ISS needs RotoRooter

Old May 31st 08, 11:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default ISS needs RotoRooter

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:44:53 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Anyone want to bet that if we shoot a douche in one ear, it will spray
right out of the other?

....Except for one problem: Brad Guth *IS* a douche.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 31st 08, 12:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

If the baggies are reasonably close to the Apollo era ones - they
contain an antiseptic to deal with said bacteria.

Do you need to knead it into the turd or not?
Back in the old Salyut/Mir days this problem would be easily solved...
those bags would be flying out of the small-diameter scientific airlock
around two to three days after the log got laid.
And if it ran into a Chinese satellite and destroyed it...well, who the
**** cares anyway?
Turnabout for unfair play if you ask me.
It would just be the *******'s bad karma, wouldn't it?

Ms. Sharon Stone

Old May 31st 08, 03:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

Anyone want to bet that if we shoot a douche in one ear, it will spray
right out of the other?

...Except for one problem: Brad Guth *IS* a douche.

Right up till now, I was resisting the concept of "tampons in the ears"
= "****ed in the head" fairly well.
But I knew that the turn of phrase was going to rear up like that Balrog
down in Moria given enough time. :-D

Pat

Old June 1st 08, 10:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On May 31, 8:44 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

So what's to stop the bacteria in the bolus* from producing gas and
causing the bag to swell up and explode?

* You know, ****.

Just as long as it's not a bolide, because if they find bacteria in
one of those there'll not be a Slow News Day for weeks.

Old June 1st 08, 09:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Default Ejecting; was ISS needs RotoRooter

Pat Flannery writes:

Back in the old Salyut/Mir days this problem would be easily solved...
those bags would be flying out of the small-diameter scientific airlock

Hey orbit math dudes....

I've always wondered Mir/ISS etc....

Could a spring/etc powered ejector be used to put trash (all kinds) into
an orbit where it soon reentered? The plus would be iffen the "equal and
opposite reaction" added something to the station's orbital energy, but I
doubt it would be noticable...
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 2nd 08, 07:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:
Just as long as it's not a bolide, because if they find bacteria in
one of those there'll not be a Slow News Day for weeks.

Most bolusoids start out as fragments of assteroids. If they are from
the assteroid Hermes, that makes them hermorrhoids.
David Bowie once had a hermorrhoid after a severe impaction, that was
created by the Androgynous Strain.
This made him the butt of many jokes.

Pat
Old June 2nd 08, 08:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David Lesher wrote:
Hey orbit math dudes....

I've always wondered Mir/ISS etc....

Could a spring/etc powered ejector be used to put trash (all kinds) into
an orbit where it soon reentered? The plus would be iffen the "equal and
opposite reaction" added something to the station's orbital energy, but I
doubt it would be noticable...

That was the basic idea with the Salyut/Mir airlock trash ejections.
Jettison it with enough velocity to clear the microgravity environment
of the station and let atmospheric drag slow it down till it reentered
several weeks or months later.
I'm sure you could make a spring or pneumatic system to give the trash a
good deal of velocity, and fire it backwards against the direction of
orbit so it reenters sooner.
Another interesting concept would be to jettison the garbage inside of a
inflatable ball to up its area-versus-mass and cause it to slow down
more quickly and reenter sooner.

Pat
Old June 2nd 08, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Lesher

Pat Flannery writes:

Could a spring/etc powered ejector be used....

That was the basic idea with the Salyut/Mir airlock trash ejections.
Jettison it with enough velocity to clear the microgravity environment
of the station and let atmospheric drag slow it down till it reentered
several weeks or months later.

I was looking for an approach that didn't waste air on such...

I'm thinking torsion catapult, seeing as how a trebuchet might have some
issues without a gravity field...
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 2nd 08, 07:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Jun 2, 3:17 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

That was the basic idea with the Salyut/Mir airlock trash ejections.
Jettison it with enough velocity to clear the microgravity environment
of the station and let atmospheric drag slow it down till it reentered
several weeks or months later.

If it doesn't experience enough atmospheric drag on it's first
independent orbit, isn't the baggie going to meet after once around
back at the point of the original impulse, and perhaps go "splat" on a
viewport or solar array?

Obviously it's a big planet and a small target so the amount of
ongoing influence necessary to insure a miss the first time around
would be slight - but I'd be curious to know if enough occurs that
it's considered safe. I suppose even a hit is likely to be at fairly
low velocity (whatever you accelerated it to on separation) but could
also make approach interesting if a shuttle, soyuz, or progress is due
in the next week or so.

Now if they left out the antiseptic, fitted the bag with a nozzle
sealed by a low-pressure membrane, and stored it for *just* the right
amount of time before jettisoning...
Old June 2nd 08, 11:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

wrote:
On Jun 2, 3:17 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

That was the basic idea with the Salyut/Mir airlock trash ejections.
Jettison it with enough velocity to clear the microgravity environment
of the station and let atmospheric drag slow it down till it reentered
several weeks or months later.

If it doesn't experience enough atmospheric drag on it's first
independent orbit, isn't the baggie going to meet after once around
back at the point of the original impulse, and perhaps go "splat" on a
viewport or solar array?

Only if the designers are silly enough to have the system eject in the
radial or out-of-plane direction.

If the designers have enough rudimentary smarts to have the system eject
retrograde, the resulting orbit will have a shorter period so that by
the time the trash returns to apogee, it will be considerably ahead of
the station.

The trash will "lap" the station many orbits later, but differential
drag will have had time to do its work by then and there will be no risk
of recontact.

Obviously it's a big planet and a small target so the amount of
ongoing influence necessary to insure a miss the first time around
would be slight - but I'd be curious to know if enough occurs that
it's considered safe. I suppose even a hit is likely to be at fairly
low velocity (whatever you accelerated it to on separation) but could
also make approach interesting if a shuttle, soyuz, or progress is due
in the next week or so.

Ejections would be planned events, MCC FDO would provide USSTRATCOM with
an estimated state vector, and USSTRATCOM can track anything bigger than
10 cm.