Canadian Space Agency to Recruit New Astronauts (Forwarded)

Old April 1st 08, 03:51 PM posted to sci.space.news
Andrew Yee[_1_]

Default Canadian Space Agency to Recruit New Astronauts (Forwarded)

Canadian Space Agency

For more information, please contact:

Canadian Space Agency
CSA Media Relations Office
450-926-4370

Deirdra McCracken
Press Secretary
Office of the Honourable Jim Prentice
Minister of Industry
613-995-9001

March 31, 2008

Minister Jim Prentice Announces Canadian Space Agency to Recruit New
Astronauts

LONGUEUIL, QUEBEC -- The Honourable Jim Prentice, Minister of Industry
Canada and the Minister responsible for the Canadian Space Agency (CSA),
announced at the Agency headquarters today that the CSA will begin a
national astronaut recruitment campaign at the end of May 2008, to select
astronauts to join its Canadian Astronaut Corps.

"Canadians are inspired when they see our astronauts in space, and they will
be proud to learn that even more Canadian astronauts are about to be
recruited," said Minister Prentice. "I am pleased to join the Canadian Space
Agency to announce this new national astronaut recruitment campaign. By May
2009, two astronaut candidates will be selected and will begin their
training to represent Canada in future space exploration missions."

Those selected by the Canadian Space Agency will take part in long-duration
spaceflights on the International Space Station. Among their tasks,
astronauts will help assemble and maintain the Station and conduct
scientific and industrial research enhancing our quality of life on Earth.
"Canada's astronaut corps has been very successful. Our astronauts have
flown in space 13 times in the last 24 years and two more flights have just
been announced. This is an exciting career and we hope that many Canadians
apply," said Guy Bujold, President of the Canadian Space Agency. "To
continue successfully carrying out human spaceflight, we need to maintain a
talented and capable Canadian Astronaut Corps."

The application process will open at the end of May 2008. To apply,
candidates will complete an application form on the Canadian Space Agency
Website. Detailed requirements will be posted on the Website when the
application process begins.

After the period of evaluation and interviews, the Canadian Space Agency
hopes to be in a position to announce final selections in May 2009. Two
astronaut candidates will be selected. A pool of qualified candidates will
also be created for service in the future. Astronaut candidates will report
to Canadian Space Agency headquarters in Longueil, Quebec for a first round
of training and then to NASA's Johnson Space Center to begin the basic
training program that will prepare them for future spaceflight assignments.

About the Canadian Space Agency

Established in 1989, the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) coordinates all civil,
space-related policies and programs on behalf of the Government of Canada.
CSA directs its resources and activities through four key thrusts: Earth
Observation, Space Science and Exploration, Satellite Communications, and
Space Awareness and Learning. By leveraging international cooperation, the
CSA generates world-class scientific research and industrial development for
the benefit of humanity.