Phoenix Lands on Mars this Sunday!!!

Old May 21st 08, 12:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
jonathan[_3_]

Default Phoenix Lands on Mars this Sunday!!!

Phoenix Home
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph...ain/index.html

News Release
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/news...20080516a.html

Anyone care to stick their necks out and make predictions on what
they'll find?

1) Spheres?

2) Organic material?

3) Will they find the northern lowlands used to be covered by a sea?

4) habitable?

I'm saying yes on all counts.

Good luck Phoenix!

Old May 21st 08, 12:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Somebody throw the Great Martian Ghoul a treat, and distract it!

--Damon

Old May 21st 08, 01:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

On May 20, 7:46*pm, Damon Hill wrote:
Somebody throw the Great Martian Ghoul a treat, and distract it!

--Damon

I grit my teeth alot thinking about leaving the womb of landing bags
and going to thrusters. I think about the landscape that sorrounded
the Vikings and how lucky they were, with that technique. It would be
worth it all to see ice and organics under the camera or in the
results..........Doc
Old May 21st 08, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

wrote in message
On May 20, 7:46 pm, Damon Hill wrote:
Somebody throw the Great Martian Ghoul a treat, and distract it!

--Damon

I grit my teeth alot thinking about leaving the womb of landing bags
and going to thrusters. I think about the landscape that sorrounded
the Vikings and how lucky they were, with that technique. It would be
worth it all to see ice and organics under the camera or in the
results..........Doc

I saw the NASA TV media briefing on the landing a couple of days ago. The
reason for using thrusters instead of air bags is that the bags have
limitations on how much mass they can land.

Old May 21st 08, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:31:14 -0400, "jonathan"
wrote:

Anyone care to stick their necks out and make predictions on what
they'll find?

Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

Oops, sorry. Way to pessimistic lately.

Brian
Old May 21st 08, 02:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones

In sci.space.history Brian Thorn wrote:
Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

Oops, sorry. Way to pessimistic lately.

Well, to put an optimistic spin on it, the crater it makes on impact
will expose enough stuff from below to get some interesting data from
MRO

rick jones
where do you want to be today?
Old May 21st 08, 03:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
BradGuth

wrote:
Anyone care to stick their necks out and make predictions on what
they'll find?

Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

Oops, sorry. Way to pessimistic lately.

Brian

Science via impacting is actually fairly good, especially if captured
on camera at the exact time of impact and shortly thereafter.
.. - Brad Guth
Old May 21st 08, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Wed, 21 May 2008 00:49:50 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

....Part of me is expecting this as well. JPL's been way too cocky
about claiming their success at fixing what killed MPL for me to be
comfortable about the use of a descent engine system over
tried-and-proven airbags. If Phoenix makes an ash out of itself, you
can bet your ass that they'll go back to airbags and stick with them
for the forseeable future.

Oops, sorry. Way to pessimistic lately.

....Well, that's what you get for responding to a troll like
"Jonathan", Brian. Let that be a lesson to you :-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old May 21st 08, 04:36 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 20 May 2008 18:46:54 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

Somebody throw the Great Martian Ghoul a treat, and distract it!

....We tried that. We threw it an English Tea Biscuit, and in revenge
it ate two of our probes!

OM
--
Old May 21st 08, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
eyeball

On May 20, 6:31 pm, "jonathan" wrote:

Anyone care to stick their necks out and make predictions on what
they'll find?

dirt?