A human Mars mission?

Old August 11th 03, 09:37 AM
Christopher

Default A human Mars mission?

On 11 Aug 2003 07:28:27 GMT, (Patrick) wrote:

In article ,

(Christopher) writes:

I don't care if the Chinese space program sends humans to Mars, so
long as I can live long enough to see it happen.

The Chinese may very well be the first to do it, since their developing
country would probably feel that it needs the prestige more than
any other. Realistically, on the other hand, it's hard to see how it could be
done
without major cooperation between the superpowers, which itself
could be a reason to do it (there's value in keeping open friendly
communications).

But even if someone started NOW on it, I'd be surprised if it could
happen in the next 50 years. How are they going to get there?
A Hohman-transfer orbit would require keeping astronauts alive
for about 2 years, 14 months in space and the rest on the surface
of Mars. What's the longest anyone has lived in space? A year?
Is it possible to counteract the effects of no gravity on the human
body? Nobody knows yet. Is it possible to make a system that
can provide food/air continuously for long periods away from earth?
A mars-direct launch might cut the time but then you need
a BFR (big f****** rocket), which we don't have now. You'd probably
in either case have to build a ship in orbit, not launch it from the earth,
and you'd probably need at least two, one to go ahead of time
to set up a supply base on Mars. Right now we can't even build the
ISS because of the shuttle problems. So even if we want to do it and
decide to do it, it's a major, major, major undertaking, even if
dollars were infinite.

I could hang on till 2041 but not for much longer.

This web page has documents on the issue. The first one has the
details of the mission and the options ("Practial Methods for Near
Term Piloted Mars Missions"). The windows doc file version worked
on my computer (the text version had every paragraph as one long
sentence in my browser):

http://www.nw.net/mars/marsdirect.html

Thanks for the url, but I already know of that site.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 11th 03, 09:44 AM
Christopher

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:49:17 -0700, "Jason Rhodes"
wrote:

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
.. .

"Jason Rhodes" wrote in message

To maybe, but then your country never had an empire like mine.

Can you rephrase this sentence to make your point clear? The first

clause
is total nonsense and it is hard to understand what you are implying.

Insert the word you in the first part.

Jason

So his point was that by virtue of his being British,

English.

he has a better grasp
of the intricacies of empire building, trade, and exploration (and how these
are related) than anyone of any other nationality?

Something like that. Rule Britannia.

If that isn't his point,
I still don't know what his point is.

*He* was replying to the tangent this thread had developed into.

If that is his point, I disagree.

No change there then.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old August 11th 03, 10:01 AM
Paul Blay

"Christopher" wrote ...
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:49:17 -0700, "Jason Rhodes"

So his point was that by virtue of his being British,

English.

he has a better grasp
of the intricacies of empire building, trade, and exploration (and how these
are related) than anyone of any other nationality?

Something like that. Rule Britannia.

Nah, I think it was that the British Empire was a different kind of empire.

American imperialism is in order that every country may, indeed must, have
the privilege of eating McDonalds whereas the British Empire was to ensure
an ample sufficiency of former colonial countries to beat our socks off at
cricket.

I'm glad I was able to clear that up for you.
Old August 11th 03, 04:30 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:03:43 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

You're indicting us because we don't want to spend $100 billion to
raise our flag on Mars? I'd like to see a manned expedition to Mars in
my lifetime, but there are many more important things to do with that
kind of money right now.

That was the same argument used against Apollo, IIRC. If we wait for
all the "important" things to be done with that money, we'd never use
it to go to Mars. Or anywhere else, for that matter. As another
poster pointed out, if the English had waited for everything to be
perfect back home before colonizing North America, the map would look
very different today.

Old August 11th 03, 04:31 PM
Sander Vesik

Patrick wrote:
In article ,
(Christopher) writes:

But even if someone started NOW on it, I'd be surprised if it could
happen in the next 50 years. How are they going to get there?

50 years is a long time - in that time we (as a species) will have
doubled the time we have been exposed to spaceflight.

A Hohman-transfer orbit would require keeping astronauts alive
for about 2 years, 14 months in space and the rest on the surface
of Mars. What's the longest anyone has lived in space? A year?
Is it possible to counteract the effects of no gravity on the human
body? Nobody knows yet. Is it possible to make a system that
can provide food/air continuously for long periods away from earth?

you don't need that if you can send out 6 supply sattelites - 3 for the
way there and 3 for getting back to rendezvous. Plan to miss one on both
trips, so a refueler will need to carry about 8 months worth.

A mars-direct launch might cut the time but then you need
a BFR (big f****** rocket), which we don't have now. You'd probably
in either case have to build a ship in orbit, not launch it from the earth,
and you'd probably need at least two, one to go ahead of time

You can send a lot of small(er) ships to carry suplies, you can start sending
them well in advance, they can continue to leave Earth when the main mission
is in progress and a large portion of them can definately use fuel efficent
ion propulsion.

Patrick

--
Sander