesting, very tech oriented.
Kids today, they have everything.